FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

What's the Soulstone Power of Humans?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why couldn't it have been the Siderean Powers? She could have accessed them before she got the swords - it's in a lot of books that people get the powers before they get the control device.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
JackAce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Especially since the blast was white, like the Siderean Power. If it were Nan's own Power I would've expected it to be green, like her Soulstone...

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
RoseBlood

Location: Gallifrey. . . (Before the Time Wars. Duh- I time- traveled to get here.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet as far as I've noticed of the species on Earthsong, none have intuition. Could that magnify into a mild psychic ability of its own? Possibly an Alice- esque vision of the future. . .

"It's like i have ESPN or something! Like a fifth sense!"
(mildly relevant quote from mean girls. don't ask)
'I want you, bleeders......'
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
Asa wrote:
And Teh Lady isn't commenting...

And that in itself is an interesting piece of fact...

Teh Lady can't comment. That would just spoil all the fun Wink
JackAce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyYates wrote:
JackAce wrote:
Asa wrote:
And Teh Lady isn't commenting...

And that in itself is an interesting piece of fact...

Teh Lady can't comment. That would just spoil all the fun Wink

That's exactly what I meant.

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I first suspected something with magnetism and who knows, white is the combined part of the wisible specter of electroMAGNETIC waves.
But I like the 'Iron will' much more. especially since my nick is derived from it Smile.
Virturealm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I would be kinda dissapointed if the power was will. That's not really a human trait so much as it's just the universal protagonist trait (who of course have an uncanny tendency to be humans), and it's hard to portray it as anything other than "I, the author, couldn't think of anything unique about us".

The trick is probably not to find something special, as nothing will seem that way to a member of that species, but rather to pick something mundane, and give every other species a weakness to it. ("What? Humans can FLOAT? That's incredible, we sink like rocks" and then humans get Jormands water powers)

My personal fav, is that humans have an arboreal history, and thus have monkey powers. And looking at most of the other races, demons and dragons for instance with massive hooves or wings, how well could you picture them maneuvering around a jungle gym? Give a human a soulstone boost on Earthsong and the superpower comes up essentially as superhuman agility (aka ultimate ninja), which Nanashi definitely already has, far moreso than any other character.
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humans are great at making things work. Maybe the power would be to be able to take common items and turn them into something useful with thought? It would be a sword from the stone in a different sort of literal way.
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
Scrutoniser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno bout u, but i think Nan's will was strong with out the stone and she has a power thats only related to it. Perhaps something to do with the energies repeling one another.

After all we know that when willow touched the stone it caused a great fuss becuse she should have died becuse her stone was not of the same type and the two different energies don't mix well.

So... hypotheticaly, you could use the energies of a soulstone against it's self. or use one to cancel out the energies of another (like willow).

In conclution i think humans may have some kind of counter attack power
theBSDude

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virturealm wrote:
I have to say I would be kinda dissapointed if the power was will. That's not really a human trait so much as it's just the universal protagonist trait (who of course have an uncanny tendency to be humans), and it's hard to portray it as anything other than "I, the author, couldn't think of anything unique about us".

The trick is probably not to find something special, as nothing will seem that way to a member of that species, but rather to pick something mundane, and give every other species a weakness to it.

If will is, as you put it, the universal protagonist trait, couldn't that make it mundane? Hear me out: what if humanity is the only race that writes stories like that? Maybe the heroes of every other race have some legitimate advantage. We like our underdogs, heroes who triumph over impossible odds, and that happens quite regularly. Not just in stories, but in actual history. The crossing of the Delaware, anyone? In those cases, maybe Will is the same as Luck.
Heh, I've put a lot of thought into this kinda thing; can you tell?

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Cypher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'root for the underdog' thing is largely cultural as well. Western culture seems to like stories of plucky little guys who pull themselves up through effort and a little luck. Stories like Oliver Twist, etc. were common in the Industrial Revolution and others. Americans still think "Remember the Alamo" is a wonderful battle cry, despite the fact that the Texans got completely slaughtered there.

In Eastern stories, anime, etc, the protagonist is much more likely to be someone with genuine superiority to everyone else. If you think of a lot of anime series and manga, the main characters spend the first few volumes shredding their way through the enemy before they finally meet someone who is equal to themselves.

I honestly doubt willpower is the human's ability, because it's not really a power. Sure, it's handy against corruption and mind-influencing effects, but the vast majority of people don't have those abilities. It'd largely be a waste. Plus there are weak and strong willed members among all species, so...

On the other hand, in fantasy worlds, humans are usually the middle of the road race. They're good at everything, but not as good as some races. Their big strength is usually numbers and the fact that they absolutely refuse to quit. So you could say that willpower really is their advantage. It all depends on how you look at it.

Officially dubbed Pez by AsA
Cypher = code = problem = puzzle = Puzz = Pez

Keeper of Skogul's berserk rage, and the Endless Void.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still stick to my original ideas that adaptability, courage, and iron will are all likely candidates. A single human, placed in an impossible situation, is quite likely to find some off-the-wall chance of salvaging everything and winning the day...

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Shouta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, would all powers be the same for every member of the race? I was under the assumption that even those of the same race would have their powers manifest differently.
Tamir

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unless I'm very much mistaken, members of the same race (with the same soulstone element) will manifest the same power.

Say, you look new. Wink Why not make yourself an introduction thread over here?
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a rumor that different members of a race would manifest their powers differently, but the power itself would always be the same.

(ie, Zaebos could control his fire with hand gestures and somebody else would control it with dancing or something. Either way, fire is controlled and summoned.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: