FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Progression of a Dress

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Progression of a Dress Reply with quote

On the last forum, I had something called 'Evolution of a Sonnet' (or whatever), where I posted the rough copy showing how I write sonnets. Well, today I realized I had the same thing with a dress, so here it is. I spent a hour at the crappy campus scanner last night, messing about with them in Photoshop because the scanner was so crazy. (it scanned in negative!)

Stage 1
I usually draw profiles, but this time I was doing it to get stress off my mind, so I took on something more challenging - full-frontal design!

Stage 2
I ripped out another sheet of paper and laid it on top, then rubbed the back to get an imprint of the first drawing on the second sheet of paper. This I went over in darker lines, then folded the paper and did another rubbing. Hey-presto, a full figure! The waist is much too thin here, but I can deal with that.

Stage 3
I did the same sort of rubbing technique from the full figure to the back of an ad, which happened to be on white paper. I shortened the waist and the skirt. This was at work, and I only had pens available, otherwise it too would have been in pencil. i did the initial outline in blue, and then did the actual design in black so it would stand out - but it turns out it doesn't matter, since I scanned it in grayscale! Regardless, it was just for the mindlessness and concentration value, so it was all right. I got a lot of compliments at register for it, which was nice. I decided to stay simple, a)because it was pen and b)because I didn't want to mess it up with too much chaos.

Something else I noticed was the progression of the face. it started out much younger looking and round, and ended up mature and long and sad. I wonder if that means anything...

Remember folks - the important part is not the shape of the figure, which is bound to be crappy. It's the design itself. What do you think?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Lithrath

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's lovely. I can't quite identify the vibe it gives me though...gothic, perhaps?

Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking strictly from graphic design and not dress design, it feels like it needs more "white space" up top, or less "white space" down below. Otherwise, I think it's absolutely gorgeous...

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you explain what you mean by 'white space'? If you're talking about the squiggles denoting lace, the scan wasn't very good. The squiggles in the bottom panels of the dress are supposed to be darker, and the skirt itself is a gray tone. So is the body of the dress under the lace - it's black lace over a lighter base, with the collar and sleeve marked by seams. The sleeves of the dress are all lace, and there's a small flounce at the bottom.

If you meant the image itself... were you talking about the border of the white space around the figure? Yeah, if this was an actual picture, it would be, but it was very quick, and very rough.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he meant that there's a big pale panel down the middle of the skirt which isn't reflected in the top of the dress. Makes it look unbalanced/top-heavy.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly as Space put it. I'm rather inept with dresses, I must admit. I know nothing about them, or even how to explain them.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's probably also the fact that the skirt is most likely to short of the figure contributing to that. If it was in proportion, it would probably look better. And if I colored it, to show you that there's a big white panel up top too, under the lace. And that the skirt is supposed to be darker than it showed up in the crappy scan.

But yes, if this what what I actually drew, you'd be right. I agree.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Arts 'n Crafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: