FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Anime/Manga thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Squeeself

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squee'd probably hold off on some of Nem's recommendations for a couple years then...Those are all fairly violent and/or aimed at a more mature audience...

Also, this is anime. There is no "realistic" style, only variations on anime style Wink Hard to find any non-anime style Japanese animations without going back to Tezuka and such (and he practically invented the style). So Squee'll just assume you mean less "cartoony" anime.

Squee doesn't like Naruto & Bleach, so hard to recommend stuff, but let's see...Death Note is very good and probably fits your qualifications. Fullmetal Alchemist is a also a common stepping stone from the genre you've been watching. You could also try a slightly older style, like say Trigun. Again, hard for Squee to give recommendations to people liking shows Squee doesn't, but those should be good starts.

Now if you're into any number of other genres such as romantic comedies or slice of life animes, well, Squee can give all kinds of other recomendations Wink
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ergo Proxy may be good. I've yet to finish it, but I like what I've seen so far, and I've heard good things of it. It can be a bit violent - but it's not too bad.
Virturealm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBSDude wrote:
I've been watching Bleach with my little sister, so along with the nebulous "good," it should be suitable for an emo-esque Indy middle-schooler.

Again, I've only read the TVTropes, and watched the openings (over and over again due to my Stepmania addiction) but in that case, I think you should definitely look into D.Gray-Man, and perhaps Soul Eater, as the second thing that popped to mind. Both are the same age bracket and genre as Bleach, they both seem to have a lot more fans than not-fans, and both have the whole stylish gothic thing going on top of it.

Course, that's just the recommendation for more of what you guys already seem to like...
__|..|..|__|
Squeeself

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Ergo Proxy may be good. I've yet to finish it, but I like what I've seen so far, and I've heard good things of it. It can be a bit violent - but it's not too bad.

Ergo Proxy starts off pretty decent...and then goes nowhere. It gets a too caught up in its strangeness to actually let itself become a good series. Squee initially started watching it for the art style...but even that became inconsistent and lost its shine by the end.

It's not bad, but Squee wouldn't give a recommendation for it unless you're out of things to watch...
Ravenna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good starter anime might be Escaflowne. There is some violence and fairly frank depictions of war, but it's no scarier than say, LOTR.

I've ironically been watching much less anime since I went to Japan... Ourhan High School Host Club is good for a laugh, but it can be rather zany at times. I've been watching much more violent or fairly dark anime since I was 12, so I'm having a hard time coming up with something that's aimed for the younger 'uns, but not completely fluffy.

As for FMA: Brotherhood, thus far there's been more exposition as to what happened during Edward and Alphonse's little "transmutation incident", which is quite interesting. The second episode was most definitely worth my time. The third episode was a rewrite of the first Lior arc, and I'm not entirely happy about how Rose's character was depicted this time around, and Alphonse was much less sympathetic towards her.

Only 5 episode titles have been announced so far, so I'm not sure how many episodes have actually been commissioned. If the worst comes to the worst, it'll be a retelling of all the really depressing episodes, but with added angst. D:
Nem

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda anime related since it's based off one.

Mild blood warning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2L8Mgxd5Q

Not quite sure what I think of the bit where she seems to be running through the air. I always thought of vampires as being crazy strong rather than being somehow philosophically enlightened but it might just be my eyes.
- Issa
Ravenna

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**le sigh** It's a Hong Kong wire team doing the stunts more than anything vampiric styles at play.

I'm not sure how I feel - the effects seem to be a step BACK from Blade II, and it obviously seems to be disregarding a lot of the story from Blood+, so I'm not sure which is more canon. I've not gotten around to reading the original manga for Blood the Last Vampire, and have only flicked through Blood+ manga casually.

I'm sure it'll be a fun actioner, but I'm getting a bit of a Hollywood "We don't need to check the plot, all we need is Yuen Wing Po!" vibe from it. :-\
I'll reserve final judgement for it's actual release, but I'm not feeling too hopeful. More looking forward to Bunraku XD
theBSDude

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I found a free manga site (http://www.onemanga.com/) and read the first thirty-odd issues of Bleach.

Now, reading my Western-style webcomics, I keep finding myself reading right-to-left.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Virturealm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An odd side effect of this anime thing. I can't really remember the last time I watched a tv show, AS it was coming out. Whether legitimately or illegitimately, pretty much everything can be marathoned. So this afternoon I made the mistake of starting to browse through a show that wasn't done yet (Eden of the East, pretty cool. I think it's by the same guy who did Ghost in the Shell), and only after finishing everything available did the reality of the situation sink in, that it would be months until I can actually finish this...

How did the television industry survive before boxed sets and interwebs?! This is crazy!! You're all mainiacs!! You'll never get away with this!! I'll make sure of- .....hold on, I think I lost my train of thought...
__|..|..|__|
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I've had several shows it's taken me years to finish - not because they're slow, but because I can't find the next episode. There are like, two that have been pending for three years. Does the next episode not exist? Was it dropped? What happened??
Death Note

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnimeFever.org
You can watch a lot of good anime on it but you can only watch so much per day witch sucks but still its good. it has all bleach episode and movies + Blood the last vampire and a lot of other good stuff Very Happy

P.S Remember It's .org NOT .com
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished a really good anime called Toradora. It is amazingly funny and adorable - and quite often just downright weird. But wow. Awesome! X3

I'm half-hoping it gets picked up by a company in the US (which isn't looking likely, seeing how ADV just went down the toilet - and so soon after Geneon! - and I would assume the remaining companies are going to try and play it smart) - mostly because I want to own it, really badly. On the other hand, I'm very picky about dubs . . .
Ravenna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread Phoenix Down! Because I can.

Towards the Terra: Is AWESOME, but is very sad in places. It's a sci-fi anime, set in a universe where humanity has left Earth behind for a new system of planets, and claims that a group of people called "Mu" are to blame. Our hero is young Jomy Marquis Shin, who is ousted as a Mu and is forced to flee his home and parents and join the Mu in the war against the Grand Mother's goverment.

I can tell a few forumites are already rolling their eyebrows, but the characterisation is good and there is an excellent Magnificent Git in the shape of Keith Anyan. However, you should be warned that this anime has a body count as high as Starship Troopers, and you will cry. It's a beautifully crafted series with a great soundtrack, and if you liked Escaflowne, you'll love it.

Evangelion 2.0 - You Can (Not) Advance: OH MY DAZE. I know Evangelion has been something of a polariser here, but this was some good stuff. SHINJI MANS UP. NO, REALLY. I didn't know whether to cry for joy or punch the air in a manly fashion. Dare I say he was on par with Chuck Norris? Maybe not yet, but maybe a mini-John Connor. I don't want to spoiler it completely, but those three words could be enough for most nay-sayers.

There is still things to be explained, and the film ends on a doozy of a cliff-hanger (not quite on Dead Man's chest level though), but this is a much more well-rounded work than the original TV series*. There have been some MASSIVE plot changes as well, moon-crater sized. Shinji actually uses his noggin, Asuka is still a cow but she is direct about her problems and Shinji AND Rei both develop spines. There is some trippyness there, but it's no-where near as over-whelming as it could be.

The one thing I really didn't get was Mari, even though her final fight scene was made of win, she kind of jarred out. I'm assuming that she'll get more screen time and exposition in 3.0. There was much more world-building this time around, and the animation sequences were a thing of beauty. The explosions and fight sequences were great, though if you are squeamish, the Angels tend to bleed a LOT when injured. The soundtrack work done by Shiro Sagisu is most excellent. There are some odd background song choices, but they make sense in the Japanese language lyrically. I'm undecided there.

* I have heard explanations for the lack of evenness in the series was due to budget constrictions (they ran out of money by the final episodes) and Anno going through a massive depression and possibly abusing his medicine. You were essentially watching his descent into a living hell. D:

EDIT: WHAAAT? There was an after-credit closing scene and a preview of 3.0, but seriously ANOTHER DOOZY OF A CLIFF-HANGER. Is Yazawa Ai helping to write this?
Virturealm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, as I noticed while playing through TtT's opener in Stepmania a while ago, it has Grimwatch in it. That's gotta count for something. Haven't actually heard much about it besides that. >_> (heard lots about EVA. Pretty much as described) I might have to bump TtT up a bit on my to-watch list...Lately I've been starting something new and getting bored about six episodes in. Maybe something less episodic would help...

It would also help if so much of my mind energy wasn't being eaten by one series in particular, which it seems I haven't brought up before, so I think I'll bring it up.

Umineko No Naku Koro Ni. Let's see how well I can summarize...First of all, it's a visual novel, a medium generally used for dating sims and the like, but there's a few gems in there. In this case there aren't even any interactive sections, so it's pretty much just a series of books, that happens to come with it's own amazing soundtrack (and...passable visuals). It has an anime, currently airing (the hype for which got me into the series), but it seems to suffer from pretty serious adaptation compression problems. The story operates on two levels:

One: 18 people come together on a possibly haunted island (which they own), for a family conference, so they can squable over the inheritance of the sick patriarch. They're trapped there by a typhoon, and end up being slowly killed off in a series of seemingly impossible murders. Story follows one character, the designated "detective", as they all try to not get killed, and figure out who or what is after them (is one of them a killer, or is a legendary witch using them for her resurrection?). At the end pretty much everyone is dead, and time resets in order for them to try again in the next book (similar to Higurashi, by the same writer).

Two: There are two rivals. One of them claims to be the golden witch Beatrice, and her rival thinks she's full of crap. To convince him otherwise, she tells the story of how, this one time, she killed an entire island full of people, in ways that no human could have possibly accomplished. If the rival can't figure out how the crimes were committed, he would be forced to acknowledge the existence of magic (which would be very bad, for complicated reasons).

The stories in level two, the meta-world, are of course the various iterations of level one. The problem though, is that the witch is in control of the story, and as time goes on she shifts the perspective away from the detective, and towards her own viewpoint. Soon enough you're reading about magical duels, laser blades and hoards of goat monsters, in between the scenes of grisly murders. Only what the detective sees can be trusted, everything else needs to be analyzed, in order to figure out how much of it's real and how much is not.

The whole thing could be called one big sendup of the classic mystery tropes, and it a lot more complicated than I can easily describe (especially the meta stuff) The characters are great. The anti-mystery elements are entertaining. The anti-fantasy elements are basically crack.

(at least if you're like me and enjoy nothing more then speculating and theorizing about stuff on the internet. Last thing that got me this fired up was analyzing the video game industry to figure out which characters would get into the last Smash Bros game. I understand that's a bit strange.)

5 books have been written (out of presumably 8), 4 of which have fan-translations. It's been pretty much eating my brain since last July
__|..|..|__|
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I might mention the Bleach manga for a moment I really like Kyōraku's sword's special ability.

Spoiler:
'Katen Kyokotsu's power is to make children's games real.

Takaoni; whoever is higher up wins.
Kageoni; whoever steps on a shadow loses.

If you win you live, if you lose you die.'

What a neat idea! ^_^
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: