FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

How does Netflix REALLY work?

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: How does Netflix REALLY work? Reply with quote

My family is considering Netflix to replace our basic 20 channels + OnDemand, but the website is being frustratingly vague (of course). So can anyone give me a firsthand account?

Can you play the streaming internet movies on more than one computer in the house at the same time?

If you have a Netflix subscription, can you use it on a laptop out of the home?

Those are the main questions. If anyone has any warnings, interesting quirks, or general knowledge, please speak up!

Thanks,
Asa

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Miho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah, my sister has a netflix, but she does the kind where they send her movie once she sends it back. The turn around time is like 3 days she says and she absolutely loves it.

My brother gets it via internet however he has it hooked up to his t.v. and can watch it on his t.v. You can watch it on laptops and desktops.

I believe you can stream it onto more than one computer because my apartment and the apartment next door shares a netflix account. I've never actually logged on, but the boys watch movies and so do some girls over here on the account, so I'm going to assume you can.

That's all I really got to say about that. I would log in and check it out for you but I lost the paper that had the account information and I'm too lazy to go ask the boys for the info. If I get off my butt I'll for sure let you know. Wink
Squeeself

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The streaming should be able to be done on multiple machines at once Squee believes, though never tested it (online had netflix for a short time before cancelling due to money). And there's really no way they'd be able to prevent you from using it outside your home...It's not tied to your IP address, since that's bound to change.

In general, Squee's stopped renting DVDs in any shape or form because every single DVD Squee has rented over the last couple years has been badly scratched...It's like they all give it to their 2 year old for playing frisbee when they rent it! I mean, how in the world do you get DVDs THAT DIRTY. And it's not just once or twice, BUT EVERY TIME. So Squee has never used Netflix's actual mail service, though Squee's never heard many complaints from others.

Their online streaming, on the other hand, is great. Squee's only complaint at the time was the limited selection, but they're constantly adding new movies to streaming, so Squee doubts it's a problem anymore.

If you're planning to drop your cable subscription, Squee recommends either hooking a computer up to your TV or getting a TV appliance to stream content from your computer (Squee uses an Xbox 360). You can then not only stream Netflix movies to your TV, but TV shows through various websites (Squee highly recommends Hulu.com)
Lani

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm basically in love with netflix. My family has used it for years, and we've never had a problem with a dirty/scratched disc. I think they check them routinely and toss the ones with problems.

And as Squee mentioned, the online streaming is amazing. It's easy to use with the xbox, but I've also hooked up my laptop to my TV and that's brilliant, too. Their instantplay selection isn't the most brilliant, but they have most popular tv shows and a lot of classics. I've never been unhappy.

I now posses a Bachelor of Science in secondary education. I am excited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: