FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

In the beginning...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Tyris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The year was 2006, we were still an "I" and it was the summer holidays, so spare time was in abundance.

Browsing Karen Traviss' blog on starwars.com, I found a mention of Penny Arcade, as she had, four years previously, been quite pleased with a strip featuring the Republic Commando game ('cos she does the novels, see). However, she didn't actually link to the relevant bit of the archives, so I went on a massive trawl.

After that, I completely forgot all about web comics for a while.

Later, whisperings of a second Alien vs. Predator movie were circulating, and I was checking their veracity. In doing so, I followed a link to Alien Loves Predator, and joined their forums (originally under the name Cortle Steeze,* but this has now been changed to reflect our older and more widespread web presence), where I found the "what other webcomics do you read?" thread.

A link there took me to Misfile, and when one of Chris' rants implored "vote!" I did. In the Buzzcomix top ten, there was a rather shiny and well-drawn banner linking to Earthsong. It was clicked. You can guess the rest.

* Those who do either pay attention to, care about, or remember any of what we write, may recognise this as my name. This is no coincidence. When we joined the Wotch forums in December of '06, the discrepancy between the account name and the Freewebs account from which images were drawn was joke-explained away with "this is Cortle, my technical advisor," instead of just saying "no, I'm not stealing these images." It should have been left there, but the joke was extended to allow mock arguments to be staged within posts. What he/I/we didn't expect was that I would take on a reality of my own.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
odizzido

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in my apartment in fukuoka when I found this comic. It was like 3AM or so and I didn't have anything on for the next day so I was just checking out new comics and stumbled across this gem.

As to joining the forum....well that was a few days ago.
Lani

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my... junior? ... Senior? Year of high school, and I was reading a comic who's name I can't remember, which linked to MegaTokyo, which linked to Inverloch, which linked here. At that point, it was the original and the comic was when Willow was first starting to feel the stirrings of rebellion. Before her journal, I think. Maybe. Not sure. It's been so long.

Then, there's was this twitter-thingy on the home page, and I joined the chat room, and when the chatroom bit the dust I joined the forum and was briefly a mod. Briefly, 'cuz I went to a college with a proxy server and Earthsong was blocked.

Anyhoo, I finish college in December, and came back for the next month because... I am bored. Smile

I now posses a Bachelor of Science in secondary education. I am excited.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember my exact path to Earthsong, but I suspect it involved TWC. I lurked for a while until I could figure out how to say something like "I love the webcomic, the goddess Earthsong is beautiful" in Middle Egyptian just so I could make a splash when entering the forum the first time. Then I hung around making goofy comments until Lady anointed me as a moderator. The rest is history. Cool
ichigoli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found through inverloch which was introduced by a friend.
I came in round abouts the end of the redux of Genesis

i actually managed to stumble onto a secret cache of the old archives that has since been taken down and read all the way up to i believe it was the beginning of Lament before the Journal Chapter existed...
so i felt all happy to know what you 'long timers' are talking about ^_^

plus all the lady's links have lead me to some of my all time faves
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found ES by browsing Onlinecomics.net, but I didn't start reading it until a little later. I hung out on the chatterbox, which died while I was out of country. I joined the forum in my second month of high school.
Rechaana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time, I was bored with internet access...so I started looking at webcomics, and I found Earthsong through TWC. I was always struck by how pretty ES looked.

Dubbed Rachel by Asa
rechaana = Rech = Rach = Rachel
DarkwingPsycho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently started reading Earthsong. Probably a month or two ago, following a link from Catena (http://www.catenamanor.com). Fell in love with the art and thought the story was interesting. When I was (mostly) caught up I started thinking I'd like to chat with other fans. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: