FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Paradox edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a mailing list, you give them your email address and everybody on the list gets the messages.

Example: Job seekers sign up on a mailing list, and HR people post jobs to the list so everyone can see them.

With an RSS feed, you paste a specific RSS address into a feed reader. Then, whenever you log into your reader, it checks all your feeds to see if there's something new.

Example: checking 8 different web comics for new pages all at once, without having to visit each site individually.

So there you go. Do you feel more tech savvy now?
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I must be... T_T

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tyris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Today a guy flirted with me. I don't know how to react when guys talk to me, let alone flirt with me. *hides in a corner*

Make appropriate use of a ballpeen hammer?

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I apply for a second job.

Today I'm back home, where life is extremely dull and boring.
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Gives Tinu an exciting cookie*

Tinu wrote:
Today a guy flirted with me I don't know how to react when guys talk to me, let alone flirt with me.

Your still doing better then me, at lest you noticed. I usually don't know a girl is flirting with me until five or six days after the event, and that is if I am lucky. I kid you not. I receive some 'kind' words from friends over that particular trait. For me being completely and totally oblivious works wonders.

Tinalles wrote:
Do you feel more tech savvy now?

She might, I do not. All you did there was expand the horizons of my ignorance with out me gaining any understanding. Please do not see this as a challenge to further educate me in the mysterious tecno ways of the computer engineer. Your tecno wizardry powers scare me. BURN THE WITCH in really nice way though.

Today was Gooooood. I nearly missed my bus, but the driver saw me desperately fighting my inability to run and stopped, which was really nice. Alas I had once again forgotten my wallet. But I found a fiver in my pocket. It was that sort of day. Hear are the highlights.
I got thanks from parents for giving their kids some toys. (Little do they know that it is but the first step in my plan (master grade) to turn the children to the terrible ways of nerding, Muh ha ha ha ha ha). I went to work where I was paid to clamber all over some hardy stock in search of boxes of bags which I then got to throw at people. If that wasn't enough I was thanked. They paid me to play on what was essentially a giant climbing frame, who could ask for more?. When I came home I got to watch some west wing with my brother. Now I sleep for tomorrow is another day.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spellingmistax wrote:
*Gives Tinu an exciting cookie*

Tinu wrote:
Today a guy flirted with me I don't know how to react when guys talk to me, let alone flirt with me.

Your still doing better then me, at lest you noticed. I usually don't know a girl is flirting with me until five or six days after the event, and that is if I am lucky. I kid you not. I receive some 'kind' words from friends over that particular trait. For me being completely and totally oblivious works wonders.

I thought he was just being really nice/funny at first, then I noticed he wasn't doing it to anyone else. (He was a Cashier). Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have figured it out. I am famously unobservant.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club. It's probably worse, though, if you know something happening but can't quite tell what or what kind. I would know...

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tyris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, sometimes it's quite fun figuring out what happened days afterward. That little flash of insight is like being one step closer to understanding people outside your own head.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I watched a lot of sports with my father.

Today I had an interesting conversation about government health care in America. I appreciate people who have good points and interesting arguments, but unfortunately I haven't found that so far.

Today was otherwise uneventful. Meh.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSS: They give you and address that you check.

Email: You give them an address that they send it to.

Think of it as the difference between company mail and private mail.

Today, eight minutes late for first lecture. Not really sure why I'm on here, scalding hot coffee bye

Edit: Today:

First lecture was a bit of a waste of time. I read the paper we were meant to be discussing last night at around three in the morning and the lecturer just went through it again in the lecture.

;_; why do people do this?

If someone hasn't read the paper boo-hoo poor them. Let them fail or succeed depending on their ability to adapt but don't drag them along to weigh down everyone else.

I object to the trivial standard of memorisation so prevalent in exams but I've no objection to a realistic standard of abstract knowledge necessary to properly apply intelligence. If you were in a leadership position and turned up to a meeting at work not having read the briefing papers you'd just have to lump it, people aren't going to go around picking up after you all your life.

It's entirely this reason that qualification creep has come into being these days, undergraduate degrees are almost impossible to fail regardless of your intelligence as long as you've got a decent memory. I mean look at me: I got through two years of sociology without putting any work in and if my store of names I could remember from A Level had lasted I would have made it two more without any real effort. I've seen the stuff those folks trot out in fourth year and it's rubbish.

I guess I know why people do this. They’ve set up a system where money and people passing correlate.

But I’ve moaned about this before.

Today I digress. =P

Anyway, the question was whether binary gender identity is a useful concept to have, (they called it dichotomous for some reason, although they abused the term quite awfully, different lexical culture I suppose.) Kind of a weird lecture to sit through since Nem doesn't think of him/herself as male or female, or as male and female in some combination, (things he was careful not to point out,) – those are, if you will, terms of social convenience for people who don’t know you; handy lies for the simple minded, (which was roughly my answer though phrased in less offensive terms.) Nem has a body that’s male and he conforms to male stereotypes of dress and to a certain extent mannerism but the body is something that the consciousness moves around in; the distinction has always seemed to be one of what people find it best to think of you as more than what you identify as.

You are – and then you insert a proper description here – and anything on top of that is a label created for social convenience; which isn’t to say that it doesn’t have a reciprocal effect on how people treat you but that’s not the same as being an internalised value system. Nem, he, she, it; Nem’s really not bothered which one you use as long as you successfully make reference to Nem when you mean to. They were relevant terms when the power relationships within society were more focused around who the relevant referents bred with, when they secured against something; and I guess in a medical context they still retain a certain use. Largely however they’re just a tiresome social hangover that makes people behave in certain reciprocal patterns, hopefully in ten generations or so they’ll have died out completely and we’ll all have a bit more freedom.

I found it quite amusing that the lecturer asked for different male and female character traits and only two people provided any - enhanced emotional sensitivity on the part of females and dominance on the part of males; neither of which were backed up in debate.

Gender identity is dying, thank god. Let it die; let it go down into the dim west and dwell there amongst the unaging towers. Then we can get a bit closer to what actually matters about a person: The sort of character they have, the intelligence, knowledge and capabilities they carry around, without this obfuscating nonsense about what chromosomes they have as a measure of their identity. If we’re really lucky racial identity will follow suit, but that may be too much to hope for.
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I think Nem should start his own thread: What I Learned in Lecture Today.

^_^ It would probably be the most esoteric thread on the forum.

Yesterday I finished editing two chapter in one day, a new record for my author and me. This morning I edited an article written by an ESL speaker, who did very well. I like editing.

Miho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to be ok, be ok, be ok
I just want to be ok today
I just want to be ok, be ok, be ok
I just want to be ok today

I just want to feel today, feel today, feel today
I just want to feel something today
I just want to feel today, feel today, feel today
I just want to feel something today.

Ingrid was amazingly awesome and hilarious.. and I'm gonna say wisely cynical when it comes to the subject of love. I really like her. I think she and I should be friends. And you know, I don't know if I've ever said this, but I always thought her and the lady shared some similarities in looks and I stand by this, they could be sisters at the least.

Anywho, today I work 12 hours straight.... go me?
Bah.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got another interview, this one with Williams College, in Williamstown MA. Phone interview scheduled for next week. Yay!
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Tin! ^__^

Today I had one of the most boring mornings of my life. The kind where you want to scream in frustration. I HATE DNA replication and RNA and amino acids! ><

Today, the rest of the day feels like it will be a good day.
Tyris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, did you get a bad batch of helicase or something?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 70 of 100

Jump to: