FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Video Editing Software?

YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Video Editing Software? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you know of/use any good freeware for editing videos on your compy. My sister needs one that's relatively easy to use (since she's not so hot with her computer skills) and is cheap/free since she has little money.

I can and will just do a search for one, but neither my sister or I have time to try them ALL out and I'd much rather get a recommendation from a few of my sage forumites, y'know?

Also, being able to save the file as a .mov or some other common video file is a plus, since so many of these things seem to save as a file type that only IT can read.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably depends on what she wants to do with it Wink and what OS she's running.

I think windows movie maker is good enough for simple tasks. As is the default stuff on the Mac OS - iMovie, i think it's called.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For basic video editing, I've used VirtualDub, which is free and open source. Note, however, that it's not especially user-friendly and cannot do special effects, even basic ones like transitions between scenes. I've used it for capturing video from a TV card, slicing out the commercials, compressing the finished versions. I've also used it for the final steps of producing a screencast -- I had recorded the video and audio separately, and spliced them together using VirtualDub.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she is using an apple then I can help, (well I can ask my dad who uses his apple a lot for movie making), and if not then I have no idea.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I didn't even know there WAS a windows movie maker. That'll probably work fine for her but I'll definitely check out virtualdub too... though if it's not user friendly, *I* might be the one who ends up doing the editing Shocked
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Windows Movie Maker comes with Windows XP. If you haven't got it in your "Accessories" folder, you can start it by clicking "Start", selecting "Run" and typing in "moviemk.exe" then pressing OK.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet is to stick with windows movie maker, yes. If she doesn't have it on her Windows, you can get it through windows update's optional software. Apple's iMovie is way better from what I hear though.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMM will work fine for her, though I'm going to have to help her get oriented with it a little I think. She couldn't figure out how to clip parts off when there's a task bar drop down entitled exactly that.

My sister and grandparents everywhere... oy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: