FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Dream Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Nem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy from the new Sherlock was standing outside of an old fashioned police box shouting 'What did you do to my TARDIS?'

This guy

Don't know what produced that, haven't watched Dctr Who much since they introduced the new actor, he was rather annoying.

Come to think of it, that guy wouldn't make a bad Dctr Who. They need someone a bit calmer to do it again, someone a bit older perhaps.

:/

Not really a story dream. Just a snapshot/scene.
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that dream! Benedict Cumberbatch not only has the best name I've heard in a while he's also a fantastic Holmes. Plus he's pretty good looking too Wink

I had a similar dream but I was The Doctor (but a lady-type) I was fixing the TARDIS while playing chess. To prove it was fixed I took my companion to Elizabethan England and was welcomed by an imposing figure in a skull cap. He said "Welcome back, and surely Dr. ________ has been expecting you" (I can't remember the name he used). We turned to see a very creepy old woman with milky blind eyes and only one nostril. She was clad in rags and had long straggly white hair. She was very pale and knew me for the Doctor *Doooweeeoooooooooo!*

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dreamt I had gone back to WVU, and was helping one of the girls I met up there with pretty much all of her Biology classes (which I did do when we had class together).

Then, for a reason that utterly escapes me, my brother had realistic robotic dinosaurs. Everyone was terrified, but I realized they weren't responding to movement, only reacting to it. So I tugged at the flesh a bit and found both the infra-red sensors and the small pinhole cameras used to "see" nearby objects and react to them being there.

Once I got back upstairs, everyone was wearing just towels draped over their shoulders. Except now we were at the library I used to work at, and the library was closed for all of us. The girl's boyfriend was there, and tried to start a fight with me, but I just wandered off.

Then I realized I hadn't gone to class yet that semester, and it was halfway through. I realized I hadn't registered, and as soon as I signed on the computer to try and do so I woke up.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dream lat night was that Voldemort was attacking a day school, so we had to protect it. But we were being overwhelmed, so everyone was retreating. Hermione was in the office grabbing some keepsakes, like a couple of nutcracker dolls. The one of them was just an antique nutcracker, but the other one's mouth screwed shut. I kept urging her to leave, but she wanted to open it. She did, and inside was a coin, a faded tourist map of some foreign city, and a typewritten letter on paper that was growing delicate with age. It was a letter from Hermione's father to her, for when she should grow old enough to figure it out and know what it means. Basically, the doll was from the Middle East and housed an incantation that would act similar to a portkey to bring you there when you said it. The coin was there to throw off anyone unexpected who figured out how to open it, and to foil any search spells that touched the doll. So Hermione wanted to use it, but first she wanted to put it back together. Then she wanted to get a proper pair of shoes for the desert, and started looking in our hall closet. That took a while. Then her dad showed up and was very angry that we hadn't just gone, because now the enchantment had changed, and there was no telling what it would do. It might take us back to 1986, when the spell was cast - which made Hermione very excited for some reason. Then my dog started yelling, and I woke up.

Oh, and another detail from the beginning of the dream. It was night time, and Snape was stalking toward the school in black pants and a white shirt (which is bad to be wearing if you want to stay hidden in the night). He saw figures moving around the school so he stopped, then decided to move a little closer. But then he was shot in the side. Neville had recruited the Muggle military for defense, who were training Neville and some others in warfare. They were hiding in trenches that had been dug around the perimeter. Snape was the as-yet-unknowing beneficiary of that.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been reading Harry Potter, by any chance?
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanfiction. I've been reading Harry Potter fanfiction.

<.<

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my.

Last night I had a dream that my entire family (and a few people I didn't know) were on vacation in southern Italy. We were hanging out on this island with an old stucco house, and I decided that I was going to take picture of the place--for memories. No one else really seemed to approve though. I had the same sort of camera that Mona Khun* uses (I can't remember the name of it though, just that it's a pretty cheap-o camera--about . . . $25? I think), and I was frustrated, because I could NOT figure out how to get the thing to work. I was getting really upset, because it's a simple camera, and is supposed to be "idiot-proof," and really easy to use.

After that it devolved into something really weird involving bridges and different rooms and a marsh that was also a movie theater. I don't really remember much of that. Oo;

Point: I think I need to take a break before I get to work on my next photography project. I'd say take a break from the class, but it's far too much fun.

*I advise caution if anyone decides to google her. Some forum-appropriate examples of her work are: Father/Son Portrait
and
Hands
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic dream time?

Last night's dream started in the commons room of some university, though I'm not sure which one. I was sitting with some friends, talking about how I had left the university and really wasn't pleased with that decision. A few friends were there to console me, but amusingly it was all of the local people I used to hang out with. I'm not friends with any of them now, which made it amusing. Anyway.

So, an old boss of mine that was sort of halfway a friend at one point comes in and hands me a huge jug fill of unmarked pills of three different types. He tells me that it helped him through a rough patch, and that he thought it would help me, too. I thank him, and set it down. We all keep talking, and the same guy recommends that I go to WVU's in-state rival, Marshall. I even grimace in the dream. ^_^;

Anyway, he then goes on to explain that the pills are memory blockers. Take enough, and it should erase your memory entirely. When I looked into it again, it was halfway emptied (as opposed to 3/4 full when I first looked), and this time was full of small bite-size candy bars. I realized he had used this for nefarious purposes, but as I stood to accuse him the dream dissolved.

After a few moments of darkness, I was running through a field with two other people. We had some kind of mission, some save the world gig, and were carrying weapons with us. Some magical entity was chasing us, as well. So we make it through the field, and the ground drops off into a huge chasm. Crossing the chasm are three rope and bamboo bridges, leading to three gateways. Each gateway corresponds to an element, one for each of us. So, we figure we'll cross and open these gateways, then go through one together.

We get the first guy, Earth on the right side, up to his Gateway. Then another myself in the center up to that gateway. By this time the magical entity that was chasing us has caught up, and as the third member of our party (a woman) is crossing the final bridge the magical entity (a witch) attacks. The two women tussle a bit, and the bridges are destroyed so that no one can co back to help. In trying to use magical energy, both the other man and I accidentally opened our gateways. The Earth guy was drawn into his, and all I could do was watch.

The woman would have stayed to fight the witch, assuming she could give the rest of the group some time. The witch dives at her, and just before the woman can attack her with her staff the witch flips around, and the force of her spin knocks the woman into the portal.

The witch pauses for a few moments, and then looks calmly over at me. We share some kind of mutual understand, that progressing forward was always the goal. She just wanted to hurry us along. I nod at her, and then step through my own portal.

First my dream goes to the man. He's running down a slight hill on a prairie/grasslands. The gateway at the top is shut down, but there's another gateway at the bottom. He's fighting for his life, trying to fend off a dozen predators with just a staff. I watch as he spins and strikes, trying to fend off attacks from all sides. A creature lunges at him from behind, but he throws it over his shoulder. Then he runs, full speed, down the hill. As the predators lunge at him once more for the kill, he plants his staff in the ground and vaults himself over a small wall. He flies INTO the portal, and vanishes.

Next my dream goes to the woman. She's in a very Legend of Zelda-like series of chambers. Water is flowing everywhere, but none of it seems to be getting anything wet. She gathers some task from the surrounding rooms, and then sets together the pieces (I'm fuzzy on all of that now). Her own staff transforms into a bladed weapon of some sort, an oddly shaped sword perhaps. All of the water freezes, and a serpent is drawn out by the cold. It lunges at her, but she strikes it down and flays it open with the blade. It was pretty graphic, my dream mind filled in all the little organs. To end its suffering, she severed its spine. With blade in hand, she walked through her own now open portal.

The dream shifts to me. I'm in a university now, but I'm trying to uncover some crime. I search the rooms, and I talk to people. One of them, a young woman who works as a secretary to the Dean, quickly falls for me. And, admittedly, I for her. We kissed.

As the case comes to a close, and I'm chasing the villain through the university, I'm jumping over tables and kicking off of chairs. I catch him around turns, he outpaces me in the straight lines. Eventually he runs into a large gathering room, but now I can't find him. There are pizzas and cakes, cheeseburgers and fries covering all of the tables. He's somehow disappeared in the crowd, all of whom now try to convince me to sit down and eat.

I ran back into the hallways. The villain, who has revealed himself as the Dean, returns to his office, where he sets to the task of somehow banishing me from the university. I realized I had lost, and rushed to the secretary's room. She's furious with me now, believing that I used her to further my search. I admit that it had begun that way, but that everything she and I shared was real, all that. She doesn't believe me, and throws me out.

The Dean banishes me, but I hide. I try to get close to him, but it is absolutely not going to happen. I'm discovered as I try to capture him, and a chase begins with me at the front now. I hastily scrawl contact information on a notepad, and ditch the pursuers. Then I sneak into the secretary's office and place it some place she'll find it, but won't be obvious to anyone else. I rush to find her, and tell her the truth that I do care for her. This, of course, helps the Dean find me immediately.

Suddenly I'm looking at it from a computer screen, and I read the terminal (system information) below that says "A Stunned M-something has banished ..." M-something I won't name, and I have never, never been able to read, speak, or hear my own name in dreams.

A friend (one out west) smiles at me, and says it will be okay. We'll find other games. I find myself thinking about my two friends who went through their portals, and succeeded. Only, there's nothing I can do now. So I take a step back, and the dream fades again.

Now I'm sitting in a kitchen with the secretary, only she's not wearing her uniform or her hair up. She's talking to some man, who seems to be very possessive in a condescending way. Like he owns her, and everything else is trivial and stupid. Including her wants, her interests. I recall not really liking the fellow, but I realized something as I looked at the two. They wore matching rings on the left hand ring finger. >_>

I somehow seem to be invisible, and everyone loses focus on me. I sink into my chair, and try to look at it from a clinical, cold perspective. To detach, to observe. A woman I don't recognize (and no one else sees) walks by me. As she does, she places a hand on my shoulder. She says "Just wait," and then walks on. I turn my focus back to the married couple, who are now arguing. He throws something at her, but she nimbly avoids it. Crying, she retreats the same way the other woman went.

"And you," he begins as he turns to me. "You're worthless."

I stare at him blandly, like a cow chewing cud. Total disinterest, total apathy. Abusers aren't much better than scum to me, and that translates very openly in my body language.

A SWAT van rips through the yard, stopping in the driveway. Police cars pull into the street, which the house faces, and hit their lights. They flood the front yard with spot lights and flashing strobe lights. The man looks concerned, but I already know they're here for me.

"You, leave her alone. I'm going to go get arrested," I say calmly. He scurries to the corner of the kitchen as I stand and calmly walk toward the front door. "And if you hurt her, I'm coming back for you." I say over my shoulder.

With my hands raised to either side, above my head, I stand in the open doorway. The spotlights are on me, and in them I can see tiny distorted shadows of many, many guns. Without being prompted, I drop down to my knees, hands still raised.

"Step forward!" barks a man on a loud speaker. This seems to confuse me, but I stand slowly and comply. Once I'm about halfway through the police, so that they surround me by about 140 degrees (just enough to get me in a horrid crossfire while not striking themselves or the house), they demand I drop to my knees. I comply.

Then, nothing. They just stand there for several second, and I hear laughter from one of the cars. I stand again, and manage to see through the flood lights. Inside is my father and brother, and they're laughing at their good prank. The secretary is in the car too, looking a bit ashamed. I look at the other cars, totally empty with just the remote controls. The SWAT van is just a painted mock-up.

I turn bright red, and begin walking toward my car. They're trying to apologize to me as I go, but I'm too ashamed of being caught out THAT much. I get into my car, and pull away quickly, driving away. The dream ends as I turn left and onto the main street.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple nights ago I dreamed of a young woman; in the dream she did not have a name, but for convenience we will call her Sara. She was nobility but not royalty, and as the dream opened she was arriving in a foreign land to complete the marriage arranged for her.

In this world, a big part of the duties of the nobility was to tend to the needs of groups of humanly-intelligent animals. Noble houses were in many ways like zoos, with cunningly designed naturalistic environments within to accommodate the groups of animals the house tended. Each group of animals would get one keeper, one noble of the house, and competition was fierce to get the best animals.

Sara's new mother-in-law met her at the door in a sweeping red dress with matching scarf, looked her up and down coldly, and told her to come. Sara walked along behind her, gazing eagerly at the many different kinds of animals tended by her new house. Which kinds lacked a keeper? Which would be hers?

But though they passed many keeperless clans -- of monkeys, of hippos, of stranger creatures Sara did not know -- her new mother-in-law neither paused nor asked Sara's wishes, but led her further, deeper into the house, ever downwards until they came to the uttermost depths of the house's ancient foundations.

There the mother-in-law thrust into Sara's hand her staff of keepership, the badge of her new office, and pulled a lever. The floor collapsed beneath Sara's feet, dumping her down into the darkness of a stone chamber. As she landed, the mother-in-law called out, "Yours is the keepership of the eldest of all creatures cursed by God. You have no husband, for he died this month past, and now you must take his place." And the trap door slammed.

Sara began to pull herself up from the rough, cold floor; then froze as her gaze fell on the first of her new charges: an enormous snake, fully as thick as a grown man's thigh, covered all in milk white scales -- except for the belly, and the underside of its spread cobra-hood, both vivid red. It looked at her, venom dripping from enormous fangs. Its eyes, the pallid white of spider's eggs, held her gaze steadily; and it hissed. Intelligent it might be -- but feral, also.

Others of its kind coiled throughout the dim room. Watching her.

And that, more or less, is where I woke up. I remember that Sara had some previous experience with this type of snake, having secretly served as a keeper for just such a clan in her birth-house. But what she did or how she came to deal with this new clan, I don't know.

Oh, and her staff of keepership was rather short, and had a hook on it.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was a book I would read it.
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I'm gripped!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my last dream last night was strange.

I dreamed that I was re-assigned to attend a local public high school, and that I had been adopted - my birth family was black, and my real name was Lavinia. I didn't know where this high school was, so I was told to just follow my two younger sisters, since they knew the way. We walked along the highway and up this broad street, in a loose crowd of other students going to school, until we came to a huge gate. The younger kids split off to the left to attend elementary school, and I joined a group of high school kids where a teacher was taking attendance. Remember - I've graduated from university! So I felt very out of place. I had my cowboy hat and backpack, and rather stood out as being conservatively dressed. I could feel everyone staring at me with disdain, the way high schoolers are. The teacher waved off my explanation that I was a graduate student and that I was new here, and led us all inside.

There were metal detectors on the doors, and only the teachers had the passcode to open them. That's why they took attendance outside, because once you entered the doors locked. The layout was reminiscent of big-box stores, except in high-school linoleum, and instead of cash registers were ranks of lockers about five inches square. The building was HUGE, and when one teacher led us off to the side, I found out why. Half the building was given over to a warehouse-style storage room, with rows upon rows of supplies in huge quantities (like this). Apparently this was a boarding school, or at least one of those schools that provide everything to the students. Our first stop was a rack of different types of cell phones and electronics, still in their boxes. Everything from an old flip phone at eye level to an iPad on the bottom shelf was there, and I was supposed to pick one.

"But I already have a phone." (Confused.)

"The school provides you with a phone, so just pick one." (Bored.)

"But I already have one!"

"You're not allowed to use it, just pick one of these." (Starting to get annoyed.)

"Will I have to pay for it? What about my existing plan? How much does it cost?"

"Yes you have to pay for it, we're not made of money!" (Frustrated.)

I think she was mad at me for asking awkward questions in front of the high schoolers, and bringing up the fact that all their expensive "free" touchscreen phones really weren't. So I grabbed the old flip phone as the cheapest option, not really planning on using it or paying for it. We made several more stops, at other huge racks of stacked up supplies, before coming to an open area of the floor. huge picture windows and sliding glass doors poured light into the space, where tables and lower shelves were set up. Some kind of staging area? I didn't know. I also didn't get a chance to see what the view was, because I caught sight of the Jewish Agency representative beginning a ceremony about Gilad Shalit. I immediately choked up, because it was about Israel, and had to struggle to keep myself under control.

Then my alarm went off. I hit snooze and rolled over, went back to the high school, but it was different and I can't remember much.

So yes. That was my dream.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I had a dream that I was in the airport getting ready to catch a flight. Except things kept going wrong. First I was running late, and then I forgot my ticket, and then my layover was at a different airport than originally planned, and then I got lost. Finally someone showed me a shortcut through some back hallways, and I was running through them because my flight was leaving in less than five minutes and I still didn't know where I was--so I just kept following the directions and various signs for my gate. And then the floor started shaking and moving and I found out I was actually on a plane that was taking off--except it was the wrong plane, and I had no idea where it was going, and I'd missed my flight completely.

Hmmm, travel anxieties? I think yes. [
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I dreamed a lot, but it's mostly shards and fragments now.

I dreamed of two young people falling in love while working at an ice cream parlor, only then the young man got transported back to medieval Japan and had to learn to be a samurai.

I dreamed of a city, and being homeless in it.

I dreamed that I had taken my computer in for repairs (which NEVER happens, I do that myself!) to a very strange repair shop where they made you hand in your computer and then go through a long water ride, like at an amusement park, where you'd float in warm water through dimly lit tunnels with jets of water and steam, and banners showing the status of your computer's diagnosis along one wall.

And then I had to get out of the ride part way through to give them my user name, which they wanted me to write down on a piece of paper. They had tons of old partially used ledger books and such. I kept getting it wrong. Either the paper was the wrong size, or I'd make a mistake, or there wouldn't be enough room to write it legibly. Plus I kept getting interrupted by a lady who wanted to know if the Pirate King had any lairs "between here and Hawaii."

Round about the fifth attempt I fell into conversation with a monk who was standing next to me doing some wood carving. He was working on a fairly intricate view of the elaborate geometric patterns in the nave of his monastery, with singing nuns at the bottom. Talking to him slowed me down even more, but I finally finished writing it. The last stroke was an upright -- a letter L (lower case) that I had forgotten earlier in the name. I made it and pulled away the pencil, and then wondered why my L was striped blue and yellow, and also why it was moving. Then I realized that the pencil had actually torn through the paper, and there was a blue-and-yellow bookworm crawling along that exact path.

Then I woke up.
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://xkcd.com/557/

It's the xkcd strip about the recurring student dream. I remember having this during my last semester at uni, about a math class I'd signed up for, taught by my high school chem teacher, because I needed only one credit to graduate. I only attended a few lectures, then skipped the rest until the last few weeks of the semester when I realized that yes, I DID have to study for the final. I also found myself carrying my books in a canvas bag with a wet swimsuit, which was a harrowing experience as I kept panicking that my papers would get wet and disintegrate. Steep hills in bright sunlight and buses that pull away right as you walk up also played a role.

So yes.

Did I tell you all about the dream where we were in a tour bus, but the driver poisoned everyone with pink- and blue-frosted cupcakes, and when she tried to do it to me I shoved one in her mouth and pushed her out the door as we were going over a bridge? Then I had to drive the bus back to and through the desert city while being chased by radical Muslim men who were after me because I was female, driving, and not in a burkha. barreling through chain link fences was involved. The purple-clad mimes and a large, matronly cook helped me escape, and after a labyrinthine run through an Escher-esque set of hallways, we arrived at a door marked with green silk, where a Chinese man was supposed to help.

This dream transitioned into an attempt to get back to work, but my mother's office was in this desert city. We had to take the elevator up to the ninth floor, then get out and walk along the street to the other building a few blocks over and take the elevator up to the 26th floor to meet with the president and his brother for a top-secret mission. There was a bakery stall on the way, and cleaning staff who got in the way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: