FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Ramas sketchdump

Rama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Ramas sketchdump Reply with quote

Making a sketchdump for some quickies.

Uploading doesn't work like it should, so it's just one to start of with.

A rough sketch of Arvid for the Arceology rpg.

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo... Arvid is a hairless, eyeless cyborg head?

No, I'm kidding. That's pretty good for an hour's work. Will you be able to do Naomi as well, at some point?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Rama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image is more for facial features. I used to have a really hard time getting somewhere because I always dived for details the first chance I got, so I've started to make the big shapes somewhat noticeable before zooming lately.

It could also be influenced by me drawing another character for a while, where the whole point was that it looked spooky, so yeah, that could have rubbed of.

As for his hair, he buzzes it with a trimmer.

This is an example of a picture of similar style and technique that I've spent more time on.

This is of course a completely different character, and one that I've tried to draw for a longer time, so maybe that did influence the result, but it did look like the sketch before.

I'm thinking of sketching some tonight. Only problem is: the bios don't really take looks into account. If you could compile a short list of traits that you really want represented I can start to sketch it up, and we'll take it from there.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you work in grayscale?

I'll think about features today and get back to you tonight. Thank you!

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Rama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start of with greys, and then add colour on another layer. It's not perfect, but it works for skin tones, and it helps me to not get it to cluttered.
In the past I only worked with graphite, but now I'd like to make more colours, so I take every chance I get.

Sounds good. I'll check in later.
Rama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've procrastinated long enough with the character images, so here's a sketch I did of Naomi.

It's just a starting point for the whole thing, so it's not extremely detailed. Even so I've had a hard time, and I've started over with it twice because it didn't feel right.

Don't pay attention to the face. I'm practising faces whenever I have the opportunity, just to get a little more speed into the tooling.

So the questions I have for you Asa:
Is the body type right or should I change it, if so how?
Is the pose what you are looking for, or should that be altered, and if so, how? I'm thinking more of an "open" pose, with the hands on the hips instead of in the pockets, and the head tilted towards the camera more, but that's just me. Tell me what you think.

As I said, this is just a point to start from, to have something to reference.
Once the pose is finished, I'll draw it out on paper and scan it.

Second is the updated pic of Arvid. I've spent little time on him since I uploaded the last one, but most of last weekend went into this pic and the various Naomi startovers.

Most of the time I just tried to make his eyes light without making them stare you out of the chair. He's seen some really weird and wonderful stuff in his service, and I want it to show in his face. All in all, he should have the expression of someone you'd want at the wheel when things go snapple.

Asa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first thing I noticed about Arvid is that there are no shadows beneath his eyelids. I think those are what will give him the "I've seen things no one should, and that makes me qualified" look.

Naomi: Good start! I like the bones of the image. Comments:
~I imagine her thinner by about one size. Still healthy and strong, but thinner than your sketch.
~Even though I slump like that, I'd like Naomi to have a straighter posture - shoulders back, not down.
~I like the overall post - I modeled it in my mirror, actually, so that I could see what it looked like and make changes. What do you think about taking her hands out of her pockets: putting the front hand on her hip just above the pocket line, and the back one hanging loose and perhaps half-hidden? Message: "I'm relaxed and pretty much enjoying myself, but I'm used to having something in my hands, and so I'm propping my hand on my hip just to be using it." Does that make sense?
~I like your idea of turning her face more toward the camera. She's not shy, just quiet.

Comments on the face: I know you said ignore it, but I figured I'd say something about it before you got started so you'd have something to work with. I think Naomi has thinner features than that (thinner nose, smaller mouth). Not skinny, not waif-like, not delicate, but not wide. She's not a wide person. And thick hair. And freckles.

Thank you so much for spending time on this! I'm looking forward to watching it develop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Arts 'n Crafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: