FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Mass Effect 2 Council Meeting (spoilers)

Nem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Mass Effect 2 Council Meeting (spoilers) Reply with quote

This has always bothered me because it's something that I would have done.

Mass Effect 1&2 spoilers.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about watch this first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Oc-pstqpc

That clip's from the second game. The things you see floating in space are - obviously - Reapers. =p

Basically the Reapers are a race of sentient starships that return every few thousand years to harvest organic life.

One of them speaks to you in the first game here and explains it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnDp2mWU7ic

A V.I is a virtual intelligence - essentially a limited form of AI.

The first game was involved in defeating one before it could use the Citadel, (which is in actuality a giant propulsion device,) to summon the rest of its kind from the space outside the galaxy. The first game culminated in a massive fight around and inside the Citadel - it's also a space station which is the centre of galactic government - in front of the council. At every step they refuse to believe that Reapers exist. And then - in the second game - they still refused to believe it O_o

The Geth are another race of machines - rogue AIs - they're the main mooks you fight in the first game. Saren is a rogue secret agent who was supporting the reapers in an attempt to escape the harvest.

Anyway:

-----

Shepard was fighting a mounting headache. She pulled a chair across the room and sat down.

“Just to complete the interrogation setup,” She commented to the council. They were playing a trade off game with her. One would speak and then another would pick up the point before they could be challenged. She took a small notebook out of the left pocket of her coat and started to list their points.

“We’ve heard many rumours surrounding your unexpected return. Some of them are - unsettling.” Salarian.

“We called this meeting so you could explain your actions, Shepard. We owe you that much. After all you saved our lives in the battle against Saren and his Geth.” Asari.

Shepard used her finger as a bookmark and raised her eyebrows.

“Saren wasn’t the one commanding the Geth, it was the Reaper; Sovereign.”

“Ah yes, ‘Reapers’.” The Turian councillor provided air-quotes, “The immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in darkspace. We have dismissed that claim.”

Shepard produced a bottle of pills from another pocket and swallowed several of them. A small label proclaimed: PRESCRIPTION STRENGTH PAINKILLERS.

“What?”

“I said ....”

“Not that.” She cheeked the pills momentarily and sighed. “I don’t believe this.”

Captain Anderson did his best impression of sympathy, “Shepard, no-one else encountered the hologram on Ilos that told you the truth about the Reapers; only you and your crew ever spoke with Sovereign. I believe you, but without evidence from another source the others think Saren was behind the Geth attacks.”

“We believe that you believe it, but that does not make it true.”

Shepard crunched her pills, cutting the Asari off. There was a nasty pause; shadowy creatures with teeth and claws lurked in its depths. She flicked back through her notebook.

“... Did you not get my email?”

“... What email is this, Commander?” Salarian

“The one I attached the files from my helmet camera to? The videos of the conversation with Sovereign - the V.I. on Ilos - the recording where I convinced Saren to shoot himself in the head because he was being controlled by a Reaper. The images of the dead Reaper we boarded when found floating in space?
“You accepted an audio recording as evidence of Saren’s original betrayal, so after you disbelieved me the first time I took to recording all my missions and uploading them to an encrypted store on the extranet.”

Fingers carved out patterns of light above her omnitool. “There I’ve sent it again.”

The Salarian shrugged. “I see no files, commander.”

“This reaper theory proves just how fragile your mental state is.” The Turian snapped.

Shepard gave him her most authoritative finger, “Have you checked your spam folder, councillor?”

“Ah, yes. Hmm.” The Salarian’s omnitool displayed the legend ‘one hundred and sixteen thousand unread messages.’ He had the grace to look mildly embarrassed.

“Apologies, Shepard. You have no idea how many messages we get telling us how to run the galaxy. Automated systems are a necessity.... It would appear, before he left, Saren set the Citadel’s spam filters to delete anything with the words ‘Reaper’ or ‘Sovereign’ and ‘proof’ in the same message.”

Shepard thumbed forwards through her notebook, “Okay, the first thing you need to do is watch the videos - that should take a couple of hours - I’ll be going to a coffee shop while I wait. After that I want to talk to you about the Collectors....”

Shepard got up, “Anderson, you coming for a drink?”

^^;

Edit: VI on Ilos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvdDc0moKsA
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: