FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

I made a shiny
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: I made a shiny Reply with quote

Well, I haven't made it entirely yet, but here are some shots of the project in progress.

I've been wanting an octopus ring for some time. They're strangely graceful creatures and absolutely perfect for jewellery. My Dad has access to the equipment and materials necessary to create jewellery through contacts in his job, so I asked if it would be possible to design a ring. We sat down and discussed it, then made the basic ring shape in soft wax. We took an impression of this in a moldable rubber then removed the wax and piped a material called Duralay into the mold. This is a substance which smells like epoxy resin. It comes in two parts which, when mixed, sets quickly into a plastic-like material in the shape of the mold.

Once this was done I sketched out what I'd like the ring to look like:

(Points if you can spot what's missing!) and drew the basic shape onto the Duralay ring, which Dad then shaped for me. Once that was done I could begin to build the octopus up and give it some texture.

Here's where we are at the moment:

(The red is the Duralay and the green is molding wax)

It's just got to be sent off and cast now. More photos to follow!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those inner feely-things?

This is so cool, it's awesome to see a project from the ground up like that. Thanks for sharing!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really awesome! I can't wait to see what it will look like when it's done!

Also: Well, you only have seven legs drawn and labeled, but that might just be the "angle." Hmm . . . no mantle? I suppose that would look a little odd on a ring. I had to check wiki to make sure that octopi even had a mantle. It was what I thought of first, but I've only ever dissected squid, and have only ever seen an octopus once. My younger self would be appalled. >>;
Allicat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points for Nu! I drew it all out and then realised that there was only seven legs and I can't fit another one in without ruining the design. I figure he was in a fight at some point Wink

Nu, about mantles: octopodae have a mantle, but it's quite a detailed thing to draw and add in to the ring. As you probably noticed, the ring itself didn't have nearly so much detail as the drawing, but it wasn't practical to put it in the wax. The same goes for the suckers on the tentacles. I quite like the minimal detail. It's more stylised.

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe it's behind the body? You could probably carve out a couple lines in the wax on the inside to suggest a leg...

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Rama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one awesome ring design.
Do post pictures of the finished thing, because what I can see looks really cool.

Isn't one of the octopod arms actually genitalia? If someone asked about the missing one you can tell them that you don't wear smut jewellery. Very Happy
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahahaha! Excellent, Rama. I don't know if it's true, but I like your thinking!

Asa, we did think of doing that, but a) I ran out of time and b) the red substance is very tough once it's set. Unless I added some wax on the inside and compromised on the size of the ring it would be difficult to do. I might just keep it as a test for anyone looking at it. With the career I've chosen, I'd hope people notice!

Asa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, but how many people stare at your hand a finger long enough to notice? Especially when the ring will be circular and part of it will be hidden anyway. I like Rama's answer ^_^

Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with pedantic marine scientists. There is a chance they'll notice! Maybe I'm the only one who'd count though...

Asa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's true. There's no accounting for that pedanticness of some folks for their chosen field... Myself included.

Either way, it'll be an awesome ring and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Rama's right (according to wiki). In certain species one of the male's tentacles serves as genitalia. So just make sure your ring is a boy octopus, and the joke should go over pretty well.
Allicat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahahahahahahahaha! So I unintentionally made a child friendly octopus? Awesome!

Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unintentionally, I think. I believe that your inner child is alive and well and has strong opinions on smut jewelry. Wink
Rama

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, there is more! When I looked into it, some octopod males actually loses their hectocotylus (that's the wang-arm folks) during mating. That's okay though, since it grows back in time for the next mating season.
In some others the hectocotylus is hidden, so it seems that it only has seven arms.

So either you've got the child friendly variant, the sneaky one, or the one that's just got laid. Very Happy

It's possible that you already mentioned it, but I can't find it, so I'll just ask; what material are you planning on casting it in?
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^_^ You can be very amusing, Rama. Your post just made my day.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a bit, then we can go back to our regularly scheduled programming. Rama, what's happening with Naomi's character sketch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Arts 'n Crafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: