FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

A Long Sentence

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: A Long Sentence Reply with quote

I was thinking about calling it The Long Sentence, but I just knew someone would pipe up and quote a longer one. So I decided not to bother. However, if you would like to try and best me - or emulate me - do it here! Let's see if we can't start a new writing game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome, students, to the first class of the first day of the first full year since the founding of the University of Familienwald, in which class we will be covering the vast and tumultuous history of religious arguments, alternately known as theological discourse (or at least the extant fragments thereof), in such a way as to finalize and clarify its exact nature and its applicability in today's world of war, or ugliness incarnate; peace, the elusive goal of millions; and other kinds of struggle, which fall into neither category easily but nevertheless define a person's existence in relation to himself and other groups, as well as to his Creator, of such a thing truly exists - for therein lies the crux of our intended argument: indeed, the existence of one who may or may not exist outside the realm of religious discourse has lasting repercussions for the place of man in the universe, his responsibilities therein, and his conscious effect thereon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In case you couldn't tell, I was channeling Luther Levy or one of his older colleagues to write this. I don't generally write 160-word sentences, so I borrowed a character to do so.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.

Last edited by Asa on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which calss, Asa? Wink
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, dear. All right, thank you. Want to participate now?

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know enough about grammar to write a proper sentence I fear. Neh. ^^;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The problem with truly horrifying children, the arch wizard Elowazima thought in the dark moments of the night when he cackled to himself in a windswept tower and tried not to think of the cliche his life had become, was in finding the sweet spot: that difficult age where they would be old enough to understand the concepts of suffering for their full measure of pain and yet young enough, which he took to mean naive enough, to still feel badly about things like kittens and rabbits, (and those little squirrels he sometimes electrocuted for kicks) ; kittens were good, at least if you were going to be bad, because you could give a child a kitten to identify with, let it play with the thing for years, take care of it, feed it, name it, grow up with the thing and then take it apart in front of them as if to kill a bit of the child’s innocence, to crush the physical manifestation of a part of their soul.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

^_^

170wrds
- Issa
Wren

Location: In my head, wondering how so many manage to step outside theirs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm better at dialogue, so this will be in-character and in-quotations.
~~~~~
"Okay, okay, I can do this, you know, if I want to; I just haven't wanted to but I could and the only reason I haven't is because the rumor that keeps going around is that you were going to, but if you aren't going to I can, and I want to do it so they can see that I can and that I can sing when there's an audience around because I can sing when I'm alone, but I can only sing when there's a crowd around, or when I'm alone in the shower, but that doesn't really matter, because when I'm alone in the shower then no one's around, so there's no one to show, so they don't hear me, so they can't tell, and I either need to be sure that a lot of people are paying attention to me or know that no one is, and when I'm not sure I don't know who to sing to so I get all flustered and my voice cracks and someone looks straight at me right then, so then I know I'm horrible, and that messes me up more and that just gets worse and worse until I have to run off crying, which you saw at the party, I guess, and I just want to show you all that I can do this, because this is what I can do, so would you just let me do it?"
~~~~~
241 words. Is the repetition ok?

GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good try! It's quite a ramble, isn't it? I know what you mean about dialogue - mine is also in character.

Talps

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dropped in to see what was occurin', and saw this; it looks like a fun idea.

Also, hello everyone!

There's the joke that the longest sentence in the world is,
"I do."

But on a more serious (?) note:

The thing about Bill was that he liked to look on the bright side, and so as he lay in his hospital bed he comforted himself by thinking that everything could have been so much worse if, for example, the cannon ball which slipped from the sweaty hands of the tour guide and rolled off of the ship had landed on his head rather than, as it actually did, his foot, and while he stumbled back into the road, shouting and swearing in pain, he was lucky in that the driver of the lorry was paying enough attention to break, and so instead of being smashed to pieces he was merely thrown forwards through the barrier of the road workers - and how much worse things might have been if he hadn't sailed cleanly past that drill - and down the open manhole where, thanks to all of the recent rain and the annual curry festival last week, he landed not on solid concrete but in a reasonably deep river of, well, stuff, and he only fell down three waterfalls before washing ashore, and if it hadn't been for the rats (an all-time number-one fear of his) that took such an interest in him (or at least what remained of him) his screams wouldn't have attracted the rescue workers and it might have taken them another two days to find him; yes, thought Bill, it paid to look on the bright side.

242 (by coincidence).

Dubbed reversquee.
Talps = Splat reversed. Splat = Squee
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! That's funny. Thanks for sharing!

And I think it's sobering that the most active thread in this forum is averaging one post per month or so...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: