FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Video software

Allicat

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Video software Reply with quote

Help! I have many video files for my dissertation but I can't play them on any of the software I have. The files are saved as .avi but either refuse to open (Windows Media Player and VLC) or will open and play, but no image comes up (DivX and Quicktime).

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How were these AVI files recorded? Specifically, what device and/or what program was used to create them, if you know?

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
devilman2045

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue, with footage recorded off of a camera at a local business. The owner couldn't get it to open on his laptop, once downloaded from the security cameras. I had suggested a file converter,... I can't think of the technical name for the program,.. but anyway, long story shot: Not all avi files are playable. You need the right codecs on your machine to do it. These programs will install the appropriate codecs, or help you find the correct on via your OS's site to get the files to play. If what Tenshi has doesn't help, try that.
Allicat

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files are from a seriously dodgy piece of software designed by one of my lecturers (I won't go into just how bad it is here) I have access to the original files, so would it be worth trying to convert them into a different format?

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
devilman2045

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allicat wrote:
The files are from a seriously dodgy piece of software designed by one of my lecturers (I won't go into just how bad it is here) I have access to the original files, so would it be worth trying to convert them into a different format?

I wouldn't necessarily do that right away. You risk corrupting the files converting them, or a loss of data. I'd make that the third thing I do. The second should be the codecs, and the prorams as suggested. The first, and this depends on your access to the information, would be to go back to the original hardware, and machines, and see if they're playing on that machine. If they do, just go with what you have there. If not, try the codecs. I'm doing a little more research to help show you what I'm talking about....

Edit by Tinalles: combined double-post into a single post.

Start here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-media-player

Select your OS... this is for windows....

This will help if you have windows. I've found the specific program I used on my computer... if you need it, and want to try it, let me know. I can give you the name of it.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-repair-broken-avi-files-that-wont-play-windows-only/

The above link actually gives you access to one of the better known software applications. Try that if you want to go with something in lue of mine. The one I used was the number two ranks application.

A few of the sites I've been reading up to had a lot of tech jarbal in them. I don't know how tech savy you are... I figured I'd paraphrase. Basically, update direct x, your video card, and whatever media player your using. These are simple tricks that might help. If you want more specifics, let me know.... Laughing
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alli -- There's no risk to trying to convert from the original files if you make a copy first and convert the copy. Anyway, most video editing software makes you specify a different file name when converting something rather than overwriting the original file.

Beyond that, it sounds like a codec issue. Ask the lecturer who wrote the dodgy software what video codec the software uses when it outputs video. If you can identify that codec, get a copy, and install it on your computer, you should be able to play the videos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: