FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Windows 8

Nem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 Reply with quote

So, partner demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MnEndww2YQ

Hmm. Looks like Microsoft has gone for a miss again. When they fired up the tablet I knew it was going to be bad.

Is it so hard to understand that people use different methods of working for different interfaces - that they have those different interfaces to support those different methods of working?

Huge ugly blocks that take up a huge portion of the screen? Why? I have two rather large wide-screen monitors. Make the blocks smaller please - what's that you say? Making the blocks smaller would make them shortcut icons? Wow. Who'da thunk it?

Oh look, we've hidden the taskbar. Gee - thanks, now you either have to scroll through using that pathetic side swiping thingy or go to the trouble of bringing it back when you want to change to another program. Also I use the clock on the taskbar a lot and my programs signal me when something happens by --- guess what? Flashing their entry on the taskbar.

I do most of my work within a browser it already integrates my updates for facebook, twitter, email and the like and it doesn't require I not be running another program to see them either. If they think having updates go on in the background is novel they're sadly mistaken.

It's almost as if they've adapted the operating system for use on a touch screen device and now are trying to work it backwards to a desktop interface. Without actually paying any attention to how people use desktop computers.

Reminds me of the old saying: Jack of all trades, master of none.

Shall see how it goes over the next few months but definitely looking like a release to skip so far. =p
- Issa
Grimwatch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from a gaming perspective, there are a ton of rumours floating about that Windows Live will be built in. This does not fill me with enthusiasm. Pretty much the opposite in fact, given the sheer amount of conflicts that software has produced for me in the past.

There are good ideas here, but MS seems to have run off in the wrong direction with most of them. Still, early days yet.

Coach of the Maulers 'n' Brawlers Blood Bowl team - winner of the "Most casualties inflicted on opponents" award for T.A.G 2008, mwahaha...
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it too much; it's the off-release.

Windows 3.0 -- stunk
Windows 3.1 -- much better
Windows 95 -- stunk
Windows 98 -- much better
Windows ME -- the horror, the horror ...
Windows XP -- actually still running a ton of stuff
Windows Vista -- "I see security alerts. They don't even KNOW they're security alerts!"
Windows 7 -- pretty nice

Sensing a pattern here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: