FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Finding the balance between firepower and portability

Tyris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Finding the balance between firepower and portability Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
OH! There's a Zombie Games thing next week on campus, and I am very tempted to participate. Problem is that with my cane, I'm truly not sure I could do much good for the humies. On the other hand, I'm a pretty good shot. If I could just find a nerf gun with near unlimited ammunition and an automatic trigger, I think I could do all right.

If I had time to craft my own, I would create a battery operated rotating drum magazine nerf gun, with compression fed firing down a fitted tube for accuracy. I would mount this on my right arm, so that I could continue walking with the cane in my left hand. Ideally it would have a clasp around the right forearm, and then a pistol grip with trigger button for accuracy and firing.

I feel I'd use (lose) a LOT of ammunition doing this. But it would be so awesome to do!

So the Zombie Game will have been and gone by now, but we've been thinking this over between then and now, because it's still a fun concept. We've come up with a few ideas for modification of existing blasters (don't think we could bash together one that'd be sturdy enough for repeated firings, not from scratch and without the use of injection moulding).

--------------------

#1: Speedloaders

A speedloader is a ring-shaped device that lets you load a revolver six bullets at a time. The same concept can be applied to the Nerf SwarmFire, as the darts are loaded by slotting them into the front. All you need is a ring of Velcro with twenty spots for the darts, and if you attach the flip side to your body then you can slide the blaster onto the darts, one-handed.

Apparently there's even a "SpeedSwarm" in the works, which is a much smaller, lighter, ten-dart version that takes AA batteries instead of Cs, which would be much more easily wielded one-handed. You'd just need double the number of speedloaders.

Problem: making the darts stick out perpendicularly, without sagging (else you won't be able to stick the blaster over it) yet still allowing them to be withdrawn, is something we have yet to solve.

--------------------

#2: Chop Job

The Barricade is also a revolver, this one semi-automatic rather than fully automatic, but you couldn't speedload it if you wanted to, because the drum is internal. Instead, it's loaded at the bottom and manually turned. So let's keep the handy pistol design and the semi-auto flywheel firing mechanism, and get rid of that drum. Pull it out, take a clip system blaster (for preference, the one with the biggest ammo capacity to date, the Raider) and chop out the magazine well, welding (not literally) it into the Barricade. You now have a semi-automatic pistol with a 35-dart capacity.

Problem: You've destroyed the Raider forever. Also, those flywheels are noisy, so you have to choose between "the zombies can hear me coming" and "I can't snap off a shot when ambushed."

--------------------

#3: More Dakka

So far we've dealt with making one-handed blasters nastier. Why not make a nastier blaster one-handed? The Vulcan (or Havok, depending on where you bought it from) starts life as a tripod-mounted emplacement weapon, but the good thing is, it's electric. That trigger doesn't need to be where it is, so you can stick a handle on top, wielding it under your arm Tactical Dreadnought-style. You can also take off the barrel to reduce weight, because it doesn't do anything except look cool. And then, to really up the ante, you can take a refill pack and join your two belts together in a loop for 50 darts of death that only dangle down as far as the normal 25 would.

Problem: The Vulcan does loooooooove to jam.

--------------------

#4: There Is No Spoon

If you thought talking about speedloaders in a post about modifying blasters was cheating, look away now.

Why bother reloading your blaster when you can just throw it away and reach for a fresh one? With a long coat with many large pockets full of Barricades and / or SpeedSwarms, you can clear out the whole lobby.

Problem: This is definitely the "throw money at it" solution, especially if it's a nice coat. Not that it'll look nice when you've stuffed it full of bulky blasters.

--------------------

Well, that's our mental resources exhausted, for now. Comments? Disparaging remarks? New ideas?

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVED the zombie game when it was on my campus! My uni shut it down, though - they said that it mimicked and encouraged actual campus shootings, and that anybody seen playing this game would be charged with raising a false alarm. Good luck to everybody playing!
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh, that's so frustrating. The zombie game was really popular on my campus, though they sometimes chose to have shootouts right in front of the building as class was letting out, and as an innocent bystander you had to be wary of the crossfire.

Tetris, are these real guns or nerf weapons? Oh gosh, and the iPhone autocorrector changed nerf to nerd. How appropriate.

I still think you can't beat range time for improving battlefield capability. Why try and get fancy if you know you can get your shot with a semi-auto and a pocketful of spare clips? Also, the fancier it is the more likely it is to break. Especially if it's cobbled together. I'd stick with something tried and true, myself.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop feed magazine, hand crank, some suitably bendy bit of metal or the like held under tension by a peg in a slot. That's the first thing that springs to mind when I think of how I'd make a nerf gun if I were starting from scratch.

The obvious improvement from there is to use some sort of linear spring so that you don't need a huge box down one end to store your power, replace the hand crank with a motor and stick the magazine under the thing rather than on top - use a spring instead. Though I guess you might risk crushing the neft thingies if they're soft. Might be better off just going with a hopper on top of the thing.

I don't know if that's how they've done it but people with similar questions and similar information are very likely to come up with the same sort of answers.

Heh, if you turned the crank backwards you could use some simple pulleys and catches to make yourself an automatic nerf crossbow and have the springs go out to either side of the gun rather than in line with it =p'

Main limitations in that setup would be if you used plastic gears, they have a tendency to slip so I could see the thing jamming really easily, weak springs, weak motors, low voltage batteries... I suppose weak springs in your magazine if you had the thing the other way up.

Yeah, I think if I were interested in this sort of thing that'd be my solution. Go and swap out the internals for something not made of plastic and wire a better motor up to some slightly higher voltage batteries. Wink
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gajitz.com/grandaddy-of-all-nerf-guns-cool-diy-steampunk-weapon/

Wouldn't this be neat to carry around on campus?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: