FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Purses!

Merlenyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Purses! Reply with quote

Sure, they're just square lookin bags, but they're still awesome and I use the one I made myself a year ago as a purse! I'm making little mini wallets/coin purse things to go with them... I haven't gotten any pics of them yet. Well, for the three that I haven't sold anyway. lol

I also made a totebag for my dad's girlfriend - who bought the yellow hearts purse - but I haven't gotten a picture of that one yet... I need to find the cord to my camera so I can charge the darned thing!

SOLD!

SOLD!

jookadook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look pretty cool- would you be selling them on Etsy or somewhere similiar?
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to, I just need to take BETTER pictures of what I actually have, as well as figure out prices more and all that fun stuff... I've sold a few things to friends and family though. Smile Would you be interested?
jookadook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if getting one would be in my budget, but I'll spread the word as much as I can. For pictures, what I did when I was selling scarves and whatnot was bribe (everyone loves cookies) a friend with an SLR camera to take pictures of me or another friend modeling the stuff. If you add a human figure, even if you're just standing smiling at the camera, it adds visual interest to the shot and also helps people see how big the item actually is. I recommend using an SLR camera because they generally give you better quality images than a point-and-shoot handheld camera.
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind. I have a few friends who do photography... (one pair who does it semi-professionally - they did my sister's wedding), and another who does it mostly for fun but knows ALOT about cameras... granted I don't see any of them that often, but it doesn't hurt to ask questions!
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point and shoot is FINE. It's more about having steady hands, especially for product images like this. I'd suggest not cropping so close to the item, so that it has some perspective. For purses, the idea of having someone hold it is good - that one picture where you have your hand visible shows me that it's actually a useful size. So having a hand or other body part in the picture is a good idea as well.

As for stability, if you don't have steady hands you can put the camera on a table or tripod. You don't NEED to hire or bribe anyone (unless you're making cookies anyway...).

^_^

And I think I might have gone for a bag like that. I've already bought what I need, but here's what I find lacking in messenger bags/totes like that: there's no interior organization. It's just one big pocket, with no secure closure up top. Would you be able to add that to your bags? An interior division (so that it has two pockets, say), and a secure closure? If you can do that, and advertise those attributes, I know I would be much more interested.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
jookadook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And little pencil pockets. You know, the sort that run vertically. I had them in one bag back in primary school and I've been missing them since.

A few of my friends swear by their point-and-shoot cameras, but they usually spend between ten minutes to an hour setting up the tripod, tweaking settings, getting the angle just right, etc. while I've been able to get as good or better quality photos with a handheld DSLR. I guess it's just a matter of what works best for you more than anything else.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An hour? Really? Then again, I've never used a tripod, so... Yeah. Flat surfaces and auto focus are your friends. ^_^ Yes, pencil pockets too, definitely. I wishfully think of a fan pocket, to fit a fan like this, but... that's a rather specialized requirement, isn't it? I'm thinking of adding it to my current purse, actually.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of cameras, it's not so much that the camera is an SLR. What you're utilizing for such steady, clear images is often noted as an "IS" on the lens labeling. "IS" stands for "Image Stabilizer", as I recall. ^_^ My $300 Kodak camera from four years ago has an image stabilizer in the lens, and so turns out pretty decent pictures despite that my hands are far from stable. Though, if I go on a photography trip (as I've done a few times in the past), the exhaustion by the end of the day can cause themors that overwhelm the image stabilizer, so don't rely on it wholly.

Another trick, if your camera has a neck strap, is to stretch the neck strap fully forward, tuck your elbows to your sides, and steady your breathing. If you can shoot through an LCD screen in this manner, it's almost as good as a tripod (And with an IS lens, you won't notice much difference).

I also agree that an hour to set up a tripod is a bit extreme. o_o Then again, my brother is always fussing at me for not setting up the tripod properly. My only criteria is "shoots the picture I want", and I don't really care about "proper use" beyond that. ^^;

Er, neat purses, too. I'm... not really so knowledgeable there (or at least I don't want to admit that I am!). Internal pockets would be massively handy, but you only tend to find them on larger purses, unfortunately. And really, if you wanted to carry around a duffle bag, just carry the duffle bag... For small purses, it's pretty difficult to find anything other than "traveling pouch" style.

I digress. Away!

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the purses pictured here were all part of one large shot taken by my aunt when she wanted to take the picture to her mother to see which one she liked best. The reason I cropped them (bad idea obviously) is because as a staging area, she was using her daughter, my cousin. She'd been laying on the couch, so my aunt just propped all the purses up in front of her AND on her side, and she had this really silly smile on her face like she was trying not to laugh at being a stage. So... I figured she'd be too distracting, and I didn't think chopping off her head would make for a good picture... hence the cropping.

As for pockets.. when I started making these for myself, I added a small pocket that was big enough for my cell phone, keys, or other small things... usually only one at a time though. The current ones lack pockets atm, I can sew some in later though as I still haven't actually lined them... the linings are separate atm. But, yea, pockets are handy, I love my pocket - my grandma uses her pocket for her car keys a lot of the time, sometimes if I want my phone in my pants pocket, I'll put my mint tin or something in the purse pocket instead. I never thought of pencil pockets though... that would be a good idea... and I am learning more techniques to make better pockets (like inside zipper pockets and such). Also, the purses themselves have a zipper across the top so they definitely stay closed if you want them to.
jookadook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! Keep us updated on any design changes you make. I might just ask you for one if my budget opens up.
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do! My brain's been bubbling all day. lol We'll see when I have time to work!
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'd be interested in seeing the whole picture, if you're willing. As a relative comparison.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Arts 'n Crafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: