FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Browser Question

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Browser Question Reply with quote

Hi peeps. I know a lot of you like and use Chrome, and I'm betting a lot of you are like, "Oh, you have to use Chrome!"

I'm having some problems with Firefox, ever since the new version came out. A slow script on Gmail which constantly freezes my computer until I stop it, that kind of thing.

I'm not actually asking which is better. My question is, how slow will my computer be if I have both Chrome and Firefox loaded on my computer? One is a Dell Vostro1510, bought nigh on four years ago, the other is a Gateway netbook. The reason I'm not just switching to Chrome is that Firefox has the Zotero app, which Chrome doesn't support. (And I'm not asking about the pros and cons of Zotero either, it just has all my references so I need it)

So, to review:
1. How slow will my computer be if I have both browers loaded on my computer, even if I'm only running one?
2. How slow will it be if both browsers are up and running at the same time?

Does anyone have an answer/advice? Thanks for your time!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. It shouldn't make any appreciable difference.

2. It depends on how many tabs and what sort of webpages your viewing on each. But the difference shouldn't be much, at least under reasonable browsing conditions.
- Issa
Tamir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The speed of your computer is dependent largely to its processing power (i.e. what programs it's running right now) and its RAM (i.e. what stuff it's remembering right now. think of it as short term memory). If you installed chrome but aren't using it, it's sitting somewhere on the long term memory (hard disk), not affecting either the processing or the RAM. Therefore it's highly unlikely you'll feel any difference.

2. If both browsers are running, they're both taking up some amount of processing power and some amount of RAM. That said, browsers are relatively lightweight programs (especially chrome) and unless you have many tabs open (which is heavy on RAM) or you're running heavy things within the browsers like games (which can be hard on the processor) you should be fine.

Also you may want to try the approach of fixing whatever the problem with the computer/firefox is. just saying.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to clear Firefox' browser cache. A lot of times, the files that the browser stores to help load pages more quickly can accumulate and begin to slow down the browser (IE was particularly bad about this, in older models).

For Firefox: http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache (Copy and paste the full link, since the PHPBB code doesn't like the apostrophe)
and
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/How%20to%20clear%20the%20cache

Another thing you might try is updating your Java and Flash.
For Java: http://java.com/en/download/help/java_update.xml
And for Flash: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

One of the reasons that I ended up leaving Firefox behind, even though I preferred the plug-ins it had, was that it kept freezing up on me (particularly with Gmail, as you mention). Hm.. After doing a bit of Googling (heh), it seems the problem is also not uncommon. One option might be to just use Chrome for your Gmail, and use Firefox as your default browser otherwise. Anyhow, hope all this helped! (And both Nem and Tamir are correct, having two browsers installed won't adversely affect system resources, unless both are running.)

Good luck!

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kay, 'nother question.

I've been trying to install Chrome on my netbook (Gateway) for several days now. The installation is stubbornly stuck on "Waiting to download Google Chrome..."

Any ideas?

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a firewall or virus scanner on?
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It didn't stop the installation on my laptop, though. I suppose I should disable it?

Nem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May as well try it.

Alternately, you might try downloading an offline installer.
http://support.google.com/installer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=126299

(Thought didn't occur to me earlier.)
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: