FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Homework help....2.0
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Miho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Homework help....2.0 Reply with quote

So miho has been completely lost without you people to help her with her homework cause you’re all amazing and the time has come for her to another big project… So for English we are to do a 7-8 minute presentation about an abstract quality…kinda like an emotion…but not really… Anywho I chose Revenge, Vindication, Retribution, etc…. It’s pretty amazing but I need some help because we need to present this abstract quality in five different areas and they are: Music, Movie/Media, Poem, Literature, and Art.

So I have an idea what I’m using for Media…. Kill bill with a dash of V for vendetta and a hint of Sweeney.

For the Poem…I found one… but if anyone know anything better than this it would be great…. Revenge Poem

poem wrote:
Whip me to a lather
with your sour sarcastic tone,
slice and dice me with your words
that crush me like a stone.

Spread acidic slander
as you cut me down to size,
sprinkle bitter rumors
and then garnish that with lies.

Mix in cups of salty tears
of things better unsaid,
pour in rancid memories
from things long buried, dead.

Dish it out while it is hot
as hot as you can make it,
now I know the recipe
let's see if you can take it.

For music… I’m not exactly sure… So feel free to spitball here, same goes for the art and literature… If you guys could just give some ideas… get me going…that would be awesome…PLEASE???
Maeniel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the art necessarily need to be famous and well-known? Because if not, then devArt and ph.otogra.ph are your best friends. If it needs to be famous, I'd choose something from the French Revolution, probably something about Jean-Paul Marat or Maxemilien Robespierre.

Literature, I'd probably take something like Hamlet. Good Shakespeare. :3

Music is trickier... A Little Piece of Heaven by Avenged Sevenfold is good. I can e-mail that to you if you'd like.
Tomato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything by Bullet for my Valentine or My Chemical Romance would fit in the "revenge" genre. Alternatively, you could go the emo route. For this, Dashboard Confessionals would be good. Oh! What about a combination? Silverstein has some great stuff. Something from their album "Discovering the Waterfront" would be appropriate, I think.
Tyris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in re. the music: how about One of These Days by Pink Floyd?
Admittedly, the lyrics are rather... simplistic. There is precisely one line (as in sung once, not one line over and over like bad rap), but when that one line consists of "One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces!" you can make a very strong argument for it being about revenge. ^_^

Other than that... still searching.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Ghastly One-Eyed Minno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, English and music, my two specialties!

Let's see... right off the top of my head, there's The Mariner's Revenge by The Decemberists, which is basically, like... an eight minute long sea shanty all about the outworking of said mariner's revenge. It's kind of an acquired taste, though, what with the eight minutes of accordions and such.

Give me a little while and I can come up with a lot more, though. Very Happy

EDIT: O YA, you might want to look into A Broken Promise by Placebo, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Spindrifter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*points to Agamemnon, The Libation Bearers.

Can't go wrong with Aeschylus for a cycle of perpetual revenge. Penguin Classics has a good translation. And read the third of the trilogy (The Eumenides) to see how they break from the cycle.

Trickier though it is, dactylic hex of the epic-ish style:
"Alt" he is called and his reign is the fierce and the making of pretties.
Ravenna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For literature, I'm going to suggest the Count of Monte Cristo, though I can't think of any other books of the top of my head. As music goes, perhaps the Cranberries' "Promises" could be a place to look?
Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenna beat me to it. Count of Monte Cristo is a great example for literature that includges revenge by the main character on his enemy.

Cant think of anything for music...
Miho

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenna wrote:
For literature, I'm going to suggest the Count of Monte Cristo, though I can't think of any other books of the top of my head. As music goes, perhaps the Cranberries' "Promises" could be a place to look?

Hee hee, yeah...we're reading that in english currently and I'm going...hmmm...this may just work...Haha, but at the same time since we are reading in class i'm not so sure I want to use it cause them i'll spoil the book for those who haven't read it before.
Miho

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright people you now get to help my wonderful friend out. Her abstract thingy is ambivalance and we need ideas for the video section of the project...anyone know of a good movie scene that displays this rather well? Anyone?

*EDIT*

So how about art work for ambivilance? Anyone got anything?
Tomato

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambivalence...

One particular scene that comes to mind for this adjective is in the first Star Wars movie... "A New Hope" when Han Solo and Princess Leia are in that little tight corridor, and she's trying to turn that nameless switch. She hurts her hand, and he (smoothly) begins consoling her and massaging it. You can see ... emotions on her face, but she's flatly rejecting him over and over until she can't help it anymore and the robot interrupts their finally tender moment.

She seems ambivalent until the final point of acceptance - which is ironically interrupted.

Also... Ambivalent Art.... Hmm...

What comes to mind for me in this are the old western images cameo photographs of early american families, where they appeared to be expressionless, or at least angry... and then when you read their writings, they express deep seated and heart-wrenching emotion that couldn't be contained in a simple photo shoot.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scene near the end of Pulp fiction in the restaurant. The speech about Ezekiel 25:17 where he's deciding what it means to him.
- Issa
Miho

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mato....help me out here... when is this scene.... I borrowed the DVD a new hope from a friend but I can't find this scene of which you speak??? Would you be bit more specific as to when it is.... what happens before or after? is it before the death start thing?
Tomato

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah! Miho! I'm stupid...

By "A New Hope" and "The First Star Wars Movie"... I more accurately meant "The Empire Strikes Back" and "The Second Star Wars Movie" ...

It's the scene right after the empire battles the rebels on Hoth, Han and Leia are trying to escape Vader on their spaceship, they hide in asteroid field.

If you're looking at the DVD, its right after Luke meets Yoda for the first time.

Better? Very Happy

Actually, if you read the screenplay, it really highlights the elements of ambivalence O.o
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need help with Chemistry. Can someone please explain redox reactions to me? I know what makes it a redox - but I'm having trouble telling which elements change charges. Help please?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: