FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Cousins and Grandchildren

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Cousins and Grandchildren Reply with quote

Hi folks. When I moved to Israel, we thought I was the first person in the family to do so. We have since been proved wrong. Very wrong.

First, I met my fourth cousin, who has three children. She has a sister who has seven children. Their father comes to visit all the time. (These are the people I discovered because the taxi driver was from their city in the USA) Recently we rediscovered my grandfather's cousin, who has nieces and nephews and grand-nieces and -nephews scattered all over the country - including one who lives in my neighborhood, who I've already met! I've babysat for them! How small can the world get?!

Anyway, this thread is for two purposes: One, so that other people can share the funny stories of meeting family members you didn't know about. Two, so that someone can explain to me, what is the relationship called between me and my grandfather's cousin's great-niece?

Thanks, all! Enjoy!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Allicat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, tell me about the small size of the world! When I moved to Norway I met a guy called Daniel whose great-aunt is married to someone with my last name in Shetland. Turns out we're related! By marriage and some way back, but still ^_^ it's nice to find family in unexpected places.

We also had an incident a few years ago when a gentleman walked into my Mum's shop and asked for her by name. This isn't shocking since it's on the sign over the door, but what was a shock was that he turned out to be my Dad's second cousin, once removed (see below). Even more of a shock was that his daughter (who still had the same name as us) was the only other dentist of that name in the same county. Not only had both branches of the family gone into dentistry but we had both also moved to the same area with no previous roots there.

Your grandfather's cousin would be your first cousin, twice removed (the twice removed refers to the generation gap, so your Mum's cousin would be first cousin once removed) but nieces and nephews would be second cousins once removed.

So:
Code:

Great-grandparents -- Great-great-uncles/aunts

Grandfather          Grandfather's cousin -- Siblings
                                  (1c 2r)                    
         Parent                                    Nieces/nephews
                                                      (2c 1r)
           You

I think that's right anywho!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my grandpa's cousin's niece's daughter would be... third cousin? third cousin once removed?

I think it's fantastic to find family members, even if they are my marriage or removals. It's just nice to know you're not alone, you know? And it's always good for a laugh!

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Allicat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She'd be just a second cousin. That's actually the same situation we have with the chappie who came to my Mum's shop. His daughter is my Dad's second cousin (grandfather's cousin's nephew's daughter) and it's bizarre to see how similar they are. Also the similarities between the families. We seem to have a lot of very very smart people who aren't so good on the social side of things, but we all muddle along as a family. It was good for us kids to meet distant relatives too, and we see them a lot as friends now.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks!

Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a second cousin in Canada with whom I share the same first and last name (with the same spelling, which is rare) and a similar hair color. I met her once (this was the same time I found out about her existence), and my family members had to call us by our middle names. Incidentally, our middle names have the same meaning.

Other than that, I have great grandparents on both sides of my family who were adopted, so I could actually be related to any number of people without knowing it.

I haven't really had an instance with a relative like you're describing, Asa. Though I do tend to find that when it comes to my family, there are only two or three degrees of separation, where I believe the normal number is six to eight. There's a joke in my family that my dad can go anywhere in the world and meet someone who knows someone he knows. This has been proven to happen, time and again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: