FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Problematic But Shiny
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. Happy belated birthday Britland! ^_^

#

Updates - again potential medical squick for those so disinclined:

Today got a bit more news. Apparently he's had three more heart attacks since going into hospital. Turns out he has a ridiculously high cholesterol and a huge cyst burst in his heart. They've given him an operation to remove some of the stuff from the heart - which apparently isn't in great shape. Going to keep him in for a week, see how he does. Spend the next few months working out what he will and won't be able to do. One way or the other he's gonna be on blood thinners for the rest of his life.

Apparently, if it hadn't happened around a defib machine and hadn't had CPR and so on, he'd've been x_x ... long before the ambulance got there.

Proves such knowledge is worth having I suppose, even if you don't actually do anything with it that time around. There were so many people there who knew what to do and most of them were just staying out of the way - but that's vastly better than having too few people who know what to do. Desirable knowledge to have prevalent in a society sort of thing.

Which is great, because you can get all sorts of medical emergency instructions in aps on your iphones and the like these days. No need to carry a first aid book around with you.

I thought he was carrying a couple of extra pounds at the time but you just don't connect the two. Fat -> Probability of high cholesterol -> Higher possibility of a heart attack.

Nem's thinking maybe the other ... larger ... guy at the club should go and get his cholesterol checked. But it's not really the sort of thing you can say to someone.
- Issa
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed something. What are we congratulating Nem on?

Today I feel I must inform you all that IF you are ever in a position where you have to install Photoshop CS2 on a Windows 7 (64-bit) computer, you should really know that the Adobe installer does NOT support parentheses in file names. So when it wants to install to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe", it will not work. DO NOT be tempted to put it in just regular "C:\Program Files\Adobe", because then you will be in a world of pain, my friends. Instead, what you need to do is install it to "C:\Progra~2\Adobe". That will work -- the "Progra~2" bit is Windows' own internal moniker for the "Program Files (x86)" directory, and it doesn't contain those nasty parentheses.

In the event that you have ALREADY mistakenly installed to "C:\Program Files\Adobe" you are no doubt getting scary messages like "user name, organization or serial number is missing or invalid" when you try to start Photoshop, whereupon it exits. If you've already tried uninstalling, you may even have run into problems where the installer or uninstaller won't start, with the error message "Invalid or missing personalization information". If you find yourself in these terrible straits, here is what worked for me:

1) Uninstalled Adobe Flash
2) Uninstalled Adobe Reader
3) Found all the individual installers on the Creative Suite disc for Photoshop, Adobe Bridge, and everything else
4) Used them to uninstall those programs without using the overarching installer (which won't run anyway)
5) Ran the program Revo Uninstaller, twice; on the first pass I did a moderate sweep and deleted everything it found, on the second pass I did an Advanced sweep and deleted everything it found.
6) Restarted the computer
7) Successfully installed Photoshop CS2 using the "progra~2" folder
Cool Downloaded and reinstalled Adobe Reader
9) Downloaded and reinstalled Flash

And all it took was about 24 hours of pain to learn all that.

Sigh. At least it's all over with and working.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
7) Successfully installed Photoshop CS2 using the "progra~2" folder
Cool Downloaded and reinstalled Adobe Reader
9) Downloaded and reinstalled Flash

You have been stealth-attacked by the sneaky face! Haha!

Tin, we're congratulating Nem on finally getting his driver's license, about oh... couple weeks ago now.

It is SUMMER here right now. Close to 70 degree Fahrenheit.

...It's still February.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:

It is SUMMER here right now. Close to 70 degree Fahrenheit.

...It's still February.

Same here. It took a turn for colder today, though--probably because it's raining.

Today due to rain and cold and not being a morning person (or a winter person), I wandered around in a zombie-like (not the brain-eating variety) state. All day. I attempted to stay awake in all of my classes with limited success. My friend from my Writing for Media class offered to take notes for me so I could nap; but we sit on the front row, so that wouldn't have flown too well. Besides which, I don't nap. Sweet of her, though. She's a funny one--the only person I've met from out-of-country who actually likes American food.

Today I cannot focus on my homework--which means it's good that it's already done--so instead I'll watch tv and make some tea.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. Congrats, Nem!

And it's quite definitely winter here. Currently snowing -- some 8-12 inches expected today. Fortunately the temperature is hovering around freezing, so a lot of it won't stick on the slightly warmer streets. North Dakota has had an unusually warm winter this year.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tin ^_^

Today my back's quite stiff from all that karate yesterday. Gosh, it's so nice being around people who are actually enthusiastic about the thing you're all doing.

I've been trying to analyse, over the years, quite what it is that I like about karate. Whether it's the tempo of the decision loops, or that it hits some particular kinesthetic link in the old noggin or.... and I think being around people who actually enjoy what they're doing might be a large part of it. As an amplifying effect on what's already there anyway.

You don't really notice how much force you're throwing around until the day after.

Few more pull-ups perhaps.

Today have fitted a new bolt for the bedroom door to replace the old one. It's amazing how much just having a habitually used lock on there settles your mind. Even if it wouldn't stand up if someone decided to put the door in.

Not that I imagine they would. People just have a tendency to walk in without knocking around here. >_> Which makes you kinda jumpy - you're settling in with your headphones on, listen to some music, kick back with a cuppa. And all of a sudden someone's behind you.... >_<;;;

More generally, it never ceases to amaze me how few people spend any money properly securing their homes. You hear about someone getting their front door put in on thousands of pounds worth of stuff and you can't help thinking - they'd have had a lot more piece of mind if they'd spent a few hundred quid fortifying their house properly. :/
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always been my opinion that most home security, when it comes down to it, is based off of a "it won't happen to me" policy.

Today my one class of the day was cancelled. Instead of sleeping in I did the responsible thing and got up early to do my case study. Ich, responsibility. I also attended a lecture by a local well-known wealthy type of business person--which counts in place of one of my classes tomorrow.

So, since all of my classes tomorrow are cancelled except for one, I turned all of my homework for tomorrow in today, and am skipping the one class. Because it's not really worth it to me to get up early in the morning, drive half an hour, sit in a class for an hour doing group work (the notes of which I can easily get from someone) instead of listening to lecture, and then driving half an hour back home.

Yay irresponsibility. I feel horrible, because it's a class I begged to get into, so I feel like I should be the perfect student in it. But then again, Spring Break is next week, which means no one will be showing up to classes anyways.

Today it was warm and sunny and gorgeous and I went outside and cat napped on the grass in the sun. Spring is officially here, and my attention span is now officially shorter.

Today I finally watched "The Fall," which a friend has been bugging me about for years. I regret having put it off for so long, I loved it.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I'm sick. Yesterday I relapsed with the coughing, and then yesterday evening I went to a jam session which unexpectedly lasted until about a quarter to one. (Probably shouldn't have done that, given I was coughing so much.) This morning I woke up with a magnificent headache, chills, a bit of nausea, and a fever of 101 degrees Fahrenheit. Went out to buy veggies for dinner, then went back to bed. Over the course of the day my fever has dropped to 99.4 and the symptoms tailed off thanks to meds, but my medical student roommate still refused to let me actually cook the veggies for dinner. I've been curled up in bed all day.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww Asa! Get better soon won't you?

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
treasuredluv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: super long post yay Reply with quote

Today, we had a evacuation at the end of the day at school. Nothing bad happened. At least, I don't think so. This usually happens if there was a fight and if someone got injured badly. I don't think that's what happened (I would've heard about it) and I don't think it matters. My main point is that it was really irritating when they sounded the incredibly loud alarm and people had to be rushed out to the buses. So annoying. What's more is that our bus had to send another buses' kids home, so our bus was stuffed with 3 kids a seat. Plus it was hot and I wear long sleeves so I was practically dying. But I met a old friend from elementary school and we talked on the ride home :) I was glad that I could talk to him after so long, he hadn't changed much (appearance wise). And I'm not really sure but I think I pronounced his name wrong... Oops.

Not really my fault since I haven't really talked to him since 1st grade (we met a couple of times in middle school but didn't really talk). Even now, I barely see him. But it was a nice end to my school week. :)

Asa, I hope you get better. Being sick sucks! Although you do get the privileges of someone being your slave--- I mean taking care of you. x) Get well soon.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sometimes not knowing is best. My school had a bomb threat right after 4th period once and we all stood outside on the lawn for two hours waiting to see if the building was going to disappear in a giant fireball. They wouldn't let anyone leave unless they were already scheduled to do so. Two. Hours. In May. No shade. Ugh.

I hope you feel better, Asa! =(

Today I slept in and sat around all day watching cartoons. My homework can wait until Monday. >>;
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - turning up to school early in the morning annoyed me enough that I got the school registration procedure changed so that we could sign ourselves in and out - and thus skip it if we didn't have a class on. Can't imagine standing around on a field for two hours without going a little nutty. @_@

Hope you feel better soon, Asa. Remember to get lots of rest, it's better to have a short recovery time doing nothing than a long one doing a lot of suboptimal stuff ^_^

#

Today I noticed that the longer you sleep the harder it is to get out of bed. Woke up after three hours and was fine. Slept another four - woke up totally dead to the world.

Phweee. Bed's so warm and comfy, and dreams are like the awesome version of reality. Have poured myself a cup of coffee, so that when the alarm goes off I can try dossing myself with it. May or may not work.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
Wow - turning up to school early in the morning annoyed me enough that I got the school registration procedure changed so that we could sign ourselves in and out - and thus skip it if we didn't have a class on. Can't imagine standing around on a field for two hours without going a little nutty. @_@

Haha, yeah. It was a weird day, to say the least. It was Spirit week--specifically the day where people dressed up like the opposite gender (we attracted lots of stares from cars). The senior English teacher insisted on holding class on the lawn. I suppose that's one way to stay sane instead of waiting for your school to blow sky high.

Today (and yesterday, too), there have been a lot of tornadoes in the Southern and Midwestern US. The system is moving my way. It hit Georgia, and there were tornado warnings in Atlanta, where my best friend goes to school. She was online in the computer lab at her school, and I tried talking her into going somewhere a bit more secure. "But it's not raining. There are people walking around outside. It's fine." *twitch* No, it's not fine. It's a tornado warning. That means one has made landfall in your area. *sigh*

Today I'm getting tired of tornadoes. My area has been relatively lucky, compared to Alabama, Mississippi, and now Indiana. But still. I think we could all use a break. u__u
Poor Indiana . . .
Asa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, Nu, I hope you can stay safe. At least it sounds like you're being practical about it.

It's strange. It's been a very long time since I had an actual fever, and if I recall correctly, I was flushed and overheated at the time. Now, if anything, I feel cooler than normal, and my roommate says I look pale. And yet the thermometer definitely said 100 degrees. Turns out the fever dropped because I took acetaminophen, and I took more this morning. So when the thermometer reads 99.3 I don't know if that's actually accurate. **scowls** I'm back to sniffles and post-nasal drip.

Thank you for all your well-wishes!

Nem

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Nu': Class on the lawn, very bohemian =p

Good luck, also. ^_^

#

Today kept seeing people who were overtaking me, while I was waiting for the safety distance to open up from the car in front, waiting at the next set of traffic lights a short distance down the road. It was highly jollifying. Especially the bits where you could cruise past them really slowly in the other lane as you came up to the lights =p

I'm not sure that jollifying's a real word, but it should be.

Think I'm spending around 10pence a mile at the moment, with the cost of fuel at 1.36 a litre.
- Issa
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 98 of 100

Jump to: