Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
Tinalles wrote:
Oh, I see. You were thinking something like this:

http://meliogeny.net/alice-in-columns.html

That does look rather like what I was talking about. How do you find these things? O_o

Find it? I made it specifically for purposes of this conversation.

Today I finished re-skinning the newly installed ContentDM digital collections manager. It's purdy now. Take a look:

http://digital.library.und.edu/

The pottery collection is especially nice, though the pictures don't really do them justice.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verra nice!

Today I had an idle though - what if Tin was making up his life and not actually doing the things he tells us he's doing? "Hmm, it's been about a year and a half, I think I'll tell them I'm getting a new job. Where would be a logical place to 'go'...?" Obviously I don't think that's actually true, but it would still take a person as smart as Tin to pull it off. *shrug* Just a what-if. ^_^

Today three of our four classes were cancelled, two because of the strike and the third because the teacher was told by one student "All our other classes are cancelled..." so she cancelled her meeting as well. Well that student indeed doesn't attend the fourth class, but the four of us who do now ended up coming to campus for only one hour. Not very pleased about that. And all because, we suspect, this girl wanted to go to the beach today.

-_-

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
Today I had an idle though - what if Tin was making up his life and not actually doing the things he tells us he's doing?

Curses, found out!! I am actually an 83 year old bachelor from Sheboygan, Wisconsin. I work at a local dairy processing cheese curds, and live in my 104-year-old mother's basement. I amuse myself on weekends playing poker in a public park with fellow WWII veterans where we can ogle pretty young ladies and swap stories about the good old days when our kidneys still worked properly. I follow Earthsong strictly for the fan service, and have to have my 52-year-old niece print out all the web pages for me because I haven't mastered this "mouse" thing yet.

Today I exist only in your head. :-
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hee hee. ^_^

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today it is sunny and warm and gorgeous. My teachers could not be persuaded to hold class outside (not even my literature teacher when we suggested he teach us Wordsworth by example). As a result classes, particularly the afternoon classes, were all a bit crazy. No one could stay on task. The teachers might as well have been talking to themselves. I feel bad about that, but really, what do they expect on the first really nice day of the year?

Today my writing teacher managed to give the entire class a panic attack by arranging workshops and giving deadlines for our short stories.

Today I need to finish my research paper so that I'm not working on it and writing my short story. @_@

Edit: Today I noticed that classes were listed through Spring 2013. Looking through what's offered I have finally come to an understanding of what it means to go to an itty bitty college. Due to necessity I now have my class schedule mapped out for the next year. Man, unless they add some classes I'm going to have a lot of free time. I don't even want to think of what's going to happen if some of them get cancelled or I can't take them. O_______O;;;;;
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Successful lesson! Except the main teacher ate up fifteen minutes pontificating on why she can't teach them for the next month or so (she has to focus on the eighth grade for their upcoming standardized tests). So my lesson didn't fit into the available time as well as I would have wanted it to. I might revisit it for next time, since I'll be teaching them next week as well.

I need lesson plan ideas. Any thoughts?

Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my friend and I are making plans to hang out next week when she's home on Spring break. It's going to be so much fun! ^_____^

Today I didn't go to my case study on account of feeling ill. I'll have to go tomorrow, though. A long day, tomorrow will be.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I notice that the equality/diversity sensitivity part of the police recruitment form seems predicated upon the idea that you're a bigot:

Quote:
Q2 It is vitally important in [our] diverse society, that Police Officers respect the lifestyle, culture or beliefs of others

[I found that bit funny as heck, because it should have been and beliefs of others - really 'pick one of the above to respect' seems kinda ....]

even if these differ significantly from the officer's own experiences.

Think of an example of an occasion when you have shown respect for the lifestyle, culture or beliefs of someone, even though they differed significantly from your own and you might even have disagreed with them.

i) Tell us how this situation arose and how you and the other person differed.

ii) Which aspects of the difference did you find most difficult to deal with?

#

Uhm, none of them?

I mean really - the only people I've ever had trouble with are the sort of people who are genuinely unpleasant. And the police arrest those sorts of people all the time for practising their lifestyle.

The only people who can honestly answer that question on the terms its written are the ones who are the sort of people who will have trouble with other cultures - because they're the only ones who mess things up bad enough that they'll need to manage the situation overtly. The rest of us just don't care.

Your form's essentially electing for liars and bigots. Well done. Rolling Eyes
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, right? That's like, "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Held a movie night tonight! Invited a friend over and we watched Gigi. ^___^

Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I re-learned the limitations of my capability. I think I do this too often.

Today my father has come through the other side of triple heart bypass surgery. He had some minor chest discomfort on Monday, was scheduled for a heart catheter to be installed on Wednesday. After the dye was injected, they saw just what the situation was.. He wasn't allowed to even sit up, hasn't been since. Surgery was the next day - today, but he's come through it now.

Exams postponed, classes skipped, and so on. Haven't slept in days, feel kind of tired.

Still, it's easy to see where I get it. Half an hour into post-op, my dad was conscious enough to nod his head and squeeze his hands or wiggle his toes. Tried to communicate, even! Heh.

Going to go visit him now in the intensive care unit. Just needed a place to natter at as to keep awake.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad your Dad is doing ok Usa. Best wishes to you all and big hugs!

Today I did some work in a kitchen. I now stink of fish. I am totally not cut out to be a chef. I'll stick to science and making yummy cakes for my friends ^_^

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad he pulled through surgery, Usa. *hugs* Hang in there, ok? And get some sleep.
Asa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Nu said. I'm glad your father got through surgery okay, and I hope his recovery is speedy and complete. And you too! Please try and get some rest. I hope things settle down for you.

It's kind of wet today - hurrah! Apparently, the Sea of Galilee has risen more than three meters from rain alone, and that's not counting the potential snowmelt. It was five meters below the full mark before, so this has really been an amazing winter. ^_^

Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, for the first--and likely the only--time in my life, I am thankful that my dad does chores and generally makes a lot of noise early in the morning. My alarm didn't go off this morning, and if he hadn't woken me up (unintentionally by talking to by brother on Skype and unloading the dishes) I would have slept right through my first class--and the test I had in that class. I woke up half an hour late as it was, but managed to get out the door within 10 minutes (hurrah!) and make it to class on time.

Today I had two tests, back to back. I blanked out on the first one and couldn't remember anything much for the essays--so my grade is probably going to be less than stellar. The second one I know I aced.

Today I did my case study. Only one more hour left to document and I can officially be done. I think I might still need to interview the teachers, though (heaven only knows when I'll be able to do that) and look at the kid's IEP.

Today I'm pretty positive that the filling (ew) I got at the dentist last week has fallen out. Because there's a large groove in the tooth they worked on that wasn't there before and the tooth itself hurts like nobody's business. Will have to get this fixed sometime. I forgot to call today. How I managed that with a painful constant reminder is a mystery.
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it went alright, too. ^_^

Asa wrote:
I know, right? That's like, "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Urk. Gosh, yeah. Last week? No! Wait! Heh.

Then there's the 'What exactly did you do?' Question afterwards.

>_< Smiled and nodded, excused myself from the conversation? Razz

#

Today handling I/O in Python seems horribly over-complicated.

So, I want to take a string and convert its characters into a number from 1-28 depending on what was pressed.

Ah, thinks Nem, I'll just look up whatever their equivalent of getch is (captures a single keypress). Turn whatever is returned into a number and add that to the array.

Turns out there isn't one >_<

Disturbingly the most elegant solution I've found so far is to keep the text I'd want in a file and read that file using the appropriate file I/O step through commands.

Well, there probably is a way to cheat yourself one if you actually know the language well. But that's not the point.

Also, I miss GOTO Sad - Though I realise I may be alone in that.... It was useful when you just wanted to run a block of code over again because someone had done something silly. Now you've got to use a loop and an error flag - it's messy and unclear. =p

Today eyes bloodshot and blurry. Kinda itchy. Been happening a fair bit recently - mostly on waking up, tends to go away later on. Maybe I need to drink more water or something. I dunno.

20 degrees in here at the moment, you can tell it's going to be a scorcher this year.

Maybe being too hot raises your blood pressure to push more of your heat out towards your skin? -shrug- Might just dilate your blood carrying things though I suppose. Just opened the window and took my jumper (sweater for those of you who are American) off. Definitely dumping a lot of heat :/ Then again I don't recall it being a problem before.

Amount of tea drunk? :/

Or I guess there's always the 'You spend hours each day looking into a monitor' think =p

Or the 'You keep horribly irregular sleep hours and most of the time when you're asleep it's light in the room.'

Heh.

Edit: Oh also found out today - via someone else - that Wetherspoons (a sort of eating/drinking place in the UK; don't know if they're anywhere else) has a really bizarre hiring practice: Don't hire anyone who crosses their arms twice in an interview. Apparently it signals defensiveness.

Heh. Of all the things you could pick up on =p

Today noticed, that ISPs have brokered a deal with the RIAA and MPAA and have agreed to start monitoring traffic for copyright content and to issue punishments for those caught torrenting.

-double sigh-

I don't see this ending well for anyone. On the company side, they'll use enforced TPM. Well, they've already started with Blu-ray and graphics cards....

On the public side it'll be file encryption, mass disobedience - perhaps refusal to purchase the equipment at all.

Encryption is obviously the ultimate endgame.

I suspect that, rather than any real security concerns, is why the government tried to make it illegal a few years back.
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 2 of 67

Jump to: