FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I had a riding lesson, my first group lesson in a while and I was really nervous but it went well. I made a couple of mistakes but no big deal and I finally figured out why I keep getting my feet stuck in my stirrups so that's something to work on.

/Edit A while ago I mentioned that my favourite horse (Biscuit) had been sold and moved to a different stable but today I saw her! She's back at the riding school. It made me a happy Britland. ^ ^
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I attended the state nominating convention of the Democratic Non-Partisan League of North Dakota.

The reason I went? Bill Clinton was giving the keynote address, and I wanted to hear that. It was a pretty good speech. I kind of miss Bill Clinton, despite the shenanigans. His personal life may have been a mess, but he left the country in great shape.
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always somewhat weird when you hear of a company that's done something you like that's going to stop releasing stuff. In this case it's Bandai entertainment - the American Ghost in The Shell folks. You always sort of assume that the things you liked will be there to take forever.

Then again - some decays people don't even notice. Take speakers for example. Most people listen to youtube music through crappy little earphones.... But good 'phones really do make a difference. If you want good sound don't go to a shop and buy gaming earphones, go down your local hi-fi/music store and get yourself a decent pair of cans. Preferably the type you can change the cord out on, and which don't have in-line volume control. (The two most common points of failure are the wires being pulled away from the circuits inside, and the inline vc going.)

The first time you listen to a decent bit of music through those, it's like you'll turn around and look over your shoulder for the person talking to you.

It does amuse me though, when people claim to be able to hear the differences between various types of compressed audio on little white ipod phones. Razz

You can buy a lot more earphone for <100 than you can speakers. A lot better audio quality.

Really nice speakers will run you out for a few thousand pounds. Though you can do well enough with ones that are sort of 150 - 200, if you're not one of those people who insists on huge amps. Which has always struck me as rather odd - an amp is designed to.... amplify. Yes? Get huge speakers and a small amp. Larger speakers have a higher efficiency for the same input.

You can also make yourself some rather nice Electro Static speakers, I hear, not that I've tried it myself. Don't really have the room, or the money. Also they're really dangerous to the stupid =p You can blow your heart out in an instant if you touch both the plates.

Or take digital cameras: People tend to think that a high mega pixel range is better. But it's not. The more MP you fix into a smaller space the higher the noise on the signal and conversely the poorer the low-light performance. Ideally the number you want is closer to mp/area of sensor.

But you know - unless you've heard/seen the difference. You won't realise that the information exists to not hear it.

Momentary thought, that we'd be a lot better off if shops just had demonstration models out and didn't list the specs on the boxes. But, then I think of the horrible display models they have out for TVs. If you went by that you'd think that HD was actually worse than that CRT in a beige box you had back in 1992 Wink

Today up at 4:40am musing about nothing in particular. Woke up, couldn't go back to sleep. Was too hot and if I have the window open the sound keeps me up.

I - find it really difficult to sleep, more so than usual, if there's sound in the area. Or if there's no real weight on me. Need a bit of pressure to get to sleep. Dunno. Got to sleep around 11pm so not too bad today h'actually. ^_^

Hmm, breakfast time me thinks.

Edit: Drove to the next town over. Noticed it takes almost twice as long to get there as it does to get back. Probably because it's up hill most of the way. People - generally - seem to sit in too high a gear. Very bright and warm.

Edit 2: Today heard one of the first sensible uses for a tattoo: Blood type and national identification number. Not a bad idea, really.
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my father's condition has worsened. He was doing well in the ICU after surgery, but so far several of his body's systems have refused to begin functioning. So.. Sitting in the room, watching him fitfully endure his body basically refusing to work, and unable to do much for either of us. Just wait and try new meds, see if some will kickstart the things that aren't working...

"I looked around at all the eyes on the ground
As the TV entertained itself..."
(This is the only place I can quote that, and someone might understand what it means.)

Thank you all for your support, it truly does mean a lot to me. I feel a bit lost - a lot lost, admittedly. It helps a bit, though. Thank you all.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are with you Usa. I hope new meds will sort him out.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs* Thoughts and prayers are with you guys. I hope he pulls through.

Today researching candidates for the election this year is scaring me. Are people really this crazy?

Today my sister-in-law is going to apply for her visa. If she gets it she and my brother are coming here for the summer!
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. -Hugs- I hope he pulls through.

Remember to take care of yourself, too. Have something to eat, have a cup of tea, (probably better not coffee, that stuff liable to make you more nervous.)

-hugs-
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs*

Oh, Usa... I hope it doesn't get worse. Whether or not this is a welcome thought - G-d is always there, waiting for you to talk to Him. I have found that He's always listening, and always has an answer... but it's a very personal thing, so.... I hope you can find some comfort, and your father will be in my prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

Well before I heard that Usa's father was in bad shape, it was a rather good day. Good weather (until a huge amount of dust has blown up, killing visibility on the horizon and turning the sky white and making my eyes sting), and my students behaved better than they have in a while.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all again, immensely, for your support, well wishes, and prayers. I do have good news today! Today is an improving day, a good day. He's up and mobile, though the physical effort of walking around is exhausting him quickly. That said, he's pushing to make that effort. The most recent meds they tried were much more successful, and while his body's systems haven't quite begun to work on their own, now they have a way to get things working one way or the other. So, right now he's on the mend, and with all good fortune he won't fall off the road to recovery again!

I'll keep updating, if you guys would like. I apologize for dumping this on you all after so long a silence. Yesterday was a huge shock, as he has been steadily and rapidly improving. And, of course, the whole event itself.. It's not every day your father walks into a hospital to investigate some strange sensations in his chest, and goes in for bypass the next day. >>

Going to clean up the house a bit, and then head to see him. If he takes another sudden and dramatic turn for the worse again, I'll show him chest pain.. *shakes fist impotently*[/b]

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear he's improving Tenshi, I hope he recovers soon.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise ^____^

#

Today:

Quote:
Are you able to provide 3 forms of ID, one of which must be a passport or full birth certificate and the others should be a bank or building society statement or utility bill dated within the last month?

What does that even mean? O_o

Do they want 3 forms of ID - one of which must be a passport or birth certificate AND one of which must be a bank or building society statement or utility bill?

Or do they want three forms of ID, one of which must be a passport or birth certificate and two of which should be bank / building society statements or utility bills?

Or, do they want one of each?....

I would imagine the latter, but their phrasing is frustratingly muddy. Especially for someone who doesn't have utility bills.
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want a birth certificate or passport (proof of citizenship, looks like), and also two proofs of residency.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Asa ^_^

#

Today finished ME3 - someone else's computer, I wasn't going to buy it with the DRM restrictions.

It's my least favourite of the franchise - and not just because of the ending, which everyone's (justifiably) complaining about.

It's the... lack of any sense of reality or choice. I'm rallying fleets and armies and --- I can't even get a couple of mooks to come along with me and steam roller any opposition? Really?

And what are your choices...? Most of the time whether to save one of two groups. Or in the case of the ending which colour explosion you want - I suppose.

Each edition seems to swing wildly from one direction to another - and although it's a trilogy you get the feeling that they had no real idea what the overall story was meant to look like.

Which leaves you with? As a third person shooter it's not up to the standards of Max Payne, Gears of War, or Uncharted. And what does that leave you? Power use isn't really something that takes any thought or invention....

They tried to make you a super soldier and the engine/gameplay setup doesn't support it from one direction and the story/mythology doesn't support it from the other - leaving you with something that's just sort of... there. Played to see where the thing ends, not because it's any good.

-shrug-

I seriously wonder about the long-term profitability of Bioware. They don't seem to be making the sort of stuff that they became famous for. Beyond what can just be put down to not having enough money to create the assets they might want, I mean.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got to hang out with my friend who's home from college for the week.

Today I had a late group meeting at school, so I had to drive up and spend four hours camped out in the English Department working on editing an essay and reading Great Expectations.

Today my advisor told me I'm still going to be short, credit-wise, by a bit. He said I could possibly take a third minor. I think I'll just take fun electives, instead.

Tonight it decided to pour buckets. I was parked far from the library and I had no umbrella. My jacket didn't last long against the rain--especially after I tripped over nothing and landed face-down in a giant puddle of water. Whee. I forgot what Spring was like here.

Tomorrow I'm going to invest in an umbrella.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my father came home a bit early (they were worried about MRSA, since he's battled that in the past). He's not quite out of the woods, but the list of issues is now on this side of manageable. He's a stubborn sort, so he's been pushing himself to get up and move around. Today we had a walk out onto the porch, and he sat for a bit enjoying the weather before having to head back inside. ^_^ So, though right now we're taking baby steps, I think we're moving in the right direction again. Thank you all, again, for your prayers and support.

Red Skelton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 3 of 67

Jump to: