FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Some Appreciation for the Pro-ladyness of ES

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion
Sparrow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Some Appreciation for the Pro-ladyness of ES Reply with quote

I just... needed to say this:

I *love* the portrayal of women in this comic.

Time and time again, Earthsong is the antithesis to just about every negative stereotype that women run up against.

Quote:
Women can be stern and commanding without being labeled 'b****es.' (Nanashi)

Romance is possible without the I'd-die-without-it obsession with sexual/romantic attention. (Willow and Tristram)

Being a mother is something that informs someone's strength. (Gwen, and to a budding extent, Earthsong herself)

Friendship and teambuilding between women does not mean social backstabbing and petty tiffs for social status or romantic attention. (Haven's Guard)

And that is why, even though I'm not around on the forums much any more, I will always read and buy this comic. If I ever have a child I will read it to them as they grow up because this comic is so full of positive instances of women doing things they love, having healthy friendships with each other, and working for a greater good.

I feel like there are tons of examples that I am missing! And not just for stereotypes of women exclusively! Help me build this list!

-----

(The following paragraph is a bit off-topic, but is the inspiration for this post. If anyone would like to discuss this further- and I am all for that!- PM me, or start a topic in general discussion and link it here. Or heck, express interest, and I'll start a topic.)

I've just decided to stop reading another comic because of its constant insistance (over YEARS) on fueling plot with "manipulative little girls will do *ANYTHING* to get sexual attention/social status." This week it finally pushed me WAY over the edge with an insane portrayal of a teenage girl feigning sexual assault to guilt a man into a date. I am just... so angry about the existence of that sexist drivel in the lovely comic collective of the internet. Perpetuating the fallacy of "vistim blame is a reasonable assumption b/c girls lie about abuse all the time," right in my own backyard. Ugh! I'm still really riled up about it.

I am so thankful for Earthsong.

Edited for the language filter by Sparrow. Also, maybe I am projecting my shipping onto the point about T/W as a 'romance.' hmmm
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, thank you so much!

I am amply flattered and grateful for the comments. The portrayal of women in comics (or any type of media) is incredibly important to me and I strive to create positive and realistic female characters.

Proudly passing the Bechdel test since 2004! Very Happy
litlestamazon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. Sparrow has put very succinctly what I've felt. Keep up the awesome work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: