FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Venting Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least they're not targeting you? It sounds like they're yanking the rug out from both of you, rolling it up, and stuffing it into the car for their own use. I know that they're generally wonderful people, so I hope that heals in time and your family can come back together again.

Good luck with your various searches and ventures.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that my parents often forget little things they've said, even if those things are quite significant, anything I'm not hammering away at I can't be sure they'll remember, or won't misremeber. Perhaps something similar is going on here. Or perhaps they made the offer on the assumption of some hardship on your part that they discovered wasn't the case.

Dunno. Well, obviously. =p it's certainly strange that they'd not have a problem with it and then it floods and suddenly it's a money thing.

In any case, it sounds very unpleasant. I hope you find somewhere nice to stay.

- tea and biscuits -
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. They really are amazingly good people, and things are improving quite a bit. We had a good dinner tonight with a friend I brought over, and that seemed to break the ice with my own parents (odd to say that). We sat around for hours after dinner, talking about random things - from neuropsychology to astrophysics to 60's folk music. The usual circuitous route of my family's conversations.

Ironically, it took inviting someone who is a stranger to them over to dinner to break the ice with my own parents... >_> I'll take what I can get!

The financial issues have been resolved - I've caved, borrowed money from a friend. I'll pay them back next semester. In terms of finances and housing, I'm going to make a budget and present it to my folks. Hopefully I can convince them that it's actually the better plan that I'm pretty sure it is.

So far, though, things have vastly improved.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The girl who's training me has a habit of saying, when I get really flustered, "Calm down. You haven't killed anyone. Yet." Not reassuring.

Today I came really close to messing up a code (an emergency page on the overhead line). Now, the codes are really, really important. If there's any type of emergency in the hospital--from a fight to a missing kid to someone at death's door--it comes through our line and we're in charge of alerting the people who need to know

So. Today's code. It came in through the emergency line, and I didn't catch what the code was, because the caller used an alternate name for it. I thought that maybe she said "STEMI," which I can never get a clear explanation for from my trainer, except that it's one of those life-or-death codes that calls for immediate action. I told my trainer I wasn't sure what it was, and she can't listen in on the emergency line, so she didn't catch it either.

"If it's a STEMI, though, we're in trouble."

So we were running around in panic for about a minute, trying to figure out the right extension to call and figure out what was going on in the room. After a minute or two the lady called back and asked if we'd paged the code, because she hadn't heard anything. She'd said "CVA" which is another name for "Stroke." I didn't know that.

I mean, we got it figured out, and Strokes are an easy code--we just page overhead and don't have to alert the doctors. But still. It was nerve-wracking, not know what she'd said and knowing that someone was in possibly severe trouble and I'd been too incompetent to do my job properly.

And I know strokes aren't the worst medical emergency. But they can still be pretty bad. My Granddad died from a stroke.

I guess it was just a wake up call. Pay more attention next time because people really could die if I mess up, in certain situations.

Which, is a lot of pressure.

And then I kind of had a little bit of a breakdown because immediately following that code the lines went crazy and stayed that way for the next three hours, and I couldn't really deal with it.

*sigh*

Well, mess up, learn things, do better next time.
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hug* I don't suppose you could get hold of a book of the codes? When I was doing the security thing they had stuff listing what the abbreviations were. There might be one on the Internet if it's a standard system.

*hug*

Cup of tea?
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you've been there what, two weeks? You're barely out of the gate. That's a lot of responsibility, but you're not the only one paying attention and you have plenty of time to get more familiar with the work and to really hit your stride.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as unhelpful as saying "You've not killed anyone yet" is she's kinda right. You get to make the mistakes on something non-crucial so you can learn for next time, and you will learn for next time. Take a breath, file it away for future consideration, and get on with saving lives, because that's what you're doing every time you put a code through properly. Be proud of the work you do Nu *hug*

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to chime in with the rest, hang in there. Everyone has brought up good points already: You're just learning, you've not done any harm, you're learning. That's the key. Like Nem said, see if you can find a book of codes, or ask them if there's a list of standardized codes or whatnot.

Beyond that, it is high stress. Don't let it drag you down too much, okay? Hang in there, see if it gets better. I'll keep good thoughts for you.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Importing an opml file to an RSS reader on your phone is unreasonably difficult. No, I don't WANT to use google reader, I already have my feeds integrated into my browser, thank you. I don't need to have them on a webpage - I just want to be able to get them on my phone easily.

Go away. Urg.

There's a lot of data on the cloud that makes no sense to keep on the cloud me thinks. Your computer and your phone can talk to each other, why'd you need it on the cloud unless they never come within radio range of each other and for some unimaginable reason can't send emails?

Doesn't. make. sense.

You know, I like google's products, by and large - but sometimes... they can be a very worrying company when you're trying to do something without them and realise how unnecessarily difficult it is. Lot of power there.

On the other hand I don't much care for the RIAA and their cronies either. And Google seems to be the main counterweight to their lobbying....
- Issa
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing to people you sort of kinda know but have only met once or twice and they want to do nice things for you that might get you a job or something is really weird. >_> You're not sure what the appropriate level of formality is. And if you end it

Blah blah blah.

Thank you.

It makes it sound like your obligating them to the offer - like, you know, Thank you minion, go do that now.

I mean do you call them Dear Mrs X, or Dear Catrina, or - strictly speaking they're being friendly which would dictate a familiar form of their name. But you only met them for a few hours which would dictate a less familiar form, especially since you don't know their preferred name form for their first name. And there's certainly the sense that they're making the offer more because they know a friend of yours than because they know you.

I know that when people call me my full first name it really annoys me.

Though I suppose on the other hand I wouldn't want to make an offer to someone in a friendly sense and get Dear Mr X of Y...

:/ Ugg.

I could spend hours stalling on this. This is one of the reasons that I like formal correspondence, or a clearly delineated switch of formality levels - please call me X.

... Nem; dreaming of the day when you all only have one way of being addressed. Wink
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also complicated if you're addressing your letter to a woman and don't know whether to call her Mrs, Ms.

An easy way around awkward salutations is to just address the letter with their first and last name.

Quote:
Jon Doe,

Blah blah blah

*shrug* Sometimes simplest is best--especially if you don't know a person that well, and are unsure of how they prefer to be addressed.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have a gender neutral name and you don't know them at all it's very annoying.

Nem wrote:

... Nem; dreaming of the day when you all only have one way of being addressed.

Comrade?
Asa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms. is a maritally-neutral title. It was made up a few decades ago and I can't remember why specifically, but it does work in this capacity now. For men, call them all Mr. regardless of marital status. When writing a letter to someone you're not familiar and friendly with, it's always better to err on the side of formality. Especially when you plan to ask them for something later...

It also makes you look like a polite, gentlemanly sort of fellow, which is always a plus when looking for a job. Do the things others like to see, and you'll come off as a friendly, workable guy who will be pleasant to be around in the office. Always remember to present yourself well.

Nem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comrade. Bwahahaa. Dear Comrade, I am writing to inform you of our glorious... Dear Comrade, your rent is past due... Dear... Ah, it even changes tone for you Twisted Evil

#

Yeah. I went with dear full first name this time around - which seems fairly formal to me since near enough everyone I know uses shortened first names among friends (whenever someone uses my full first name I look around to see who I'm in trouble with =p.) It's just a weird position where you don't want to be too formal because if they think they're more friendly than you do, maybe you end up offending them.

Most of the time I go with:

Dear Mr/Ms First name Last name,

I am writing to enquire about...

Yours sincerely,
Mr Nem

May veer more towards that form the next time, if I'm ever in this position again of writing to someone I've met for only a few hours here and there.
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only use Mr First-name Last-name when addressing the envelope, otherwise address the individual as Mr. Last-name.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23

Jump to: