FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Happy Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Nem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Happy Thread Reply with quote

Like the vent thread, but with less unhappy.

Just got a call from some folks i did some research for a while back. They want me to come and do some more for them, ^_^ and this time they're happy to pay. Will be a novel experience, being paid for my work =D
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this thread!

I worked solidly from 9am to 7:30pm. Hour meeting, two hours data hunt, hour and a half tutoring, four and a half hours acoustic analysis, hour and a half class.

^_^

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that an article I wrote made it into the local paper. They misspelled my last name, but that just made it funny.

Today was beautiful and sunny and warm. My friends and I dragged a picnic blanket onto the grass under a pine tree and enjoyed the weather.

I have come across an unexpected source of income that I thoroughly enjoy--knitting.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just learned about the spaced repetition, which is a general-ish rule (doesn't apply to everthing, mostly seems to be declarative knowledge/motor skills) that kinda backs up some stuff I've been doing for teaching. Turns out if you teach someone a little and then teach them something else and then return to what you taught later on you get superior retention.

Kinda neat to have a general rule backing up something you were doing. At least if you want to justify it to others ^^;
- Issa
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much procrastinating I have finished editing my book!

I feel like I'm a step closer to actually maybe being an author one day.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Britland! ^___^
Are you going to send it off for publishing?

Tuesday I covered an event at the environmental center about endocrine disruptors. I was really worried about the article I wrote for it, because the presentation ran a lot more like a biology class than anything else, and I wasn't sure I covered the right things or explained the topic so that someone who knew nothing about the endocrine system could understand it easily.

But my boss lady sent me an e-mail today to say that the head of the center and the events planner had both read my piece and thought I'd explained it really well and that it was well written.

Kinda made my day. ^________^
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Nu!

Yeah, I'm going to send it to some agents but right now a couple of my friends are proofreading it. I'll wait for them to finish and see if they have any advice first.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I held salamander for the first time today. The environmental center took small groups to hunt for them and we found several. I found one, even.

They're kinda cute. And not slimy, which I appreciated. ^_____^
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? You never hunted for them in the creek during the summer? We used to collect them in pails.

Hosted my first Shabbat lunch yesterday (a success! And they loved my chicken), after which we sat around on my floor and played Apples to Apples. It was surreal - the game is clearly American, all the people and place cards were American (except the obligatory 'foreign element'), and yet Americans made up only a third of our playing group. I kept coming across the perfect card!... if only the judge was American.

And yet I still managed to win in the end, with 14 cards. ^_^ Our initial winner was a first-timer, but after her winning six she didn't get a single other card until the very last round.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunshine!

^___^
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
really? You never hunted for them in the creek during the summer? We used to collect them in pails.

No, we never did. I'm not sure if they're just not particularly native to this area, if they were endangered when I was a kid or what, but I honestly can't remember ever hunting for them--or a single kid I knew doing it, either.

And I played in creeks a lot as a kid. I do remember that we'd go down to the creeks and catch crayfish--we used to fill mason jars with them.

Hmm, actually now I'm wondering if it could have been a pollution problem. My parents never wanted me to go in the creeks because there were a lot of pesticides and run off from the farms and cow pastures--I remember that's why we were never allowed to eat the crayfish, at least, maybe it had some effect on the salamanders?

It's time for . . . RESEARCH!!
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night a friend called me at a quarter to eleven in a weepy near-panic because she hadn't had fun at a party. Her husband had scoffed at her when she wanted to leave early, and she had started to think she was crazy, and socially retarded, and selfish for not doing something she didn't like with her husband.

I was able to talk her down, talk her out of the depression, and explained about the difference between introverts and extroverts. Her husband is very clearly an extrovert, and she is a friendly introvert (not to the same extent as me, but on my end of the scale). I explained a few points, told her what to talk to her husband about, and left her in a much better, more confident frame of mind.

I love helping people, it always makes me feel so much better.

Also, today we had a lovely trip to the Dead Sea, and I had a lovely, wide-ranging conversation with a man who thought he knew what he was talking about.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:

Also, today we had a lovely trip to the Dead Sea, and I had a lovely, wide-ranging conversation with a man who thought he knew what he was talking about.

Haha!

Also, somewhere, there is a cheat sheet teaching extroverts how to take proper care of introverts. I mean, honestly, it's needed. Sigh.

Sunday evening my school's literary magazine hosted a reading. My poetry teacher asked me to read, so I did. It was a lot of fun! And I won two student chosen awards for best poem and photograph from last semester's issue.

Also apparently I am winning some sort of award at the award's ceremony next week--because they sent me an e-mail and told me to be-there-or-else.

I'm sorry if it seems like bragging--it's not I promise. I'm just mildly in shock because I've never actually won anything before--at least not in any category of anything that mattered to me.
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Nu, this is the happy thread - you're SUPPOSED to talk about the things that make you happy! It makes us happy to hear you're happy.

Nem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! ^__^

Tinu. wrote:
Haha!

Also, somewhere, there is a cheat sheet teaching extroverts how to take proper care of introverts. I mean, honestly, it's needed. Sigh.

This one?

- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: