FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Assorted tips

Nem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Assorted tips Reply with quote

I remember we used to have a thread a bit like this, but I didn't want to bump it.

Anyhoo, just a thread for little things you've noticed - or been told - over the years that have turned out well ^_^

Something I read a while back that's turned out quite well:

Try to expunge should from your vocabulary when talking to people. Most of the time what people say when they say 'should' is well meant, but it makes things unnecessarily confrontational. You can stick 'might work better' or 'could' or something similar in there and it will tend to be better received.

And something that I was told a while back which is all manner of handy:

When you think someone's said something that your instinct is to take exception to ask them, politely, whether they actually said it, even if you have no doubt that they did.

Anyhoo, yeah. Be interested to see what little things people have picked up over the years here and there. Even if they seem obvious ^^;
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - when in conversation, hedge. It's polite. When offended, double-check, because you might be misinterpreting. Good points, Nem.

Drive defensively.

Talk inclusively. Along the same lines as Nem's hedging, don't give advice with the 'command you' (You should do this, It's better if you do that). Give an example of a time you had a similar problem, and what you discovered to help (I had that problem, and I learned that if I did X, it was much better. Would that help here?). And shut up if the person doesn't want your help.

Plan redundantly. Especially for travel. I always try to know at least two different ways of getting where I need to go, and and two sets of directions (one in my head, and at least one on paper). Then I have a backup if something goes wrong. And a contact person!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up from Psychology class: Avoid "This but That" statements.
Example: You're a great student, but your final paper was awful.
The only thing anyone will ever remember/hear is the second half of the sentence.

In other words: don't fluff up bad news or negative things with compliments.

I actually have a bit of the opposite rule in travel, Asa, I try not to plan too much! Not that I'm not saying don't know where you're going, and don't be well prepared. But I am wholeheartedly against list making as far as activities. Because then, if things go wrong, I am disappointed. However, spontaneity makes travel, in my mind. So always leave some room for serendipity!

Or I guess you could just say that when it comes to travel, flexibility and a sense of adventure are the keys to success. ^__^
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for some positive idea for how to tackle the mistakes occurs in the jobs.
Miho

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that some of you are not from the US of A and reside in other countries.... Any tips on how not offend people in Europe on accident? Or how to not stick out like an American? Or maybe just some general travel tips? Give me your advice on things that I should and shouldn't do. <--Sorry nem, couldn't think of how to word it without the 'should'
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really depends where you're going in Europe. There's no hard-and-fast rule to avoid offending everyone other than don't be rude Razz I've found most people are willing to forgive an offense if they know it's not malicious.

General stuff:

Try and learn a few words or phrases in the language of the country you're going to. Even if you don't know much, people will definitely appreciate the effort.

If you're in a city, take care with your belongings. Be aware of where the opening of your bag is, and keep your important stuff (passport, wallet, phone, etc.) in a shoulder bag that you keep glued to your hip.

Be friendly and open. Generally people will be glad to show you the best of where they live.

Enjoy yourself! It will be great fun, no matter what happens.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn this sentence: "Do you speak English? I don't know [language]." Memorize it by heart. The ones who do speak English will help you, and the ones who don't won't feel as inadequate.

English as a language places much more emphasis on politeness than other cultures and languages. What this means in practical terms is that you should not be offended if others appear rude or abrupt if you or they are asking for something. This does NOT excuse rude or offensive behavior in general, but be aware that "Could you possibly be so kind as to open the window" is going to be rare, and "Please open the window" might be as well.

Be patient with yourself and others. Don't be embarrassed to stop people on the street and ask for help. Don't be embarrassed to stop multiple people for help. Ask until you understand.

Have fun!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are generally friendlier away from capital cities in my experience, and if you make some attempt to speak their language. Keep your valuables somewhere safe, an inside pocket for instance.

Hmm, not sure about not appearing to be an American though. =p
- Issa
Miho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips! Europe went well. Spent most my time in Spain, so it was easy getting around there. Italy, wasn't so bad...but France, eesh. I had no idea what was going on there.

And yes, I found that the smaller towns had very nice people who just wanted to share everything! I did four days of the Camino de Santiago and everyone I met along the way was sincerely helpful and pleasant.

Also, another good tip I discovered, if you're having an argument with someone over something silly, it's best to just walk away, think about it, and realize it's not a big deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: