FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Truth Behind Willow: Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe ES just likes poking people in the head, or makes it easier, or requires less setup time or something like that. Her castle thingy is hidden under some form of glamour IIRC ...
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock that's solid from one direction and invisible from the other, like a one-way mirror - created specifically by Earthsong to protect the Haven.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
time out

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when willow was 'born' why wasn't she, you know, naked?

not that im asking for fanservice! Embarassed (not that im not asking for it) Laughing

Last edited by time out on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so; we pretty much saw the instant she was born. Smile
time out

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeniel wrote:
I don't think so; we pretty much saw the instant she was born. Smile

but WHY wasn't she naked? did earthsong make those clothes?
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clothing gnomes!!!

Seriously though, I think the Eve is really more of an expression of what the planet wants than a flesh-and-blood traditional 'baby'. So if Earthsong thought she wanted a princess-type daughter, her mental image may have included something like a long flowy dress. Our fantasies don't usually involved minutest levels of what we humans consider reality, that comes later when we begin to analyze them. Given that Earthsong didn't know she had an Eve, I'd say this was almost pure dream, and very little 'realistic' planning. And remember that Earthsong isn't Earth, and so what humans consider 'normal' really isn't.

Remember also that there are a multitude of worlds in this Saga. Who knows but there could be one where people are born clothed?

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
time out

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill just go with 'earthsong made them subconsciously'
fuedalknite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Bel Created willow theory? Reply with quote

2 words, Planatary Control. He needs the throne the swords and her eve to control the planet. i draw my conclusion form page 39 volume 3. and as desturbing as this idea sounds, i think he wants earth songs surface for his own, the part were he says you will leave gives me the impression that he dosent mean for her to just leave the cave, i think he wants here gone compleatly so that he can get more solstone weilders for, and hears another scary thought, food. i think the soulstone bearers soulstones are the only things keeping him alive till he finds a new "body" to inhabit, still this may be way off the mark but its a theory right. Wink
Deadhorse3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Bel was collecting soulstones to make his own siderean element. I could be wrong, but wasn't he trying to get samples of the other planets elemants in the flashback before he exploded or whatever? And he had a solution conveniently available, he could have already known that the other one was dead and was trying to take advantage of the situation. Either way, he wanted those soulstones long before his surface was destroyed, so that can't be the only reason.
Kuro_Neko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just archive binged the whole comic in one sitting after having been away for a long time, then hopped over here to the forums. This is my first post and I haven't really read anything but the rules thread and this one. I have however read all twelve pages of this one so at least I know I'm not completely off the rails here.

Willow as ES's Eve: I totally saw that coming.

Willow's creator: I'm a proscriber of the KISS principle. The most-likely theory, at least in my mind, is ES simply subconsciously created her. It's obvious from the initial ES infodump that she really was looking forward to creating her Eve, and having all these children around but none of them truly hers had to have intensified that. Yeah, it's supposed to be a secret passed down from the Sidera but that doesn't mean she couldn't have done it by accident. She's been exposed to other planets' children for ages now so that should give her a big leg up on that.

Why she had clothes: Sticking with KISS, ES included them while in the subconscious creation process, since she wouldn't have wanted her beloved and long awaited daughter to show up naked.

Why ES and Bel both thought Willow was a new arrival: The last step of creating an Eve is likely teleporting her to the surface from whatever safe place she was created in (probably under the surface somewhere) and that teleport feels enough like the soulstone carriers that ES and Bel were fooled. (for this I assume the Throne does the long distance teleporting automatically and ES (and Bel) just handle the short distance landing procedure)

Bel's comment of he thought he'd failed: This seems to me to refer to the process of activating Willow's soulstone. He thought he'd failed, but then he realised that she simply doesn't have a soulstone to activate.

Bel's gloating, specifically the 'our daughter' line: This is what actually prompted me to find the forum and post. Many people seem to see this to mean that he had a hand in her creation. My fear is he's referring to the infection he'd caused earlier. I hope I'm wrong. That Willow isn't infected because she had no soulstone to infect. But that fact that her blood is ES's element seems to negate that theory. Which leads me back to my fear. I fear that he has successfully infected her, making her part ES and part Bel, thus "our daughter". I really hope that's not the case. Willow has had a pretty turbulent life so far (all three or so weeks of it) and it would be a crying shame for her to have to pay for one ill-thought-out action with a taint she can never get rid of for the rest of her (very long) life.

Willow's power: What little discussion of Eve's there is seems to imply they have all the powers their parent planet does, though to a lesser degree, at least until they choose a particular power. So she can likely do everything ES can (not including the Sidera stuff). Just not as powerfully. This probably includes creation and/or control of the very life and land of the planet, at least on a local scale. Some might consider such a broad power-set to be overpowered, but I imagine it would take considerable practice to do anything really sophisticated, particularly in a small time frame and especially in the midst of battle. The whole time stuff with relation to the soulstone carrier (if that's even still canon, nowhere in the current comic or 'about' section states that the carriers don't age or that they're returned to their planet of origin immediately after leaving) would likely be the Sidera power and thus not accessible to Willow (probably).

Why Bel wants Willow: Probably manifold. Leverage over ES and a very powerful minion are likely two. But the prime one that occurs to me is, Eve's are progenitors of their respective races. Bel could likely use her to make a new race of children loyal to him.

Meow,
Kuro_Neko
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we're not quite done speculating on where Willow comes from!

I wonder if Willow was born when Bel infused his element into Earthsong's crust? If Earthsong went so long without an Eve, what changed? It wouldn't have been Bel's simple presence on Earthsong, since he'd been there for a while before Willow showed up. Or maybe there's a gestation period! Thoughts?

Or maybe Bel's just trying a new tactic to get Willow on his side.

Sparrow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought: If there is a happy ending, Willow will be able to play a big role in helping Earthsong with the arrivals! No more waiting for soulstones to mature to remove them! (If I'm remembering the process correctly.)

Or maybe she begins an intersolar journey, hopping around to each planet to cure the plague of element-seeepage :3 STAY TUNED FOR SEASON 2.

Additionally, this made me think about the similarities that Willow has to Earthsong vs Bel's Eve. Kind of like a nature vs nurture argument, it starts a conversation about what features of an Eve are intrinsic to the element being used and what characteristics the creating planet has control over.

Is Willow's hair white because it is Earthsong's manifest color, or because Bel was going for the same look as his Eve?

Her hair is curly, not straight like Bel's Eve. Intrinsic?

Eye color is obviously intrinsic, as with skin hue- but perhaps the shade of the skin is under the control of the creator.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure what you mean by your questions, Asa - is the section about her creation not clear? Anyhow, you can see Bel actively creating Willow here: http://earthsongsaga.com/vol4/83.php

All ES did was unknowingly provide the element that's in her veins, and pull her away from Beluosus just as she was being completed.

And Willow IS supposed to look like a mashup of ES and Bel's Eve! Glad that came across (I always worry that I'm not being straighforward and/or subtle enough with these things). Willow is a mash up of what Earthsong had hoped to make her Eve look like, and what Beluosus remembered his own Eve looking like. ES got a bit of a say Willow's appearance it in that brief moment when she pulled her away from Bel.

In general though, a planet can completely control everything about their Eve's appearance - they don't have to look like their manifest form if they don't want the too. Eye colour is connected to element colour though, at least in the early generations.
Sparrow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always made tons of sense to me that the skin color would have a similar tint to the element, since it is canon that there is an amount (100%? oh memory you fickle thing) of element in an Eve's blood, and the capillaries in skin are what give people with albinism pinkish skintone in blood-rich areas. But hey, melanin and other skintone changing compounds would certainly be under the control of a planet! So I guess what I'm saying is that perhaps all Eves have a form of albinism? Oh jeeze I should stop this nonsense speculating and go to bed. Thanks for the reply, LY~
Asa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember what the page was when I asked those questions back in January. Seems like they were all addressed in that page you linked, though, so thanks Lady!

I enjoyed that little exchange - I like seeing the science behind the story come to life. ^_^

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: