50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Eh, sure. Why not.
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

theBSDude

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Halo 3 Reply with quote

I hearby declare this the Halo Thread! Post here if you want to... well, talk about Halo. Do you prefer Spartan of Elite? Sniper Rifle or dual SMG's? This is the place to talk about what ever you want regarding Halo.

If there's no interest, I won't be too offended.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
theBSDude

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pretty relaxed view of gaming edicut- physical interference is about where I draw the line. To me, trash talk is an element of the game, along with screen-looking. I'm know among my friends as the Master of Screen-looking. I know just about every corner of every map, and exactly where to find weapons and grenades, so I can afford to watch my opponents' screens. Screen-looking requires a lot of awareness- you can't afford to take too much attention away from your own screen. I can handle one opponent without trying, two is harder, and three is almost impossible.
Trash-talk is, of course, about distraction. I could probably screen-look against three opponents if it wasn't for my friends' efforts to keep me distracted. Trash-talk has it's downsides, too. You can't make people too mad or they'll drag you outside and stone you, or at least gang up on you in-game. It also requires a portion of your attention that might have warned you about the guy behind you with the Grav-Ham.

Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on all counts (screen looking and trash talking), though I try not to employ either. The reason being? Trash talking is immature, in my opinion. While a valuable tactic, I tend to see myself as a bit above anything more than a friendly taunt "Aww, c'mon, you mean you aren't gonna come get me with that rocket launcher?"

Screen looking, I stopped doing when I started playing Live. I found that, if I practiced with friends and saw their screens, it made me play WORSE on Live, because I was so used to having extra intel. If you can predict a person without seeing a person or hearing a person, then you're in a lot better shape.

As an aside, it's "etiquette" by the way Razz

Preferrences:

Spartan > Arbiter (anyone who says otherwise is lying, Arbiter has a HUGE head box in MP games, way too easy to headshot)

Battle Rifle > SMG (I was trained to kill with the BR in 4 shots. Two shot combo kill from H2 is still possible, but standalone the BR)

Rocket Launcher > Sniper Rifle (My play style is FAR too mobile to utilize a camping weapon)

Shotgun > Beam Sword (I'm one of those who can kill someone as they charge with the sword)

Hunter vs Camper? Both. Let me explain: I'll hunt somebody to harass them into making me the focus of their gaming world, and only then will I start camping and leading them into my traps. I'll set up elaborate complexes of movable crates and special grav pads, shields, etc to better hold my position... I train with some good players.

Speaking of training, a buddy of mine and I had a gametype on one of the Halo's that's still legendary (and we still recreate it). The name of the game was "Blue Balls", and the settings there thus:

Players Invisible, No shields, 200% health, Infinite Grenades, no motion tracker.

Why, you ask? Because I can stick someone from across the map without them standing still. Because I can ricochet a frag grenade down a hallway and roll it under a guy's feet...while he's behind a bunker. Because I can stick a Ghost AND a Banshee. Razz

More often than not, I get too bored to play with anyone who doesn't meet my level of skill. So, really, that's just the guy who used to play Blue Balls with me. I'll end up grabbing Ghosts, Warthogs, and Mongeese and just trying to splatter people. Razz Actually, because of that habit, most of my friends now refuse to play maps with vehicles enabled...because I'm VERY good at splattering them...lol

So, eh, why not? Let's talk about Halo.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
theBSDude

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hehe*
Fun read.

I don't rely solely on screen-looking, but I play differently if it's an option. If I can screen-look, I like Battle Rifle and Sniper Rifle. I can't camp, so the sniper, to me, is only a hunting weapon.
Recently, I switched to a far more aggressive style- one single-weild weapon. Like you, I'm pretty good with grenades (not quite on your level), so I'll sacrifice some damage-dealing potential for the insanely fast reload and clip size of the SMG.
Also, I don't really trash-talk myself, but my friends use it to keep me distracted.

I prefer Elite. I use the little helmet; it seems to help.

What's your favorite combo (and what do you call it)? I like the Auto-Combo, plasma rifle and SMG. My friends hate it. Twisted Evil

Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your friends hate your "Auto-Combo" because the Plasma Pistol drops the shields entirely (full charge I'm assuming), then the SMG mops them up by peppering them with health damaging rounds. The SMG isn't so great with shields, but does great damage on flesh.

You play an Elite? Wow, that's...that's interesting. I'd play you if I could, just to see if it was a viable option. I've never seen an Elite be the MVP of a game, never...

My favorite combos...ummm... The BR stand-alone is one of my top choices, honestly. Other than the BR stand-alone, I'll run the BR/Plasma combo if I'm looking to drop people in a quick way. If I'm goofing off I'll usually just run and gun. That is, I'll pick up whatever I'm closest to and use it until it's empty, only very rarely switching for better weapons. Keep in mind, I don't get much competition Razz

I use dual SMG, SMG/Plasma Rifle, SMG/Pistol... most of those are fun, the SMG is a great additional weapon. The Pistol got nerfed HARD for Halo 3. :\

If I'm actively hunting, almost any Human weapon combined with the Plasma Pistol is efficient. I'll use the Carbine in place of the BR quite often, as (I think) it takes around five headshots to kill someone with the Carbine. Maybe less, I'm kind of hazy on that point.

For some reason, I've never been able to aim the sniper rifle. Just the sniper rifle, I can nail people with the BR and the Carbine...just the sniper rifle fails me every time!

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about the Mag; my cousin (from here on to be called "Hunter," his H2 gamertag) and I had just gotten good with it in 2.

As for the Sniper, it's not unusual for me or Hunter to use it at close range. Treat it like a Mauler or Plasma Pistol. Don't bother with a headshot and follow up with a beatdown. I use the Sniper in conjuction with the BR. Body shot with Sniper and Headshot with BR.

My brother (to be called "Starman") is what I call a super-n00b. He fights mostly with the Assault Rifle or Shotgun, relying on rush attacks and beatdowns, hence 'n00b.' The 'super' part comes from the fact that he's really good at what he does. All 4 of us (me, Hunter, Starman, and... let's call 'im "Kel") are all trained for headshots, and ol' Starmy will empty half a clip into your head before you know he's there. His Tool of Destruction is almost always Melee. He's our local close combat expert.

My cousin changed his 'tag when he moved the H3, but we all still call him Hunter. It fits his style well, as he tends to zero in on one enemy and hunt them down. He loves traps, mindgames, and distractions. His major strategy against me is to bait me into wasting grenades, and he grew up playing Perfect Dark so jumping is second nature to him. It's incredibly annoying, the way he jumps over you. He stays just out of arms reach, hopping around you in circles. He's impossible to headshoot and difficult to stick. He's my main competition when the 4 of us play.

Kel is just Kel. Tottaly random, no real awareness, but CoD has given him incredible sniping abilities. It's impossible to predict his moves, and hillarious to watch his replays. He's also the local trash-talk master, being a huge distraction without the slightest affect to his gameplay.

TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much of a first person shooter player. I prefer rpg's but I had the best time playing slayer with a friend last week. We're both pretty bad at it and were constantly commiting suicide by accident. I think my favourite time was when we killed each other at the same time. Twice in a row.

Oh and Slayer with nothing but rocket launchers? Awesome.
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing against my cousin (Hunter) one time; his tool of destruction was "Unknown." I'd killed myself four times.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@BS ROFL, "unknown"...

@Britland: Halo is one of of those great games that, so long as nobody are jerks, can be enjoyed by any skill level. You don't have to be a master to manage a victory, you can (and I have) won with luck. Actually, one time, my winning kill was bailing out of a Banshee (flying purple thing) to get onto this upper platform, so I could try my hand at sniping (which I suck at anyway).

Turns out the Banshee fell, bounced along the building, and smeared my opponent as he was exiting the same building...giving me the final kill needed. We had previously been tied at 24-24, and that 25th kill won me the match.

Man, he was livid.

Red Skelton
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Britland: Starman's nickname is an inside joke. Hunter said something like "Fighting [my brother] is just free points, like the Starman in Mario." And we used to always say the winner was whoever found Starman the most. He's still not as good as me or Hunter, but he gives Kel a run for his money and will beatdown anybody who's not careful. Halo is all about awareness and practice.
And Rockets? I used to suck at Halo; Hunter or Kel would win every match. Except for Rockets. No one could touch me. Twisted Evil I'm still regarded as the master of explosives.

@ Tenshi: Playing on Avalance with Hunter, I hit a snowbank with my Chopper and flipped it end over end. Hunter stuck the bottom of the Copper, but it landed right-side up so I was still inside. The grenade exploded, flipping the Chopper again, this time sending it straight into Hunter, meaning he essentially splattered himself. I can't remember what it counted as.
Both me and Hunter are really streaky. If we're both on, it's insane: cross-map sticks (for both of us, at the same time), BullTrue sticks, at least a dozen Kills From the Grave. But if we're both off, you get something like I mentioned in my last post: I'm pretty sure I either won that game or lost by less than three points.
Have you played SWAT? No shields, no radar, human weapons only, starting weapon Magnum.
Grenades and BR's are the ultimate weapons. I haven't played since H2, but I can't see the Assault rifle being much of a factor.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AR can actually sneak up on you if you never anticipate it. It's got a decent beatdown, and it has as much of a spray as the SMG but with stronger rounds. Slower to reload. I've managed to score a lot of kills with the AR, if that's the only weapon I have. I wouldn't choose it over another weapon, mind you, but it's not worthless...just not better than dual SMGs Razz

No, if anything, the most worthless weapon in the game is the Plasma Rifle. Utterly useless outside of a combo with an SMG, and even then it's not as good as the Plasma Pistol/SMG combo, which is much more readily available...

On the flip side, I've gotten bored and drilled people with dual Plasma Rifles. It's almost as flashy an attack as, say, a Needler (which is still overpowered)...

Off to work now, bah.

Red Skelton
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant in the SWAT game variant.
I know all about the AR. Starman, remember? You also run faster than with the BR. I had never noticed speed differences until Hunter told me about an article he'd read. So I tested out a couple weapons. I haven't gotten around to a complete test, but one-hand weapons are the fastest. Personally, I pick AR over Shotgun about 50-50.

The Needler is only overpowered in wide spaces against a single target. It's got a crappy beatdown- horribly slow, and the tracking is useless against a fast moving opponent if your indoors. It's hard to beat in one-on-one, but the small ammo limit is a liability against multiple enemies. Also, it's useless at close range against a jumping opponent (ie: Hunter), so it doesn't get much use when my friends and I play.

I don't tottaly agree about the plasma rifle, but that's mostly my *cough* Elitism.

It's the worst pun in the world! Do I win a prize?

No, really. Playing against Hunter has destroyed my faith in the Plasma Pistol. Stupid jumping.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lied, I haven't left for work (though now I'll be late...bah).

Plasma Pistol is good in two situations: Up close (use instead of melee, then back away fast while firing) or at long range when they don't know where you are.

I prefer the BR or Carbine over the Plasma Pistol, m'self. I don't have a lot of luck with it either, but when it hits it is really powerful...

Red Skelton
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of Melee!? No! Hit with it and then melee! Instant kill.

I see your problem: you're think of the PP as an actual weapon. Silly Tenshi! The Plasma Pistol has only two uses: dropping shields and stalling vehicles. Actually killing someone with the Plasma Pistol is a feat not worth attempting.
I've learned a lot from Hunter, but all of us learned one very importand thing from Starman: shooting is only the prequel to the beatdown. We all have the timing nearly perfect; often fights end with both opponents scoring beatdowns.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: