FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Writer's Group 3: Symbiosis and Unity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I own the all of them. It's like, compact into three books in the same...yeah...
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
theBSDude

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, page 3. I'm thinking about ending it here; there's more to the story, but it's not as much about the relationship between Jac and Aven, and that relationship is the one that best fits the theme. Not sure about the end, though...

___Aven was standing up to join Jac in unpacking the food when the young elf leaned into the room, a strange expression on her face.

___“Y’ hear anythin’ from Nat while I was gone?”

___Aven was surprised. In the months he’d been gone, Jac had never brought Nathan up in conversation; it was just too hard to talk about him without speculating whether he was coming back. “No, I haven’t. The cell phone’s off.”

___Jac’s expression flickered for a second. “Oh yeah, uh… duh. Sorry.”

___Aven’s brows furrowed. “Why? D’you hear something?”

___“No.” Jac’s answer came quickly. “I, ah, jus’ wondered.”

___Aven sniffed suspiciously, leaning slightly toward her smaller friend.

___Jac stiffened and the room got suddenly colder.

___“What are you hiding, Jac?” Aven asked, her voice softer, concern building in her eyes. She walked toward Jac but stopped as the air became too cold.

___Jac relaxed and the field of negative heat retreated inside her small body. She sat down on the floor, leaning against the doorframe.

___Aven put her arm around the small girl’s shoulder, ignoring the cold that bit her skin. “You okay?”

___“Sure.”

___Aven smiled. “Orcs are the only humans that can lie, Jac; your hormones are going crazy. Did you meet someone outside?”

___“…No.”

___Aven’s smile wilted. “It’s Mel,” she whispered, not even pretending to ask.

___“He’s my friend, Av. He’d never hurt anybody, and he’s dying.”

___Aven swallowed, not wanting to be the one to shatter Jac’s view of Mel. “Jac… while you’re gone, all he does is scratch and pound on the door.”

___“I know that, Aven,” Jac hissed, “I’m not stupid; I saw the prints.”

___“Well then—.”

___“He knows the PIN, Av.”

___Aven pulled away from Jac, her expression was one of shock, betrayal, even. “You told him?”

___“No! God, I migh’ be human, but that doesn’t mean I’m incompetent! He’s seen us both type it in a hundred times. He never tried ta figure it out, but he’s too smart not to.”

___“How do you know?”

___“He told me, Av. He tried to get me ta change it.”

___“But you didn’t.”

___“…No.”

___“He might be sane now, Jac, but that can’t last much longer.”

___To Aven’s surprise, Jac smiled. “He’s good for a month ‘r two.”

___“You gave him something.” Again, Aven did not bother with a question.

___“Does it matter?”

___“No. You’re the one who got the food in the first place. I can’t tell you what to do with it.”

___“So if you were the one getting supplies, you’d jus’ let ‘im starve?” Jac asked accusingly.

___“Honestly? I’m glad I don’t have to choose.”

___Jac opened her mouth to continue the argument, but stopped, staring at Aven’s arm.

___“What?”

___Jac pointed.

___Aven glanced down, and swore. The inside of her right arm, the arm she’d used when she had comforted Jac, was blackened with frostbite. Jac’s frustration had grown slowly, and Aven hadn’t even noticed the life being absorbed from her arm.

___“I’m so sorry, Av; I’m jus’ hungry.”

___Aven ground her teeth in pain, the feeling was returning to her arm as her nanites replaced the dead cells with a fresh stock. “You should eat, then. Sorry, that was- Er!- supposed to joke. At least there’s no lasting damage.”

___Aven’s attempts at humor, though rather pathetic, put Jac at ease. “Glad you’re a droid, today, huh?”

___Aven grunted. “I’m gonna have to eat, though, and not a little either. These are deep.” She paused as she noticed Jac’s expression slipping back to guilt, and tried again to lighten the mood. “You have serious issues, Jac.”

___Jac smiled. “I’ll get ya some turkey.”

___Both knew the conflict was not resolved, but they were glad the hostility had ended.

I mention a lot of things here but don't explain any of them. Here's everything that's really important about the world of this story.
Elves and Orcs are genetically enhanced humans. Nanites are nanobots that basically serve as white bloodcells for androids and genetically enhanced humans; elves also use them to produce magic. Androids can heal almost any wound, as long as their brain and spine are mostly intact, but they need to eat to get raw materials. Androids are near-perfect replications of humans, with basic physical and mental upgrades. They are capable of reproduction, both among themselve and with humans; cyborgs (aka Half-droids) are fairly common. Magic is an as-yet undiscovered form of energy that occures naturally in plants, animals, and many chemicals.
You can probably figure out most of the rest, but let me know if there's something confusing.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
JackAce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as Lee-Ann saw the roadside inn ahead, she disengaged the transmission and switched off the engine. No need to waste valuable fuel, especially when the route was all down-hill from here. Silently the bike rolled along the road towards the lonely building which promised food and rest for the approaching night.

As she cut a line diagonally across the parking lot, Lee-Ann noticed the poor condition of the cars parked in front of the inn. It never ceased to amaze her how people could let their vehicles deteriorate like that. Some of the cars seemed to be made up on more rust than real metal.

She brought the bike to a halt next to the fuel pump, dismounted and strode over to the water drum standing next to the inn house. With a quick glance she found that there was actually water in there. As she returned to her bike, a young man wearing a stained blue coverall emerged from the house.

"Howdy. Canna help ya somehow?"

"What kind of juice you got in there" Lee-Ann demanded, indicating the fuel pump.

"97% pure grain alcohol," the attendant informed her.

Hmm... Booze, Lee-Ann thought, not my first choice of go-juice, but it'll have to do if I wanna get to Acid Springs tomorrow.
"Okay, I need a bucket full of your water and as much fuel as these will buy." As she spoke she handed the attendant a couple of small bright green crystals, which he took and held up against the sun to test their purity.

"Awright," he finally declared, "wait 'ere a sec." He disappeared into the house and returned a few seconds later bringing a tin bucket. " 'ere. Ah figure ya awready know where de drum is."

"Yeah, thanks." Lee-Ann went over to the rain drum again to fetch her water while the fuelling clerk started filing her bike up with his brew. When he had finished, Lee-Ann gently knocked on the bike's tank until she got a hollow sound. The tank was now about two thirds full; enough to get her to Acid Springs with some to spare.

"So, let's get you cleaned up now…" After rummaging about in one of her saddle bags, she produced a small piece of cloth, an old toothbrush and a small metal bottle. She soaked the cloth in the water and started wiping down all of the bike's metal surfaces. With every pass of the cloth, a portion of the hull and frame was freed from the layer of dust and soot that had accumulated there in the course of today's journey. In the places she couldn't reach with the cloth, she used the brush instead to scrub off the dirt stuck in the corners.

The hot afternoon sun kept beating down on her as she proceeded to clean her bike. Sweat was running down her body in thick drops, but Lee-Ann didn't mind; in fact, she welcomed it. The flowing sweat would wash the grit off her body almost as efficiently as the wet cloth did with her bike.

She took off her shirt and hung it over the handlebar to prevent it from soaking through. She was aware that most of the inn's patrons were probably watching her, but she didn't mind that either. She had nothing to show that the wenches serving in there didn't have – and if this place was like the others of its kind that she had come to know, then a good number of the patrons got to enjoy the sight of the wenches' goods quite regularly…

When she was satisfied with the cleanliness of her ride, she opened the small bottle and applied small amounts of the liquid contained therein to the various exposed moving parts. She was careful to use just enough, and not waste any of it – Gasoline could be replaced by various alternative fuels, but good oil was hard to get these days.

And speaking of alternate fuels, she'd have to remember to give the engine a complete overhaul once she got to Acid Springs. Most of those ersatz-fuels tended to leave rather nasty deposits in the cylinders and tubing.

She stowed away her cleaning tools again, and pulled out a larger towel. She used that to wipe the sweat off her torso, the grit that had previously accumulated there leaving dark stains on the cloth. Lee-Ann grimaced. Well, Acid Springs was supposed to have a stable water supply. She'd be able to get some laundry done there. And a good bath, too.

After she had put on her shirt again, she grabbed the bike by the handles and pushed it into one of the parking slots closer to the building, facing towards the road. She then pulled a sheet of cardboard from the saddle bag and positioned it on the bike's saddle. It was a sign she had made a while ago. On both sides of the sheet she had written in large letters:

"YOU TOUCH, YOU DIE !!!"

It wasn't a hollow threat either. She had, on occasion, been forced to go though with it in the past.

Finally she turned away from her ride and headed for the inn's door.

"Is this seat taken?"

Lee-Ann approached the table near the front window, holding a mug of beer in one hand and a plate of fried… meat and potatoes. (She had given up asking what kind of meat these joints served long ago.)

"Huh? Oh! Nah, sure, 'ave a seat," the man sitting on the opposite side of the table invited her. "Tha's quite de show you been givin' us out dere."

"What, you mean this?" Lee-Ann pointed at her shirt, which she hadn't bothered to button up again before she entered the inn.

"Nah! … Or, well, that too, Ah guess…" An amused grin spread over the man's face. "But what Ah really meant was, Ah aint never seen any'un spend so much time on 'is vehicle, afore even cummin' in for a drink!"

"Yeah, well, judging by those heaps of junk standing out there on the parking lot, that doesn't really surprise me… But for me, too much depends on my bike being in good condition. I take care of my ride, so that when the going gets rough, it can take care of me."

Lee-Ann smiled innerly as she proceeded to consume her dinner. This guy was actually quite cute – perhaps she'd yet get to have some fun tonight…

The meal was followed by several more jugs of beer – a pitifully weak brew, but that was OK with Lee-Ann; she wasn't planning on getting drunk tonight anyway. By now she had learned that the name of her table mate was Hugh, and so far she liked the way their conversation was going. She felt quite confident that this would be one night she would not have to spend alone.

Presently she was aware of Hugh saying something to her, but she wasn't listening. Her attention was drawn towards the big window, and the view of the parking lot it presented her with.

"…Um, would you excuse me for a moment please, I'll be right back."

Lee-Ann jumped out of her seat and headed for the exit. As she was moving, her hand dropped to her gun holster and undid the thumb break.

"Yo! You better get away from my bike, mister!" Lee-Ann called out as she passed through the inn's door, her palm resting on the grip of her revolver.

The man her words were directed at slowly turned around to face her, a wide but not quite friendly smile spreading over his face when he caught sight of Lee-Ann.

"That yer hog? Pretty machine ya got there, an' as it seems, 'ts a pretty lady ridin' it, too!"

"Thanks, but I don't appreciate people nosing around my bike, so please step away"

The smile vanished from the man's face. "An' Ah dun' appreciate folks tellin' me what ta do, even if they're pretty gals…"

Lee-Ann's hand tightened around the grip of her gun. "Can you read?" she asked nodding towards the sign she had posted on the bike before. "That's no joke!"

"Aw, c'mon! Yer ain't really gonna shoot a fella over a lousy bike, would'cha?"

"Are you willing to find out the hard way?"

By now a small crowd had gathered at the door behind Lee-Ann. Slowly, she started moving to the side, away from the door. Any number of those people could be this guy's friends, and if this situation did turn violent, she wouldn't want to have them in her rear. Apparently, the guy in front of her had just come to a similar conclusion, and it gave him an extra boost to his confidence. With a bold expression he took a step towards Lee-Ann, his hand moving towards his back.

"Now lissen, honey! Ya dun' seem ta know who yer talkin' to. I'm —"

"Quite frankly, I don't give a rotten damn who you are, as long as you leave my bike alone"

That did it for the man. His face filed with rage, he sprang forward towards Lee-Ann. Two steps was as far as he got before Lee-Ann's bullet caught him in the chest. The knife he had drawn from the sheath strapped on his back under his vest clattered to the ground a second before his big body keeled over and lay motionless at Lee-Ann's feet. A pool of red spread out from under him.

The shock on the bystanders' faces was replaced by anger almost immediately.

"She shot Big Bill!" someone exclaimed, "Killed 'im dead, jus' like dat!"

Lee-Ann scanned the crowd. A pang of sadness ran through her as she recognized Hugh's face among them. What a pity. She turned towards he angry villagers, gun still in hand, but careful not to point it at any of them. Yet.

"Listen, folks! I didn't mean for it to happen like this! All he had to do was leave my bike alone, and we could've had a drink together at the bar…"

This didn't seem to make much of an impression on the crowd, though.

"All I came here for was something to eat, a place to stay for the night, —" She looked at Hugh one more time, "— and perhaps some pleasant company… But now it looks like that's not going to happen, doesn't it?"

Lee-Ann raised the gun to cover the general area occupied by the crowd to make sure none of them got any stupid ideas.

"So, I guess I'll just have to get back on my bike and get out of here."

She slowly paced over to the bike, keeping the gun trained on the crowd as she swung herself into the saddle and fumbled the key into the ignition. The engine started up with a deafening roar. As soon as Lee-Ann had holstered her gun and turned her face away from the mob, she could hear them running to stop her, but with a twist of the gas handle, she accelerated out of their reach.

As she swung into the road beyond the parking lot, Lee-Ann could here the clanging of car doors, followed by the sickening whine of engines that took way too long to start and the occasional bangs of misfiring pistons. By the time the first car left the parking lot in pursuit Lee-Ann already had a half mile head start. Those yokels would never catch up with her in those heaps of junk they were driving.

A smile spread over Lee-Ann's face as she patted the side of her bike's tank, similar to how one would pat a horse on the neck. Looks like I'm gonna get to Acid Springs sooner than planned...

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
theBSDude

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, Lope. If there's more, I'd love to read it.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
JackAce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps in my next WG...

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One week until the due date! Once I have some more time tonight I'm going to go back through the thread and hotlink the first post (first page) to individual works.

It'll end up looking something like...

Players:
#1 Name [1] [2] [3] [4] ...
#2 Name [1] [2] [3] ...
#3 Name <need entry>

...and so on. That isn't reflecting our current list, even if it does coincide or if it doesn't. Truth be told I didn't even look at our current list first... so Razz

Ah, so busy..

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, just to remind everybody, the end date is fast approaching! I need submissions from spegg, Smurf, and Rav still (unless I've missed them). I'll drop them PM notices tonight, as well as hyperlinking the first page of this thread so that you can quick-travel to the individual posts containing entries.

Now that I've figured out how to do that...

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love you 'Shi.

I'm afraid I might have writers block.
And I'm terribly angry and bitter at two people, and I can think without one of them poping in my head, so...
yes this has been going on for two weeks...
maybe I hold grudges too long....
nah...

I'll try it, though...
[/url]
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting shortening of my name... reminds me of my old moniker, actually, "shinotenshi". Anyone who can translate that one will understand (probably) why I dropped "shino"...

Spegg! I believe in you! Very Happy

Red Skelton
Ravenna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who could translate the afore-mentioned "shino", there are a couple of things I can come up with actually.

As for my entry, I'll probably edit this post and stick it in here if no-one else posts by the time it's done. Very Happy I feel kind of silly for not thinking of post-apocalypta before, but since now others have done it, I went with a more ambiguous setting.

EDIT:@ Spawn. I was a little stuck at first and I asked a friend for a prompt word. Would you like us to throw some at you, to get you started?

EDIT 2: So here's my entry. I hope you guys like. Very Happy

Quote:
Moon-Wing huddled down and pulled the camo-blanket closer about her shoulders. She perched on the edge of a small hill, waiting. The snow-fall had slowly been getting heavier and heavier for the last couple of hours, and it would be difficult to track their target if the weather got any worse. At her side, a patient Old English sheepdog rather contentedly but alert.

Not that Moon-Wing was her given name. It was a codename; the real one didn’t exactly matter anymore. All that mattered was the mission and getting things done.

“Moon-Wing? Moon-Wing, come in. Have you and Ratty sighted the target yet? I’m getting fed up of waiting here – I swear, can’t even feel my face anymore.”

Moon-Wing reached inside her jacket for her radio, smiling.

“Not exactly a great loss to us all, Silver Owl.”

“You are charming… Your partner is holding up I take it?”

Moon-Wing ruffled Ratty’s ears, and the dog let loose a great doggy yawn. He didn’t like waiting for their target either.

“Yeah, Ratty’s good, probably just thinking about chasing bunnies and…”

As a small convoy of trucks came into sight at the belly of the valley, Moon-Wing’s voice trailed off. Better late than never, she thought.

“Chatter time is over, big guy. Ratty and I are moving in now,” she hissed into the radio before replacing it inside her jacket.

Throwing off her blanket, Moon-Wing took up the rifle at her side and took off down the side of the valley, Ratty following closely at her heels. Moon-Wing darted through the trees in a zigzag, taking care with her steps not to tumble over herself. As she reached the line of small trees and shrubbery that ran along the roadside, she quickly knelt and brought up her rifle.

There was still a little bit of time before the convoy was within sights. Hopefully, Silver Owl and the others were setting up their positions along the road. There was time, they could do this and they could do this right. They could take this target easily and get paid for once, and…

“Dissident; drop your weapon and kneel with your hands on top of your head. I have a clear shot of your head. Do not make me take it,” a low voice announced from behind her.

How could they have known? Had someone double-crossed them? Or had communications just been sloppy? And where the heck had Ratty gotten to?

Moon-Wing hissed and slowly put the rifle down on the forest floor, before continuing with the unseen voice’s instructions. The ground here was only lightly dusted with snow, but it was still fairly cold and not a comfortable place to kneel. The truck convoy was still out of sight, but she could hear a vague rumbling in the distance. They were definitely getting closer.

“Good. You may actually last beyond tonight if you carry on like this. Now, we had reports of a group and you are only one. Where are they?” the voice demanded – Moon-Wing could hear them shift, their stance must have changed. She could only make out the vaguest shadow from the moonlight escaping through the trees.

“I’m never alone. I’m a legion,” she replied.

“Very cute. Now, where are the rest of the dissidents?”

“And I already told you – I’m never-“

Moon-wing was cut off, when the voice from behind her cried out and swore loudly, and a body crashed to the floor. There was a low, canine growl and she heard metal clatter, and felt something bounce against the soles of her boots.

Scrambling to her feet once more, she snatched up both her own rifle and the weapon that her attacker had lost – a smaller gun but military issue – and spun around to survey the situation.

Ratty had ambushed her attacker, a soldier who must have been part of an extra security detail. The dog must have jumped not quite from behind, but now had the soldier lying on his back. There was blood on the forest floor and the soldier cradled his arm to his chest – it appeared to be useless now. She was extremely lucky that his weapon hadn’t misfired in the altercation. Ratty continued to growl and bare fangs at the soldier, while the soldier simply stared up at Moon-Wing as she pointed the gun directly at his head.

“You will not get away with this, dissident,” the soldier muttered, his voice now beginning to waver. He began to shuffle on his elbows backwards towards a tree. Did he think a tree would save him at this point? “That convoy is heavily guarded. You and your pet… do you honestly think that just the two of you are any kind of match for us?”

Moon-Wing cocked back the gun’s hammer, almost casually. Ratty continued to growl at the soldier, hackles raised.

“We were more than enough for you. And we are never alone. We’re a legion,” she replied coldly.

The rumbling of the convoy got slowly louder; it was getting close to time. The little military issue gun barked, disturbing a murder of crows in some nearby trees, and the soldier slumped over. Moon-Wing exhaled, her gun hand shaking as she lowered it once more. Their unforeseen target dealt with, Ratty whined and nuzzled at her free hand. She smiled and knelt down on one knee, putting the gun down and scratching Ratty behind his ears.

“Moon-Wing! We heard a shot, and it looks like the convoy did too! We could have unexpected company out here tonight… The convoy has stopped and is fanning out, so it looks like we’re going with Plan B again. We’ll see you at the point.”

“Understood, I’m getting into position now,” she replied, fumbling with the radio as she disposed of the soldier’s gun.

Picking up pace, and Ratty following at her heels, Moon-Wing began to race towards the Plan B meeting point. She could hear shouts in the distance and the convoy’s rumble had ceased. The soldiers must have heard the shot and knew someone was out there, waiting for them.

But it would be okay, because she wasn’t alone. She was never alone. She was part of a legion.

Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy and I'm suffering from a big writer's block. I cant seem to write anything. D:

I dont think there'll be any entry from me. Sorry. Sad
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, Rav. Why not for me and 'Mirf, here?
The worst thta could happen is thta I still can't write.....CUASE OF DUMB, DUMB POO-POO HEADS!
[/url]
Ravenna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M'kay then... I'l throw in:

- Gangs
- Clans
- Desperation
- On the Edge
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would two more days (until the 14th) help you guys out? If so, I'll extend the deadline until then, but no later. I'm leaving for Morgantown (college) on the 15th, and will be almost 100% busy until Monday evening, give or take.

Red Skelton
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that would be a great help!
And thanks, Rav, for the wordies!
[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: