FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

New (Or improved) Art Style?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: New (Or improved) Art Style? Reply with quote

Maybe it's because I just caught up from where I left off quite some time ago, and all I had in the meantime was the physical copy of Volume I, but it seems like your art style has changed a great deal since I last watched the Earthsong page like a hawk, Lady.

At first it sort of put me off, the added details made the characters seem much more strange at first, though I could not tell why. Once I got to thinking about it, and looking at the pages more thoroughly, I realized it... they look much more real now than they did before. There is much less "cartoony" appearance, and a more "colorful cel-shaded picture of reality" feel to it now, at least to me.

I am definitely digging this new art form of yours, please keep up the extraordinary work. Hopefully enough people will purchase Volume I so that I can purchase Volume II, because the pages truly come to life much more on paper than they do on my computer screen.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asenath83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one thing I like about webcomics, seeing the style of the artist evolve and improve bit by bit.
For example, check the first pages of Zap in Space and then compare the current ones to them. You probably won't even really notice any changes as a regular visitor but in direct comparison, the improvement is impressive.

Keeper of Zaebos' glasses.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad it's not off-putting in the end Wink I'm a lot happier with where my art is these days, though I'm sure I'll hate it come a year or so - lol... 'tis the curse of an artist to hate your own art.

Thanks!
Tomato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? And I thought it was just myself and Van Gogh who did that XD

(EDIT: I'm not trying to draw any comparisons between myself and the lady and van gogh with this statement, other than that we all seem to hate our arts. Yay.)
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Asenath: Yes, Zap in Space is another comic with a DRASTIC change over time. The difference between the first page and the current page is mindboggling, it's hard to believe the same artist drew them both. Another comic with similar drastic art changes is Sluggy Freelance, if anyone's read that one.

@LadyYates: It's actually very beautiful now! I think that the characters are much more able to convey emotions, and some of the striking facial expressions have actually caught my breath for a moment (granted, all Nanashi). Facial expressions are incredibly difficult for me to grasp in any medium, I envy you! I also wonder, how many copies of Vol I do I have to buy for them to print Vol II? lol

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asenath83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyYates wrote:
I'm a lot happier with where my art is these days, though I'm sure I'll hate it come a year or so - lol... 'tis the curse of an artist to hate your own art.

I think you are right with that, we all cringe at what we created a while ago while we should actually be proud of what we have learned on the way. It would be far more frustrating to see no progress at all, wouldn't it?

Tenshi wrote:
Yes, Zap in Space is another comic with a DRASTIC change over time.

The comforting bit: The first pages of ZAP! are 4 1/2 years old and there are quite a few pages between the first anf the last. That just proves that nothing but practice and dedication can do the trick.

Tenshi wrote:
t's actually very beautiful now! I think that the characters are much more able to convey emotions, and some of the striking facial expressions have actually caught my breath for a moment

OK I am spending ths post agreeing with everyone, how boring.

Keeper of Zaebos' glasses.
sythiar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I was of those who didn't like the change in the art style at first. Mostly because I thought that it was more inconsistent than the old one. But I got used to it. I now think that both have got their good sides and actually prefer some of the character portrayals to the older style. Especially with Nanashi and Tristram.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sythiar wrote:
I must admit that I was of those who didn't like the change in the art style at first. Mostly because I thought that it was more inconsistent than the old one. But I got used to it. I now think that both have got their good sides and actually prefer some of the character portrayals to the older style. Especially with Nanashi and Tristram.

I agree, those characters most definitely have leapt from the pages since the change in style. Nanashi comes across much more accurately to her description (incredibly passionate, but very controlled and strong willed). Tristram I cannot begin to love enough compared to the old version. While Vampy McEmoPants was one of my favorite characters, I absolutely adore how you can not only see the text dripping with sarcasm, but his facial expressions mimic the same.

...oh, my, I do believe I've gone off topic. Lovely change in style, I like it more every comic I read, I do believe. Smile

Red Skelton
Hilaryho

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The change in style is a definite improvement Lady, I just look at the folds in Willow's dress on every page and think 'wow'.
The only teeny criticism is that Willow's hair seems to lack the volume and general prettiness it did at the beginning of 'the journal'...Perhaps its just the length and the fact that her hair is wavy and rather heavy, but think it's due to the greyer highlights in her hair making it look a bit greasy. Her eyelashes seem to have gotten shorter also.
You can tell i'm really superficial complaining about a character not being as pretty as she used to. Laughing
Seriously though, I love the new colouring and definitely, definitely love the improvements made to the other characters designs (Tristram. Wow.) I think of your old artwork and developments you've made are outstanding. I'm so jealous!
RoseBlood

Location: Gallifrey. . . (Before the Time Wars. Duh- I time- traveled to get here.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it actually looks as if your characters have grown up a few years since Volume I....

Willow and Nanashi specifically.

I like it.
'I want you, bleeders......'
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asenath83 wrote:
That's one thing I like about webcomics, seeing the style of the artist evolve and improve bit by bit.
For example, check the first pages of Zap in Space and then compare the current ones to them. You probably won't even really notice any changes as a regular visitor but in direct comparison, the improvement is impressive.

Dan and Mab's Furry Adventure is another like that.

Issue 1
Issue 918
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
sylph_14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the style Very Happy It's a lovely style for the comic, but it also has a story-book illustration feel to it, which I think is a nice mix.
Shiru04

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I noticed about the new style? Willow's eyes. They've always been big and sparkly, which made me see Willow as an overly innocent character.

The smaller eyes work a lot better for the current "I'm extremely agitated at my situation" Willow.
Fenomena

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the variation between the characters faces :3 It's often hard to make characters look unique, but in Earthsong, everyone stands out as an individual

I get the feeling that this post is a huge grammar/expression FAIL

Keeper of K'Thonya's feet <3

*If I recall that right. Which is highly questionable.
Lady Dea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a sort of two year pause since the past time I read the comic, and last night when I reread it I was pleasantly surprised. I really like this new style, it seems so much more fluid to me. I especially love the pouty-lips.

Edit: Whoops, I so totally didn't notice the last reply was in August. What's the necromancy policies here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: