FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Anime/Manga thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Nem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So been watching Baccano. Group of alchemists, immortality, gangsters, 1930s. Fairly good, starts a bit slowly. Lots of bloody bits so if you're really young it might be best to steer clear.

That said it's on youtube:

Baccano

Full length episodes through the funmation channel, (the people who licensed it IIRC,) I see nothing to suggest this isn't legitimate so...

Enjoy Smile
- Issa
Miho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love love love love love love it nem.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, Baccano. Great little gem of a show. Totally bizarre, but Squee's kind of bizarre Smile
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been watching Seirei no Moribito. Reminds me a lot of Sword of The Stranger, which I enjoyed a lot. Fight scenes are fairly simple, nothing an incredibly fit person would have trouble doing. Not a whole lot of jumping around screaming out attack names ^_~

Meat of the story's in the characters. Arts okay; some nice scenes. Bit of political intrigue.

Check it out.

Or not, ya' know. =p
- Issa
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good god, has it really been two years? Shocked

Anyway. I've been watching Sora no Woto.

Left to right: Kanata, Rio, Felicia (Not pictured - Noel, Kureha)

A good moe show. Who'd have thunk it.... Felicia is definitely my favourite character in this one.

#

When this first came out, some people compared it to Haibane Renmie - and in terms of some of the devices and overarching narrative structure I can see why. (Series separated into a less serious part and a more serious part - girls in a school building.) However, the focuses of the stories are very different. Haibane Renmie is separated into two (arguably three) rather sharp moods. The first one is the experience of the world through wondering young eyes. The second heads into some rather delicious drama exploring the concept of sin and redemption.

Sora no Woto, while it does get heavier towards the end, doesn't have that first part of exploring the world. At least not quite so directly. The world is fleshed out primarily through implication. For example, literacy in kanji is rare - which is especially interesting because the Helvetian language seems to be a mix of French and Japanese. It's nice to have a show that doesn't lay it all on the line for you in exposition chunks, even if it does leave you wondering a little. Instead the first episodes are more about exploring the characters.

I suppose comparisons to K-On! on the character front are also inevitable. Indeed a rather uncharitable way of watching this would be to call the first few episodes K-On! joins the army. I did not like K-On!, the characters were one-dimensional and certain aspects of their motivations were fairly repugnant to me. Even in the first few episodes the characters on display here are much more rounded and sympathetic.

It has a much greater underlying plot than K-On! too, less episodic. The characters and the world are quite well interwoven here.

Another way to look at it would be as a healing anime - to which I say 'fneh!' Not everything that has decent people in it is about healing, just as not everything about relationships and characters is about growing up in the Japanese school system. I suppose if you were characterising HR and sin and redemption you might characterise the general themes at play here as acceptance. But there's a limit to how pretentious I'm prepared to be.

The ending - which I probably shouldn't write too much about at the risk of spoiling the experience: some people did not like it because of some logical problems. I loved it. Without giving too much away, the ending was about the people and the world - rather than the nit-picky details. A lot of people are going to conceive it as a cop out if they're not paying attention to symbolism and world building, or even if they value logic more highly than those things. In a way it reminds me of Madoka's ending.

The greatest flaw in the show, for me, is not the ending but the protagonist. As an element of innocence, thematically, she has to be there to enable other characters growth. But as an element of innocence she's misplaced. Madoka got around this with its super secret plot trick - allowing an element of innocence to persist. But here it doesn't ring true - the worst episodes are when the focus moves almost entirely to her character leaving us to question - given that it doesn't add anything to the development of more interesting characters - quite why it's there, what role it's meant to serve. Those episodes could have been better spent fleshing out the ending - and ultimately serve, I think, to keep this show from true greatness.

Overall I think the reactions to this show fell into groups of people who thought it was okay and let down by the last third or so and groups of people who absolutely loved it. I fit into the second group. Not quite on a par with Bebop or the like - tends more to the pavlovian reward structure than Bebop's drama-driven characterisations - but if you've got some free time to burn and are in the mood for something in the line of softer shows it's well worth watching a few episodes.
- Issa
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem to be that much out this season. However, Kamisama snapple is a surprisingly enjoyable little romantic comedy. At least if you're into that kind of thing.
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: