FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Summer Movies
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Summer Movies Reply with quote

I'm pretty excited about this summer's crop of movies, so I thought I'd start a thread where were can discuss our hopeful new favourites.

I just saw Iron Man last night - it was pretty darn good I thought, ESPECIALLY for a comic book movie. Don't get me wrong, you know I love da comics, but Hollywood has a problem with turning them into GOOD movies. My one and only complaint about IronMan, and I usually never say this, is that it needed a wee bit more action. More IronMan action to be specific. I wanted to see that suit blowing more things up with spiffy gadgety missiles. Still... a good movie.

I am, alas, looking less and less forward to the new Batman. There was a trailer for it before Ironman yesterday and it seemed to confirm what I thought before: Heath Ledger is an awful Joker. He's not maniacal at all. There's no psychopathic charm. He's just a thug with a scarred face and messy makeup. Meh. I will of course go to see it... but I don't think I'll like it as much as Batman Begins.

Also, Indiana Jones!!! So excited for that one - I'll probably wait until next week to see it though. Also, the Get Smart movie... oh, I have such high hopes, Steve Carrell is the perfect replacement for Maxwell Smart. I loved that tv show. Don't let me down! *sniffle*

I will spend altogether too much money in the theatres this summer I'm sure.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Ironman, especially the parts where he was flying, it could have done with more flying.

I don't get the infatutation with Batman Begins, to be honest, I thought it was awful. I saw it so long ago though that I can't remember why I disliked it so much. I actually haven't seen a single advert for the new Batman movie so I still have some hope for it but I can imagine the Joker is a hard character to portray.
Maeniel

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan Fraser's in SO many movies this summer--I was really surprised! It was like every other preview before Prince Caspian was about him...

I'm really looking forward to the new Mummy. It looks REALLY cool, and it's such a departure from the prior two. I'm also looking forward to the new Journey to the Center of the Earth--REALLY cool! Very Happy
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somehow doubt that we've seen the best bits of heath ledger's joker. I have confidence that he'll be VERY good.

I enjoyed Iron Man. From a comic geek's PoV i absolutely LOVED it. It had al the continuity nods and sequel hooks i was expecting, and it was very good fun. Did anyone stay til after the credits...? NICK FURY and the AVENGERS!!! But to be completely objective, it was a little plot-light. Still great fun, though, and i can see sequels improving, as with Spidey 2 and X2 - the initial movie of any comic series is always going to be a bit slow, since it has to establish the origins and introduce the characters. The second ones tend to be a bit more interesting, as they don't have to spend the first hour without much action...

I'd be interested to see who they pick for the next villain, though...

I'll be seeing the Indy movie soon. looks interesting =D

And the Incredible Hulk =D Though i'm not too sure about what they've done with the Abomination...
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw the trailer for the incredible hulk and was all "buh? They're doing another one? Didn't they tank on the first?" I never even saw the first one it looked so bad, but with this "sequel" it looks like they're pretending the first doesn't exist. Explaining the origins, etc all over again. Plus new actor - Edward Norton = love. But as the Hulk? I dunno.

I haven't seen a trailer for the new Mummy yet. First one awesome. Second one... was alright. Plot holes a plenty. So hopefully this third one (Scorpion King does NOT count as one) will pick back up at the goodness.

How was Prince Caspian? I'd like to see it.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comic books aren't my forté, but aren't the Hulk and the Incredible Hulk two completely different things? Kinda?

I can't wait for Indiana Jones either. My sister's Ford Explorer is named Harrison, so we'll be driving him to the movie - if he's not dead by then that is.

I'm looking forward to Prince Caspian, though I've heard they tampered with it (the most noticeable being a love story between Caspian and Susan. Boy, is THAT going to be awkward come Voyage of the Dawn Treader.), but I'm still excited. Reepicheep is one of my favorite characters. X3
PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prince Caspian is amazing. It really stood well on its own as a fantasy film, as oppossed to trying to be the poor-man's version of LOTR that the first movie was. Combat and battle scenes were actually very innovative and interesting to watch. And wow, the griffens were awesome.

EDIT: Oh gawd, Reepicheep was one of the best parts of that movie. I am blown away by the fact that Disney was able to do a movie with talking animals that was NOT cute, but actually kind of gritty and serious.

Iron Man also blew me away. I walked out of that theatre with feelings for Robert Downy Jr that I didn't know were possible. (And I think my boyfriend felt the same way.) I agree with LY that there wasn't nearly enough action. Honestly, if the rest of the fight scenes had taken place in Afghanistan, I would have been happy. A superhero movie doesn't necessarily always need a big superpowered bad guy.

Also, I have to politely disagree with Heath not being an awesome joker. He gives me goosebumps.
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've yet to see Iron Man; however, I would love to see it. It's just that I haven't been going to movies in general lately. I wasn't even aware they were coming out with another Batman yet. I'm excited. I'll be working a lot more this Summer, so I should have much more extra spending cash than normal.
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
horsin'around

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, so Prince Caspian is so good? I really want to see it. I agree with what's been said on Iron Man. As far as comic-to-movie movies go, I thought it was pretty sweet.

Indy = heart

Can't wait to see how that movie turns out. (though one of my friends remarked that Harrison Ford should like, be on an IV. Surprised )

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP Wrote:
Quote:

Oh gawd, Reepicheep was one of the best parts of that movie. I am blown away by the fact that Disney was able to do a movie with talking animals that was NOT cute, but actually kind of gritty and serious.

Reepicheep was the badger yes? Interesting tidbit. The design for the badger was based on a stuffed badger in England. Link
PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, he's the rat. Although the badger is very cute. Smile
Ravenna

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Downey Jnr is just plain awesome at the moment - he's a pretty good Tony Stark. Though I think the sequels are going to bring in the Avengers, which means things could get pretty crazy from here on in.

As regards the Dark Knight - from what I've heard and seen, they're going back to the 80s Uber-Moody Batman. There's never been one set template for the Joker, and Heath Ledger's portrayal seems to be taking from Frank Miller's Dark Knight* series and Alan Moore's works.

At the moment, the movie for me is Lost Boys 2: The Tribe. I've seen the advert and the interview with Corey Feldman, and it's either going to be very good or very insane.

I'm also eager to see...
- The Last Princess
- The Spirit
- Hellboy II
- Pride and Glory (moody scary drama)
- Wanted
- American Teen
- Speed Racer
- The Incredible Hulk
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBritishInvasion wrote:
PCP Wrote:
Quote:

Oh gawd, Reepicheep was one of the best parts of that movie. I am blown away by the fact that Disney was able to do a movie with talking animals that was NOT cute, but actually kind of gritty and serious.

Reepicheep was the badger yes? Interesting tidbit. The design for the badger was based on a stuffed badger in England. Link

No, the badger is Trufflehunter. ^^ Reepicheep's actually a mouse. X3

I heard they put Wimbleweather the giant in this one, he was actually supposed to go in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. He was one of the statues. I liked him as a random side character. I've no idea why I keep track of these things. . .XD
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer movie I have absolutly no interest in: Sex and the City.

Didn't that end years ago? Why are they making a movie?
Shiru04

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my taste for movie-going after enduring a really crappy job at a movie theater. It doesn't help that the theater I worked at, which is infamous for how poorly it treats its employees, is the only one within a reasonable distance from my house.

I was tempted to go see Speed Racer. I guess I'm stuck waiting for the DVD release.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: