FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

help me care for the orphaned raccoons!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

RoseBlood

Location: Gallifrey. . . (Before the Time Wars. Duh- I time- traveled to get here.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: help me care for the orphaned raccoons!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Alright, here's the deal, guys... A little while back, a big ol' racoon decided it was gonna live under my deck. Naturally, I left it there- what harm did it do to me, right? So here we are, many weeks later- and it went and got itself run over. . . . Here's the catch- it was a mother of two teeeny weeny baby raccoons.

SSSOOOOOOO, the babies are wandering around on my deck- they're thin and cute and fluffy. They're about 7- 10 weeks old, and still a little topsy- turvy when it comes to walking.

Anyone know what to do????

And, as an edit, I refuse to call animal control- because they'd most likely put the little dears to sleep.
'I want you, bleeders......'
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little dears though they may be, racoons are ferocious animals. They're...well they're not domestic in any sense of the word. However, if you really want to help them, then you probably could train them to be livable companions.

Also, you need to see if you're breaking the law by keeping them. Check Here to see if it's listed in your state. I'm not sure if that's a reliable source, you may want to contact your local government agency anyhow, just to be sure.

Other than that, there are some good sources of information online it seems, about keeping raccoons as pets. Whatever your choice may be, I wish you the greatest of luck in your endeavor. If there is anything I may be able to assist with, let me know and I will help as I can. Benefits to being a forumite, you're counted as a friend to me. Razz

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, they are not like squirrels, who can be kept and domesticated....
I wish I could help....I found a bat not long ago, but he died before I could help him....I was so sad....
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find your local animal rescue people and get in touch with them. They will know what to do. You do NOT want to try and domesticate them yourself. Raccoons get rather large, which makes them hard to manage, and they can also become aggressive. I had a tangle with a full-grown specimen once, and was profoundly glad to get away without being bitten or scratched. They're cute and fluffy and darling right now, but they get decidedly less so when they're 25-30 pounds in weight and hissing at you.

Quite aside from that:

1) There may be laws about what you can do with them without a license;
2) You don't know what the best diet for a juvenile raccoon is, and it would be very easy to malnourish them as a result;
3) In the long run they'll be happier living their own lives.

So get your local animal rescue people involved. They know the laws, the know the diets, and they know how to raise orphaned infants so that they can be released to the wild later.

Be sure to have the animal rescue people check for other orphans, in case some are still under your porch.

EDIT: Raccoons often carry rabies, and can have several other nasty parasites, including some unpleasant worms which would be just as happy growing in your intestines.

Also, here's a wildlife rehab locator. Also check your state's animal control listings. Note that cow's milk can kill baby raccoons, they can't digest it. Kitten formula can work, but it's very easy to feed them incorrectly, causing them to inhale the formula and drown instead of swallowing it properly. Call your vet, call animal control, call somebody who knows what they're doing. This is NOT something you can do on you own.
unimportant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tin, the animal rescue won't put them down unless there's something wrong with them. So that is definitely choice number one.

If you did decide to raise them, there could be big problems. My raised one once when she was younger and lived on a farm, and says that once it got bigger it stopped being sweet and needy, and became the wild animal that it was, and they had to release it back. Her raising it even as a young animal could have caused major problems if there had been more people around, though luckily there weren't.

I am assuming you live in a more populated area however, and as with any animal if you raise them to not be scared of humans, they could become pest animals by not knowing to stay away. If they get older, bigger, and start being a problem, they most likely WILL get put down if they're caught, or else they might be killed like the mother was, or by a less kind homeowner. Essentially your reason for NOT calling a wildlife rescue place would backfire completely. So, after that long winded ramble, don't take care of them yourself. It's just a bad idea, on all sides, as sweet and admirable as your intentions are!
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOn't call the pound, but to reiterate what everyone else says, call animal rescue, or find someone who's certified to raise them. In my area there are people who have licenses to rescue and care for baby wild animals and rehabilitate them, Find one or call animal rescue. Trust my, I speak from experience. You do not want to raise these things on your own. One misstep and you could accidentally kill them. Call animal rescue - they won't put them down, that's not what they do.
horsin'around

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please please please, contact your local wildlife rehaber. As a wildlife rehaber myself, I SO encourage you to give them up. I know it's sad, but wildlife rehabers cannot give you advice without losing their license. Trust me, I know.

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another note about racoons... They don't get along with cats. So, if you have cats, or if neighbors have cats or anything of the like, racoons are not welcome. I've seen and heard of alot of cases where any pet cats that venture outdoors have a very high chance of getting killed by racoons, especially if there is catfood outside... they will attack to get to the food.

I fully agree with everyone else though on the calling a rescue group or the like that will take care of and relocate them when they're old enough to live on their own.

Good luck, whichever path you choose!
RoseBlood

Location: Gallifrey. . . (Before the Time Wars. Duh- I time- traveled to get here.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! I was hard against going to a rescue, but the general consenus speaks for itself- not to mention my moment of reconsideration. I'm sure (and have been assured) that the little ones will be cared for very well.

And on a side note, no they did not have rabies, yet they very nearly starved to death. They will, I'm told, be cared for by a/some trained professional(s) until they are ready to be released.

Again, thanks!
And especially to Merelyn- who oddly mentioned the cat thing, for which I am eternally grateful and offer my servitude for my whole life- or forever- which ever comes first!
horsin'around

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs Roseblood* You rock!

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for the racoons! And yer welcome! I watch alot of Animal Planet and other such related programs on other stations... so yea, I have seen this topic alot. And hmm... does this mean I have a minion now? >.> j/k *hugs the RED one* Glad we were all able to help you!
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tough decision to make, but ultimately probably the right one. They'll be properly taken care of and returned to their homes when they're old enough. In truth, you probably saved their lives, the little ones.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
RoseBlood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, after everything I've decided to name those little buggers. They're long gone, yet I think they deserve a title or two. . .

For the smaller one, I christen thee- Rosemary, in remembrance.
For the brother- I christen thee- Renpet, in honor of his youth.

Keep in mind, I never found out their genders, so.... yeah.

Feel absolutely free to offer up your opinion of better names.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosemary's going to have a tough time in Raccoon School, especially in the boy's gym... XD

Red Skelton
Squeeself

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squee's got racoons wondering about Squee's place. Cuter than Squee's new kitten, but nasty little buggers. Squee ocaisonally caught some of up close to a window, or in headlights and such. Fun to see, gotta keep the cat in at night though. Sadly, the neighbors didn't like em and put out a bunch of racoon traps...which funny enough, caught more cats than racoons, but still...been a lot less of em recently Sad

Squee's been wondering more about Squee's pet pheasant. Well, not pet. This gorgeous male pheasant used to come around (pimping with his flock of 3 or 4 girls). Fun to see all the time. But he had this annoying habit of pecking on Squee's window every time it started getting light out. Poor guy thought he saw another male pheasant in the window and was trying to protect his harem. After a while, nothing Squee did would scare him off...Was a real pain, had to block the window up for a while. But sadly...he hasn't been around this spring (just the females) so Squee fears the worst.

Squee gets more excitement from Squee's window than from any TV...cat & mouse chases, racoons, pheasant, deer...now if only the spiders wouldn't come inside through it Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: