4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
I am the Walrus!
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
You'll never take Kairi's heart!
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
I believe that if you leave food in the fridge too long, it begins to grow a mind of it's own...
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 21

Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some days I think I could write a webcomic in which stick figures made monotone statements about the world in which they live.

Then I realized I can't draw stick figures.

But I have <treat>, so that's okay.

¬_¬ Being cynical and yet funny isn't too hard. I just need to draw stick figures. I could be the Next Big Thing. And make lots of money. And then buy a fast car, get into a car accident, and end up crippled for the rest of my life.

Where's the funny now? HAHAHAHaaa... oh.

(Nice webcomic though!)

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheese.
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]

Last edited by spawnofjaws on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice, dear.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you just keep telling yourself that, chica.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shut up, robot. You're not even capable of human emotion.
:B
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 'cause irony and sarcasm aren't technically emotions.

Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well played, sir!

Red Skelton
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thankyou, sah.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miho wrote:

hhaha, dude... people... there is a musical episode of buffy and of xena! Sorry, that was my freakout for the day. the buffy one is pretty good. not gonna lie.

The musical episode of Xena was the only one I ever saw. It scared me for life.

I'm going to remember that pumpkin thing.
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slang.
Not really a discourse, more of a meandering observational type of waffle. It is interesting to see people coming into this fine city and struggle with what I would see as ‘basic’ slang. Words such as “Langer” (more on this one later), “Dow’cha” and “gaff”. Phrases like ‘I will ya boy’, ‘Me old man’ and ‘Yer old doll’ as well as the changing of the meaning of known words such as ‘pure’, ‘savage’, ‘fierce’ and ‘ride’. That does not even included words that are used to both the start a sentence and end one, interchangeably. Examples such as ‘like’ and ‘boy’.
Then I realize that what we are speaking, is to an outsider (used in its most insular sense, people from more then 40 miles away are outsiders in this context) total gibberish and/or another language. (The use of the present tense is correct here as I go through the ‘oh that’s interesting/amusing, then diffrent language realization every hemoglobin time)
I will give you an example of what I have said before and am likely to say again.

Someone: “..and I nearly got fired over it”
Me: “Jays boy, that’s fierce harsh, like”

The translation will not be direct. The ‘Jays’, ‘boy’ and ‘like’ can all be ignored.
What I meant was “the response to X was disproportionately large in a negative manner”

(This bit is preaching to the choir methinks) I think that a lot of slang is only understood when both parties have a good grasp of the slang being used (duh) and are face to face. A lot of the understanding involved in slang is in how it is said, context and even stance. The word ‘Langer’ is a very good example. It can be very insulting, you could use it to describe someone you hate but it can also be used to describe some one you really like or even love. As well as all the stages in-between. The meaning is entirely dependent on its context and the tone it is delivered in. There is a reason it is necessary to be very clear when you are joking or being sarcastic online. It is impossible to convey the meaning of a sentence through tone or stance (the standard methods) using text. While there are tools to help with this, such as smiley’s and stars *demonstrates* as well certain sentence construction methods. Dot dot dot for a pause, extended words for howls or fades, NNNNOOOOoooooooooo, capitals for SHOUTING etc. . However these methods can only take you so far.

Slang could be compared to jargon. Have you ever heard two professionals in the same field speak to each other on a topic based in that field? (Computer speak is a good example for those who don’t know what I am going on about) A lot of jargon and slang is thrown about. It is acceptable because both people involved in the conversation are able to understand this verbal ‘shorthand’. This is not a new development, sailors developed their type of distinctive speech along the same lines during the long Age of Sail. A good argument could also be made for ‘Leet’ being a natural development in this area as the need for fast understandable communication became necessary when playing MMORPGS. This is especially true as some players do not have either headphones or mikes.

Why then is it so hated? My thinking on this ties back in with the whole clarity when joking point. Leet is not developed enough as a ‘language’ (Broadest, loosest terms here). As such it is unable able to convey the nuances necessary to a fulfilling conversation. It was (and still is) used as a quick means of communicating specific, immediate needs and wants from person to person and/or person to group, it was never meant to be used in a real conversation. It is a ‘battle’ language and as such, it is very grating when used unnecessarily. (It is sharp, demanding and unapologetic)

Himm, went off topic in my own post, started with local slang ended up giving my ideas about why leet is hated. Good post for the Off Topic topic eh? I do apologize, I started thinking and you guys ended up with the written version of my thought process.

Translations to slang mentioned earlier

Dow’cha.- Doubt you. Generally used with ‘I don’t’. Example; “I don’t dow’cha boy” meaning “I believe you”.

Two Bulb- Police car

Gaff- Home

I will ya boy- No or I will not

Me old man/mam- My father/Mother

Yer old doll- Your girl friend

Savage- Fantastic, Great, good. Example; “I had a savage time”. Meaning; I had a good time

Fierce- An adjective, used to describe something as more, bigger or better. Example; There was a fierce savage crowd out last night. Meaning; The crowd last night was absolutely fantastic.

The local meaning of ‘ride’ I am not getting into and the rest are used ether at the start or end of sentences like capital letters or full stops.

One last question, What is the most notable/silly slang in your local? For me the most recognizable word is "Langer" and the weirdest phrase is “I will ya, boy” as it means no, completely opposite to what is actually said.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
Tyris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Only bit o' local slang we can think of at the moment (and it may be two or three years out of date) is "allow," sometimes "allow that," which roughly translates to "I have no intention of doing that."

And as we write about it, the memories are beginning to trickle back.

"Bare" is another odd bit of opposite slang, as rather than "scarce" it means "lots" or "very." It should not be confused with "brare," a popular misspelling of "brer" ("brother," but it's used to mean "comrade," or it was - it got used and used until it just became "person").

"Hench" can mean "large" or "imposing" or "tough" or similar sorts of "impressive," but last we were aware it was fading out in favour of... something. Can't remember what, though.

"Blaps" is a generic term for violence often used in the phrase "I'll blaps you out" (it may be noted that very little blapsing out tends to actually follow, however).

"Braps braps braps braps" (rolling the Rs is recommended but not mandatory) means "yes, I know I looked like a fool just then." Sure as sure, it takes the prize for silliest local slang. However, we'd say the most notable is "breadbin."

"Breadbin" is a piece of slang with an amusing history. When "brare" moved away from "comrade" to just "person," the term "brethren" was corrupted into "bredwin" to serve as the new "brare." The nerds watched on in amusement, and started ironically calling each other "my breadbin" because it sounded even sillier. Then the chavs wholeheartedly and unironically adopted it themselves, and everybody else fell about silently laughing.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinook - a swift, warm breeze which spills over the mountains, typically occurs in mid-Spring, and can melt a foot of snow in an hour. Not exactly slang, just a local word which doesn't get much play anywhere else but Colorado's front range.

Ginnell - a narrow passageway between two buildings. Local to Lancaster, England. Again, not slang so much as a regional word. I'm told other areas of Britain have a wide variety of equivalent words in the local dialect.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinook: a big, scary, twin-rotor helicopter that can lift a small tank.

Wink
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorem Ipsum.net annoys me. It's a handy place for copy-and-pasting fake Latin text when you're working on a design project. That part I like.

But JEEEZ ... here it is 2009 and it's still promoting tables-based layout with transparent spacer GIFs, doesn't mention ALT text anywhere on the site, and uses really badly chosen ALT text in its own code. It's a poster child for inaccessible, outdated web design. Every time I visit the site to copy the lorem ipsum text, I just have to grind my teeth. Come on, time for an update, yo!
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tyris and Tinalles for the input, I’m going start calling people Breadbins for fun.

Tinalles I really do not understand your rant about the site, this is probably because I have no idea what your talking about. Ah the joys of blissful ignorance.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: