FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Random ES Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion
theBSDude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Random ES Questions Reply with quote

This thread is for questions about the ES universe that don't relate to the story. For an example, here's my question.

When is Nanashi from? Meaning, what time period did she come from, like, compared to us.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know her father is a samurai. So she has to have come from a time period when there were samurai. That's a pretty big swath of time.

I like to think that Nanashi might have been trained to use a naginata, because that weapon developed for use by the samurai class and is traditionally associated with Japanese women. Also, in some traditions, learning the naginata also requires the student to learn at least the basics of using a sword, so as to better understand how to use the naginata against a swordsman. That would give Nanashi some basis for her skill with the siderean swords. You can read more than you're ever likely to want to know about the history of the naginata here. The first page of that, by the way, includes accounts of a couple of really tough (but possibly fictional) Japanese warrior women from the late 12th/early 13th centuries. Nanashi could easily be a contemporary of theirs. Or, indeed, one of them.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we can't age her by the names she's given people...

Fellucca, in particular, is named after one of the moons from World of Warcrack, IIRC. Which puts her firmly... About now, really.
Ravenna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would point out that I believe the Lady has already told us that Nanashi's weapons training doesn't begin until AFTER she and her father apparently left Japan. I'm fairly sure the Lady mentions she travels through India and China and other countries.

I said on Forum V.1, but I don't think 12/13th century Japan is very likely because of Japan's foreign relations and civil wars back then. If she had been trained in Japan and in those times to fight as she does, I think it more likely she was an entertainer than nobility. The 12th century was the end of the Heian era, where women going through a wonderful period of flourishing literature, but I don't remember hearing about self-defense or combative training. Certainly not for nobility living close to or in the capital.

Kung-fu techniques don't leave monasteries until the 15th century, after the Ming crackdown.

I would point out that the 'Samurai Code' was a lot like the 'Pirate Code' - it was more like a set of guidelines. A lot of the images of samurai that we tend to get in the West are slightly romanticised Meiji literature (which looked back on samurai in the same way the Victorians looked back on chivalry) and post-war period dramas and films.

It is very possible that Japan had women warriors during its history, but each situation tends to be unique, trying to place them to a specific time period where 'it's easier for there to be women warriors here!' is very difficult. Women warriors weren't discussed in my history class, I will admit. But the earliest example of the naginata in Tin's article sites women living in Echigo and other extremely removed provinces, which would have been extremely atypical given how removed from they were from what was considered Japanese noble society.

In my own opinion, I'd say that Nanashi is most likely to be from just before the fall of the Tokugawa. There was more illicit trade activity with foreign powers, and there would be more chance of her learning these techniques while traveling.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Felucca" is also a word in Arabic -- it refers to a type of small boat used in Egypt to sail up and down the Nile. Here's a pic. Kind of jaunty and self-confident, aren't they? Just like our purple girl with the wings.

And there was a lot of trade between India and Egypt, across the Red Sea, starting in late antiquity and going through, well, now. So If Nanashi made it as far as India, she might have met and talked with an Egyptian sailor, and picked up the word there.

The Tokugawa period would be a good origin time, too. Lots of interesting stuff going on then.

But really, Lady Yates is the only one who could answer this question for sure. I don't know that she's picked a particular period yet. It would probably be a good idea, though. Nanashi's the only character who has fully intact memories of her pre-Earthsong life (excepting her name). So knowing when and where exactly she came from would be helpful for developing the character. Pick a time and place, do a little reading on it, and then Nanashi can occasionally refer to her past. It would deepen the character a good bit.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know - in the previous forum's name discussion thread, i suggested that as the source of her name, and teh Lady told me otherwise Razz
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My random Earthsong question: I remember the Lady once saying that Beluosus infected the soulstones of the Mandragora by coating them in his own element, I can't remember if that was in the original or the redux, so first of all I'd like to know that.

Second, if their soulstones are coated in Beluosus' element, does that mean they can touch his manifest stone?
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! I keep thinking that I've replied to the questions here and I haven't.

As for what time period Nanashi is from, I generally defer to Ravenna on this issue, as she knows oodles more about Japanese history than myself. So if both she and Tin agree on the Tokugawa period, then so be it!

The name Felucca I actually got from a really old game named Ultima. THere's a moon in it named Felucca. Little did I know that it's also a word for an arabic sailboat at the time ( I have since been on one as well!)

As for soulstone infection, that is indeed still how Bel does it. A thin coating that he can "activate" and cause the conflicting resonance between the two elements to create an immense pain the host. This doesn't give them an ability to touch his manifest stone though - it would cause that same pain, but to a much greater (and crispier) degree.
Tyris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*put two and two together*
So... that might mean Willow is immune to infection (not to the coating, but to the pain), depending on whether she can touch anybody's manifest stone or just Earthsong's...

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the ES universe. How can everyone understand each other? What about the language barrier?

For example how can a human, (whose home planet has multiple languages) talk/communicate to an entirely different species without any problems? (translation, slang, etc)

Any theories? Explanations? I know the reason (so The Lady can tell the story) but I would like an in universe mechanic.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthsong (and Bel) translates all of their speech into Estrellian, the language of the planets. ^_^

Wait, I can do better than that...

The almighty Lady wrote:
Everyone is actually speaking a language called Estrellian - its the universal language of the planets/stars/whatever. Estrellian is what all sentient species start out speaking but obviously the language is lost/adapted/mutated/whathaveyou over time.

They are all able to speak this language due to their proximity to either Bel or ES, who, due to their manifest stones, are acting as "universal translators". Sort of - it's not actually a "translation"; it's the actual ability to speak and understand this language. Anyhow, if they got TOO far away from either, they'd revert back to speaking their native tongue.

And before you ask, yes they can also READ Estrellian, and that's what most of the books in the library are written in.

I've just translated the comic into English for your convenience.
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, sorry about the thread necromancy, I thought I had read all the relevant info and posts before I posted that question. Looks like I didnít Embarassed

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Tamir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad about it. How will we learn if we don't ask? =) Besides, we're more or less okay with necromancy around here, as long as it's relevant.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no, necromancy only applies to pointless threads, when the gap is more than normal. Five days doesn't count as necromancy. Five WEEKS is different, if it's for a thread like, say, "OMG Twilight is amazing!!!1!!!1"*

*Thank G-d we don't actually have a thread like that.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so began the training of the noob Very Happy

dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: