FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Embellished Ribbon Bracelets

Merlenyn

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Embellished Ribbon Bracelets Reply with quote

Okay, I tried posting as part of my post the other day in the Today thread... partly cause I was just lazy and trying to get a post out, so I figure I'll post here now since this is the lovely Arts and Crafts area...

I have this awesome jewelry magazine that had a tutorial of making a fun bracelet out of grosgrain ribbon, beads, buttons, felt, etc... I tried making one and I think it came out funky and fun! I was told that I could prolly do really well if I tried to sell them. I figure... at the MOST I spent about $5 in supplies (probably less) for this one bracelet... I asked one friend how much she thought she'd spend if she bought something like it, she gave me a very vague estimate of $5-$20!

So, I thought I'd come here and post for some ideas from forumites!

These are the quick pics I took of the bracelet I made, I can take better pics later, especially once I get more made up....
Lithrath

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for the beading alone you could probably fetch about $15 for this in some shops; I'd need to get a better look before giving a definite estimate. Make sure not to sell your time short.

My aunt makes button/broach cuffs from vintage pieces and is able to fetch near $50 for most of them. A sample of her work:

I hope you used a heavy-duty button thread for those buttons, elsewise I'd be concerned about them coming off with so few loops. ...After some day-to-day wear of course.

Merlenyn

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beadwork on that one was a little time consuming but not overly complicated... but I don't think I would sell them for less than $10 if I could. I actually used beading thread when I was attaching the buttons, and it felt fairly heavy-duty, so hopefully it'll be okay. That bracelet was my first try, I need to make a few more to get a better feel of what I'm doing, and to try out various styles of decorating. ^_^

Those button cuffs look really neat, and being 'vintage' and the amount of time looks like was put into all the button layering and sewing, I can see a $50 tag... my buttons aren't vintage, just outta some packs I picked up at Joann's a while back and hadn't done anything with yet. *practically collects buttons and beads...*

I haven't had much time to practice on more, but hopefully next week I can get another one or two done, and spend some time to take better pics so I can post them here.

Thanks for the advice though! <3
Flavren

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really cute. :3

You should try other kinds of jewelry too.
I've always wanted to make a button barrette or something cute. I like barrettes and necklaces though. >_o;
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"other" stuff too huh? Hmm... >.>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/merlenyn/sets/72157604128199517/

Like some of the stuff in there? I can do more, and I have stuff I have not taken pics of yet... oh, that reminds me I made another ribbon bracelet - without alot of buttons:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v109/Merlenyn/?action=view&current=Bracelet2.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v109/Merlenyn/?action=view&current=Bracelet2D.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v109/Merlenyn/?action=view&current=Bracelet2C.jpg

Also, a friend of mine has commissioned me to make one similar to the Orange and Button bracelet as a birthday present for her cousin. As she said, there's something "endearingly Sesame Street" about it.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that last bracelet! The only I would have preferred if it was for me would be for the clasp to be symmetrical - to have a purple button on the other side as well, even if it wasn't there for any purpose. I like the series of diagonal lines, it's very clean and elegant.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I didn't really think of that. Well, I kinda did I think... I think I shall have to make a second bracelet (maybe with a diff ribbon color, I've got like 10 of them...) and put a 'clasp' button on both ends even if the bead loop is only on the one.

If my internet continues to hold (it's been horrendously crappy for over a week now, maintenance... BAH!) I plan to read up on Etsy all the rules and regs of selling stuff, and maybe I'll actually try and sell through there! My friend who commissioned a bracelet just sent me money via paypal, but having an actual 'site' to post things on would be neat. ^_^
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live! Yes I do! I think anyway... >.>

So, I've made a few more bracelets. One pair was commissioned by my 'baby sister' for herself and her friend....

And the last one I made as a birthday present for my other sister....

Currently working on one that I hope will make a nice choker/necklace... Also I have like, a dozen ideas or more for other things, outta ribbon or wire or chain...
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pink one is gorgeous. And the other two are so cute! I hope they wear them.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Asa!

I love the pink one myself, and am going to make another one similar to it (same colors and all - but on wider ribbon as an experiment, with more swirls and things). And yea, the bracelets are all getting worn plenty. ^_^
Lithrath

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those last two pics are made of win. I especially love the black and pink bracelet; it's simply gorgeous.

Hmmm...my fingers are itching to make something now.

Merlenyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I will SO take a picture when I finally manage to make the wider version of that pink bracelet.

Just curious, what do people THINK when they see it? When I showed the pic to a friend, she had a rather odd association in her brain with it... O.o
Asa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think of dress trimmings. Like what would go around a hem.

But if you want something more abstract, it makes me think of wind, and leaves blowing therein.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The face of it reminds me of a car stereo face. >_> Not because I, you know, spend a lot of time around cars...

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well, those are alot more plausible things than "crazy cat lady" which is what my friend was thinking... >.> My sister was thinking more like "high class/fancy" when I gave it to her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Arts 'n Crafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: