FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Rise of The Machines Edition
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Ravenna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Today: Rise of The Machines Edition Reply with quote

Today, if you don't like the Terminator reference, it was going to be a Resident Evil reference so no mumpin'

On Monday, I hit 50, 135 words by the end of NaNoWriMo. My novel isn't finished yet, but I do like it, so I'm going to keep working on it and edit it up. I'm looking forward to getting through it! ^_^

Today I make chicken katsu for my lunch tomorrow.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, I forgot Nanowrimo was over.

Today I cracked up while doing homework with a friend, totally lost it. Over what? Bracketing compounds. There's a particular way to describe the patterns of compound words, by describing their constituents: [noun-verb-er]N for example, describes compounds like 'bread winner', 'matchmaker', etc. And in this manner, we discovered a new alternate expletive: "You verbing noun!" ([verb-ing-noun]N 'flying doctor') Hee hee hee.

For your further edification, the bracketing for 'flying doctor' looks like this:

[N[Adj[V fly[-ing]]][N doctor]]

Here's a more complicated one:

[N[Adj[Adj blue]-[N collar]][N[V work[-er]]]]

*eyes spin* very simple, really, but I had to do a whole page of these...

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Rav: Resident Evil still scares me to this day, probably because it was the one game series I never owned, and only played the first 30 minutes of a few of the games. Zombies are terrifying, man!

@Asa: Ah, linguistics humor... My friend who knows half a dozen languages, translates documents for his HEMA (swordplay) group, and is an all around amazing person also has this sense of humor. I only slightly, slightly "get it". ^_^; I should introduce you two, I think you would make excellent pen pals!

Today I deleted my today post because it was whiny!

Today, I was corrected on a steampunk cannon design by my brother, who actually does work with steam powered machines and air pressure. O_o

Today, I want to write, but to work I must go. Tenshi AWAY!

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother's a linguist. He's fluent in Hindi and likes making clever cross-lingual jokes. Since my sister is the only other person in the family who knows any Hindi (or linguistics, for that matter), she's the only one who gets them . . .

Today I wish I had a canoe.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I visited a dentist for the first time in five years, and they report that I have three very small cavities, one larger one, and an area of minor periodontal activity, all of which will need attending to; but they also said that on the whole, my teeth look to be in pretty good shape.
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today the service went great. ^^ So glad!
And I'm, likin' the new name! ^^
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
Maeniel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I applied for another internship; we'll see how this goes. Smile
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Maen!

Today I think I might have flunked a fairly easy math test. Why? Why can't I remember anything? ><;;

Today I really hope it snows tomorrow.
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hugs for 'Nu and co*

Today I skipped my third German lecture. Weeee, week's much more fun when you're not spending time on that course. Must remember to get in contact with my advisor of studies at some point to get pulled off it.

Today I slept in until five o'clock.

Today I am frying sausages.

Today I argued for an instanciatable (sp) version of identity.

"... And who thinks his ship is both ships?"

Twisted Evil

Also there was a quite funny bit at the end of the argument when someone asked whether there were any examples of a certain kind of philosopher - because she was one - and the teacher was like....

"I can't think of any... There's lots of examples of the argument but I can't think of anyone who's actually subscribed to it. It's more like a strawman, people come up with it to disprove it."

XD Ouch!

Today was a little more sane than the last few months. Probably because I was asleep for most of it.

Today I walk around the flat in my dressing gown - it's COLD.

Today I wrap my gut around a warm drink.
- Issa
Miho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today Miho is going to officially announce here that she is once again in a relationship. Boy speaks Russian, is pre-med, a photographer, owns a mustang, can play guitar, piano, and violin, and dabbles in designing clothes. Catch? I think so. I just had to brag.

Today Miho is still... wondering about her computer. She tried doing the safe mode scan yesterday but she started it at 9, got called in early to work and was there till about 4:30 so when I got home.. there was nothing on my screeen... I have no idea how the scan went. Poop.

Today Miho is heading a party for the first time tonight. Eeeep! Should be good and exciting.

Today Miho just wants to say that you all may think her crazy but she absolutely loves restaurant work. She loves banquet serving more specifically. It's all so hectic and stressful and it moves so fast, but the people never see that. I mean, last night there was a party in every room and all of us servers were running around like crazy, but the people knew this not. I just think it's ridiculously fun. However, I'm not a fan of the teenage servers cause when it comes time to resetting rooms they are sooo slow cause all they do it chat with one another. Urgh.

Today Miho is gonna donate plasma. Hopefully and maybe go apply for a weekend job that goes midnight to noon with a twelve hour break and then starts up again midnight to noon. Then I could be working 3 jobs.

Today Miho thinks instead of 3 jobs, she should just get a full time job and work a part time one too.

Today Miho wonders something. So the other day I was cooking rice in my roommates brand new stainless steel pots from Ikea and I forgot about it. Anywho, long story short, the bottom was totally black. I boiled vinegar in it and scrubs and whatnot and now, now it's shiny, like new again. Anyone wanna explain the magical properties of vinegar to me?
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinegar is an environmentally friendly, non-toxic cleaner/antiseptic. You can use it for cleaning, and it does wonders with hair too (though I suggest using shampoo afterwards to get rid of the smell). It's also good for pimples. Why it is so, I do not know. I only know that I love and adore vinegar.
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I woke up a bit late and painted some toys. Um, I meant to say finely detailed miniatures used in a board game aimed at mature adults. Definitely not a game where grown men play with toy soldiers and dice, oh no not that at all. Smile I had lunch with a good friend of mine, after which I headed off to work. Once I finished work I went to a get together in my sisters place. I have had a good day and a (reasonably) productive one as well.

Today I posted my first post in the shiny new today thread.

@Asa: That is, to me, some strange sort of humor you have there. I am an old school ‘slipping on a banana peal’ kind of guy.

@Tenshi: How did your trip with your son go?

@Tinu: A canoe? Why? Also congratulations on being the first forumite (in the ‘new’ forum anyway) to breach the two thousand posts mark. *Gives Tinu a rare achievement cookie*

@ Nem: That is why you stay in bed where is warm and toasty.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, thanks! Look! I'm from the the past! 8D

And a canoe because I love canoes. I love canoeing. There is nothing quite like hopping in one and going out on a lake early in the morning. You don't make much noise in a canoe and it's a lot easier to observe nature. The action of paddling is soothing, whatever speed you go is something you alone achieve (unless you're going down a stream or river and there's a current). I learned to canoe when I was little on my great-aunt's farm, and learned how to do nifty things like turning and righting one at summer camp. I suppose you could say that canoes remind me of happiness and summer and are a symbol of peace and freedom to me. That and I've just always wanted a canoe. There are a lot of lakes near where I live and it's a shame I never get to go out on them.

Sorry for the ridiculously long explanation. ^^;

Tomorrow I must take two tests and compile a presentation.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tinu: Congrats on 2000 posts! And, yes, canoes are beyond awesome. The only time they're not awesome is when you hit rapids in them. Oh, man, the horrible memories... *shudders*

My father used to own a canoe, we used to go canoeing all the time in it... I miss those days.

@Ax: It went very well! We only had a day together, so we spent the whole time in each others' company. We ended up packing two days worth of activities into one day, and I was TOTALLY exhausted by the end of it. I went through four cups of coffee, but he had a great time. ^_^ Even with my heart problems being aggravated by caffeine, it was worth it!

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you get trapped under one and come close (or what seems terribly close at the time) to drowning. There's nothing like a rapidly shrinking pocket of air to give you a new perspective on life. ^^;
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 1 of 100

Jump to: