FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Problematic But Shiny
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I start working the graveyard shift. From 11PM to 8AM. Better money, more reliable hours. Can't complain, but adjusting to this new schedule has not been gentle.

Today my father and I watched the last race of the Formula 1 season. It was, beyond a doubt, one of the most emotional automotive races I've ever seen. I have nothing but adoration for the sport, and the drivers are such strong figures. I grieved for Massa, cheered his recovery a year ago. I lauded Shumacher's return to F1 with great expectations. To see Vettel, the youngest driver yet to clinch the title, in tears of joy over his victory was truly uplifting. ^_^

Today a friend was nearly in tears of a less happy nature after a manager where we work started spreading rumors that she was sleeping with two other employees inside the fuel station. Unless the manager has film evidence, that manager isn't going to fare well. I directed the friend to the union rep, and told her to report harassment. Let the sparks fly.

Today I listened to bluegrass. Link in the YouTube section.

Today I make two posts, and no longer have a post count of 2000. Now I have 2002. Kind of a bummer, actually.

That's all I've got.

The Coming Week, in brief:

- Two birthdays for my friends.
- A wedding.
- Chest x-rays. Yay for irradiation!
- More doctor appointments.
- Shave my head.

And you think that last one is a joke, right now. Heh heh heh.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I actually accomplished a significant amount of work. Also watched tv on my computer, but I accomplished.

And bought a few trinkets at the Sisterhood Bazaar.

Tomorrow I work, finish the literature review, and finish the second draft of my paper. It has grown three and a half pages, and that's after I deleted a full page of original content. And I'm not done inserting the things I've written up to be added... Yeah. Big paper.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my car died in a parking lot. My dad got it up and running though. It always dies when I'm out an about and it's inconvenient to get up with someone. ><;

Today my proposal for the youth group was presented to the church. They approved--part of it, at least. Well, yay for small steps forward. =)

Today I finished taking pictures for my still life project. I had fun with the lighting. =)
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was going moderately well until I got on the bus to go home. Whereupon I took my gloves off because it was hot, and forgot them. They are lost. They were good gloves, a gift from my mother, and they are not the first nice thing I've lost on the bus. It was stupid of me. I know that I can't keep track of more than two things at a time; I should have put them directly in my backpack. I didn't. It was stupid.

Now I'm in a very bad place. Not going to sleep well, I think.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you lose your last pair of gloves on the bus, too?

Today I spent several hours talking movies and trading world music with my friend from Psychology. She is officially awesome. ^___^
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. *scowl* With the same trick.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that. =(

Have you thought about getting a pair that has a wrist strap? I think they still make those, at least. They used to.
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not talk about my stupidity any more, 'kay?

Allicat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*huggles* I know how you feel Asa, I do that all the time too. I recently lost my purse, sent an email around work (150 intelligent professionals) and put it on facebook for anyone to get in touch if they'd seen it. Got home and found it in my bag. Embarassed See? Now that is stupid! Try getting in touch with the bus company to see if they have them. Worth a try surely?

Moving on; today I have a report to do. Gorammit Alli! Stop procrastinating!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today in my Greek Comedy lecture the professor played this:

Twice.

The kittehs are doing much better now. They're still quite timid and if there are too many people stood up in the room they will run away but they're letting my parents and I approach them more and they've started to approach us too.

Oh, and they've been using the clothes maiden as a climbing frame. My clean laundry is covered in cat hairs.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I played with double exposures and light painting with limited success. I accidentally broke the lock on my camera plunger, so I had to use tape, which didn't always hold the plunger down--which wasted a few shots. ><;;

Today there's a meteor shower. YAY! ^____^
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the reading for today's lecture. Two hours on Love Without Mercy - Zizek. Poetry without point me thinks.

It's all very well to go around making all these grand sorts of claims - and in a rather brute sense as a manifestation of your history you inevitably reveal something about the interactions of your peers in that - but there's a difference between that and worthwhile truths. Even to reduce a certain set of beliefs to a single belief to hold one person's faith and the promises they find in something equal to another's. It's not clear that should be thought of as solely a function of scripture which is after all a concept structure that doesn't necessarily hook onto the same referents for everyone. I'm inclined to wonder where his evidence is. Is he really holding any cards?

One of the problems with reading continental philosophy is that it tends to assume a familiarity with a vast corpus from which it invokes terms and concepts without necessarily justifying or even explaining them. So at the end you have this giant card tower of concepts - and if just one of them is out of place the whole thing collapses.

It's interesting to note the differences in language structure, education and so on between the backgrounds for analytical philosophy and continental philosophy. English is not a particularly inventive language. Russian children will happily recite and allude to poetry; it's tied up in their culture, producing a language that's literary in a sense that English probably never will be. Grammar, for instance: Due to its range of cases Russian is a language where syntax is of questionable importance. You can write a three word sentence six different ways and they'll all mean the same thing. Which provides a lot of freedom in poetry.

In English, while we have the remnants of a case system in our pronouns, the order of words is much more important in determining their meaning.

I love her.
Her love I

Her love I --- what? Her love I spurn? You can work out what it means but that's because you know the context of the statement from the one above it.

Does that extra freedom account for the popularity of the art form, the other way around, or are they in resonance with each other? Or perhaps none of the aforementioned options is the case and they're entirely unrelated.

Anyway, I digress. My point was it may not be so strange for them to assume a familiarity with a fairly wide corpus if there's a wider tradition of using language 'artistically.' The resultant habits and knowledge of which would carry over into the way they read and write philosophy, (even in English some philosophers you read as much as anything else for their prose,) and then - if that was popular - you'd get people who are ignorant of the allusions imitating them in languages and cultures that lacks those traditions.

Kind of like intellectual cargo cults. ^_~

Or it might just be that their education system doesn't suck quite as awfully as ours. I was talking to this German girl a few months back who pointed out that she had learned nothing in the three years since coming to university. She's doing a psychology course with a focus on neurology.

From the perspective of someone whose cultural background is largely devoid of that sort of thing however for whatever reason - it seems like (and may very well be - the above is just idle pondering rather than something Nem would be happy to back) hiding your inability to create an argument behind a term in the hope that in order to pick you up on it someone'll have to go and read ten or twenty books written by a rather bad philosopher a hundred or more years ago. Generally a different philosopher for every term.

The ability to quote scripture does not mean you have something worth saying. Doesn't mean you don't either, but don't expect to be understood by people outside your tradition.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like analytical philosophers aren't subject to excessive verbosity, it just tends to have fewer literary allusions. Last ten years continental and analytical philosophy have been drifting worryingly close to each other in that regard.

A lot of papers / books would benefit from a little dictionary at the start where they say what they actually mean by their terms. Or at least where they're getting them from.

Today can't seem to turn my brain off. <_< Gneh.

Feel like you should be doing something ya' know.

Today went to a talk one of my favourite lecturers from a couple of years back was giving on philosophy. ^___^ Asa would've liked his Irish accent I think.

Today I thought about the importance of dreams to education. Was talking to a friend who said he was going on the dole when he left uni. That's his, 'plan,' as it were. Yeesh. It's not wrong that he can, but that he wants to.... He used to want to be a philosopher; it's one of the reasons we started talking to each other we both shared an interest. We used to trade essay drafts and little bits of info. That spark's died you try talking to him about this neat bit of info you've found now and it's just like 'I don't want to know, I just want to get out of here.'

We've lost something in focusing solely on skills something important to the soul, for lack of a better word. Skills, yes, but as a means to an end to enabling people to do what they want.

Today consider the weird tension between 'multiculturalism' and racism laws. Supposedly we're meant to celebrate our diversity, yet whenever you note a difference you're racist. There seems some innate premise that difference is bad expressed in the very aversion to discuss and yes even trade on our values in the interests of harmony some of which are contradictory despite how politically incorrect it is to note that. An attempt to rend culture down to a homogeneous goo by simple apathy.

Behind multiculturalism is the idea that any really abstract belief practised within the framework of capitalism is ritually stripped of its contradictory meanings, but that takes times we may not have. There are people being arrested in the Netherlands, for instance, effectively just for saying that they don't want Sharia law I believe there was quite a public case of it recently where they couldn't even organise a decent show-trial. Do people honestly believe that this is how we're going to live together? One hand extended in greeting the other reaching for a knife?

Gneh, I seem to have strayed into raging against the system again. <_<
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*blink blink* Well that was...informative actually. I've been thinking a lot about words lately (maybe something to do with a communications module I'm taking) so your digression about changing the meaning of a sentence by changing the structure I identified with most. I'm currently looking at the representation of science in popular media, so your post in the youtube thread was pretty useful too! Nem helps with my degree ^_^

Today it is stormy and tempestuous. Hooray! It's nice when I can sit in and listen to the wind howling around my cosy little flat and know I don't have to go out in it!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa likes accents and words in general, not just Irish ones. ^_^

Asa should also be doing readings and working on a short essay, but is instead chatting with a friend and thinking about a book she was reading on the bus.

All together now, can we say "unproductive day..."?

Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I've got to work on writing a paper on Drama.

Today I need to fill out a job application.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 2 of 100

Jump to: