FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Texans?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Texans? Reply with quote

Are any of you guys Texan? I'm currently looking for someone to help me at my booth at AKon - I need a money monkey to take the cash for me since the US gov't feels it is a big no no for an insidious job-stealing Canadian to do so.

I can't afford to pay you for your time (sorry!) but I will pay for your pass to the convention and give you free prints/buttons.

No need to apologise in this thread if you can't or don't live nearby - it's a lot for me to ask, I know. But I gotta ask anyhow!

~C
devilman2045

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Texans? Reply with quote

YatesOfYore wrote:
Are any of you guys Texan? I'm currently looking for someone to help me at my booth at AKon - I need a money monkey to take the cash for me since the US gov't feels it is a big no no for an insidious job-stealing Canadian to do so.

I can't afford to pay you for your time (sorry!) but I will pay for your pass to the convention and give you free prints/buttons.

No need to apologise in this thread if you can't or don't live nearby - it's a lot for me to ask, I know. But I gotta ask anyhow!

~C

I'm not from texas... It would be intersting to see if anyone is,... and if no one is, if someone volunteers to take a vacation to do this....
devilman2045

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one?
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's entirely possible someone didn't wish to give out their location and contacted the Lady privately.

It's also entirely possible that no one lives in Texas.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:

That's right. Anyone you meet in Texas is probably a figment of your imagination.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinalles wrote:
Tinu. wrote:

That's right. Anyone you meet in Texas is probably a figment of your imagination.

Haha, sorry. No one from the forum, I meant.
devilman2045

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
It's entirely possible someone didn't wish to give out their location and contacted the Lady privately.

Never thought about that...
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no Texan forumites. I contacted the old skool ones I knew live there personally. I was just checking to see if there were any I didn't know of.

I'd rather hang out with someone that I know than a stranger, y'know?
devilman2045

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YatesOfYore wrote:
Nope, no Texan forumites. I contacted the old skool ones I knew live there personally. I was just checking to see if there were any I didn't know of.

I'd rather hang out with someone that I know than a stranger, y'know?

Absolutely... Here's hoping it works out for you!
devilman2045

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your little mini comic. I know it sounds so "dangerous",... But I'd recommend a little bluff.... just tell em your passing the stuff out, which, technically, you are... it's just that there's funds being passed back, which they dont' need to know about....
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's called Fraud, and I would really rather not see The Lady caught up in anything of that nature. Wink

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
chyiochan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can bet they would have stopped her when they saw her bringing multiple of the same items. Lawyers can say you can take stuff over to sell, but technically no, you're not allowed to do it. I'm sure you called the USCIS about it too. Yeah, you can call them 5 different times and get somewhat of the same answer, but none of them really know what you're asking. It all comes down to the Border Patrol. Doesn't matter what your lawyer told you, or what the USCIS told you, the border/customs has to clear it. And even then, most of them don't even have their stories straight.

You have no idea how hard of a time I had trying to immigrate to Michigan from Ontario. Because I was engaged to an American Citizen, and it was hard for me to visit. He had already taken all my stuff to the USA, and the day I tried to go over, we were denied, I was fingerprinted, and sent 3 hours back driving to my home in Ontario.. Took a lot of talking to the border chief and finally getting a pass to go into the USA. I'm only 23, and I never used a lawyer.

So main point is, USCIS and Border Patrol do not know the same thing! Always be careful with what you do, and you are 'technically' not allowed to come into America from any other country to 'sell' goods. You're not a tax paying resident. I believe its illegal income. You need a visa to earn money in the States. Also, always tell the truth. If you lie, you could be Banned from the USA.

Also, when you get refused and fingerprinted, it means you were trying to do something illegal, and they have you on record for that. It sucks!

I'm glad it all worked out for you though. I know you must have spent a butt load of money shipping all that to yourself, as well as gas and time of having to turn back around. I wish I could have noticed earlier to help you out. I've dealt with the customs/immigration wolves for over a year. What fun! (By the way, this is in 2009. I was on a Visit visa for 8 months after being married, then had to come home for another 8 months before I got my US resident status. Everything worked out perfectly in the end Wink )

I'm glad you had a great time in Texas!
devilman2045

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
That's called Fraud, and I would really rather not see The Lady caught up in anything of that nature. Wink

My god, you people are so hard to humor... apparently, sarcastic humor eludes you...
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps because it's accusatory, and not funny. Let's try to stay away from criminality and insults, all right? There's plenty of other fish in the humor sea.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
devilman2045

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
Perhaps because it's accusatory, and not funny. Let's try to stay away from criminality and insults, all right? There's plenty of other fish in the humor sea.

Definitly meant no offense with it...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: