FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

100 Years of Animated Films

Squeeself

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: 100 Years of Animated Films Reply with quote

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/08/17/happy-100th-birthday-to-animated-film/

Just thought Squee would share. It's interesting to see how far animation has come. From being what was essentially a transfer of flip-books to film, to Disney masterpieces and into computer animation...Very amazing to see.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oo, nifty. ^_^
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's super-cool!
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
CBB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20th century was just a whirlwind of change. You look at powered flight (68 years between the first flight and the Moon landing), telecommunications, warfare, transportation...somebody from 1900 would never recognize the year 2000. That said, I think animation has actually been one of the more stable innovations of the modern world. The tools have changed and become more advanced, but animation is still a series of still images rapidly interchanged to create the illusion of movement. Animation's real worth is that it is the 20th century's main contribution to the art. You can argue about modernism, cubism, futurism, and so on, but animation is by far the most widespread and popular art form the 20th century produced, and it is the only art form that can make all other art forms come to life.

Happy Birthday, animation! Thank you, Émile Cohl!

Psychosomatic! That boy needs therapy...
Ya que estamos en el baile, ˇbailemos!

Keeper of Earthsong's Wispy Wooshy Memory Ball
Keeper of the Dragon Planet
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The year 1900 would never recognize the year 2000"

Probably very true, actually. In many ways, I'm both excited and terrified to see what the next century will user in. I have a few ideas where it may go, much as the science fiction readers and writers predicted much of our current technology. Nanotechnology? Integrated bio-mechanical implants? Easy to achieve space flight? Faster Than Light Travel?

Animation has gone from a series of images, to an entire culture. It's gone from it's infancy (a novel concept) to an entire discipline of study, an entire culture of fans. You said that 1900 wouldn't recognize 2000, I'm more curious to know if the originator of animation would recognize their baby now. From 3D animation to anime to "Classic" animation, it's all so unique and stylized and impossibly beautiful now. I wonder what they would say? Smile

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Squeeself

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
Animation has gone from a series of images, to an entire culture. It's gone from it's infancy (a novel concept) to an entire discipline of study, an entire culture of fans.

Just thought Squee would point out since you brought it up...Squee recently got accepted into a brand new major at Squee's university: Computer Science Animation Emphasis. Due to various reasons, Squee didn't go into the Animation major here, but now Squee is in an interesting place. Animators nowadays far more left-brain computer skills than any other artist. Squee's entire field of study now is a combining of science to produce art (as one of my professors said, it's all about getting people to use both sides of the brain). It's a very amazing thing to see how animation has become such a convergence today Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: