FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

So what have you been up to?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: So what have you been up to? Reply with quote

The forums been away for a long time and I know some people might have chatted on msn or read LJ's but I haven't, so let's catch up.

Let's see, I turned 19, (actually that was just a few days after the forum went down.) I've been off uni for about a month for the Easter holiday and I'm going back for exams and essays next week. Ah yes, that's one thing I did when I didn't have the forum to distract me, I wrote an essay for Medieval Studies, (it was over twice as long as the essay I wrote whilst the forum was up, I wonder if there's a connection there?)

I finished a book I've been writing for two and a half years, Somewhere Beyond the Sea is the longest book I've ever written and I feel rather proud of it. I'm now writing a new book as of yet unnamed and simulaniously working on a manuscript that will hopefully be finished soon. (I finished the actual book a few years ago but I had issues with the ending and rewriting it took way longer than I thought it would)

I don't think I've been up to much else, I'm going to Spain soon to visit my sister, that should be fun, and in three months I'll be heading of to Canadaland to visit a friend.

That's an interesting story, my friend was living in Alberta when I booked the non-refundable ticket, but now she's had to move to Halifax so I had to buy a new flight. I'm out 500 pounds but I can afford it. I could have bought an internal flight but it was almost as much as a new flight and for 8 hours waiting in the airport and panic over whether I would miss a flight, would I lose baggage, had I timed them right, it just didn't seem worth it.

So what have you guys been up to?
Storm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've started a webcomic (hit the www button), and I'm, as of April 8, 8 pages in. And I finished a novel of my own (Weee novelists unite!). And I just got a sweet Alienware that can trounce any machine in the Stormy vicinity, because it's just an Alienware and it's cool and it glows blue.............

I also FINALLY got my digital animation software (sorta) working, so at least I can animate! I've been talking about doing a vid or trailer for Earthsong for a while now, for those that missed that thread, and I can finally start! YES!

Miho's Young Padawan

Dubbed "Poodle" by Asa and "Teh Stormy Poodle" by Ponce
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to watching that vid, whenever you make it. ^_^

I haven't done much while the forum was down...more of the same. I'm halfway through my degree now, though it looks like the worst is still to come. I'll be sure to meet it head-on.
cvcdaisy3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For relatively big events, I've been to San Fran as part of the daily tourist plague with my family. I also was part of the Oklahoma! production at our school (had it already started before the forum crashed?) which is now finished.

As for less significant happenings: I read too much, discovered some new sites which I spent way to much time on, the teachers are piling one milestone after another all at once, and I stopped getting people to come up and say "Wow, you got glasses."

Good luck to book-wrtting, vid-making, and degree-getting!
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a really lousy semester. I mean, really lousy.

My friend John Slatin died a few weeks ago. He was a professor at my school; I was the TA in his class last fall semester. I only met him last August, but we got very close in those few months. He was blind, and needed a good bit of help with stuff like photocopying articles (because he couldn't see the pages) and so on. He also had health problems, and on a couple of occasions I wound up teaching the class while he was at a doctor's appointment. We met constantly to discuss this issue with the schedule, or what to do about that one student who kept missing class, and so on. So we spent a lot of time together. I liked him a lot. He was a sweet, cheerful man with a good sense of humor. And he was kind.

In January when the new term started, he was back in the hospital, at the cancer ward in Houston. It wasn't cancer that killed him, exactly - he had had leukemia for three years, and they killed it thoroughly. No recurrence. But the radiation therapy damaged his cerebellum, which caused loss of fine motor control and slurred speech initially, but got worse until he couldn't walk. He caught pneumonia. They had to do a brain biopsy to diagnose the problem correctly. They prescribed an 8-12 week course of hyperbaric chamber treatments to arrest the progress of the radiation injury, but the pneumonia didn't respond to the drugs, and he couldn't breathe well enough to sit in a hyperbaric chamber. They tried everything they could, but he got worse. He stopped talking. After a while, his wife and siblings made the decision to stop all treatments (except pain-killers). That evening he died.

I was broken up about it for a couple of weeks, and it still makes me sad to write about it.

I've also been over committed this term - I just tried to do too much. Teaching one class, taking three, supervising an internship, doing web stuff for various people. It was the internship that really pushed me over the limit; one of last term's students got an unpaid internship to make an album release site for a local artist. The student learned a ton by doing this, and I was glad to help her do it, but it took an awful lot of time - meetings at odd hours of the night, IM consultations, and so on. Plus the client, while congenial, could be a little difficult at times (e.g. insisting on a really lousy background image for the lyrics pages).

About February I burned out, too. I am just so SICK of taking classes. I'm 28 (29 come next June) and I've been taking classes since I was 4 years old, with just one year off. I'm tired of having three to five different masters to serve every semester. I want to move on with my life. None of this helped my motivation at all.

Between John's death, the vicious work load, and the general malaise, I had to do some pretty serious prioritizing. And there was this one class where the work was very difficult and not very interesting. I gave that work the lowest priority consistently. I have now failed the class. Which is something I haven't done in years. The weirdest thing is how intensely relieved I am. I don't actually care about the grade, at all. I'm just glad it's over. As far as I can see, there aren't going to be any particular negative consequences. In some ways, failure can be very liberating.

So that's what I've been up to. It's been a mortally wearying time of it since about January. And now I've got to go finish up some work for the OTHER two classes, you know, the one's I'm doing okay in.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Tinman. Best wishes to you and his family.

Since the forum has been down my life has been a series of strange disasters following one another - but you're all pretty much aware of them all already, so I'll just leave it at that.

However, that trip I mentioned to see my sister... it's to EGYPT. Freakin' Egypt. So awesome... We're doing a 10 day tour and we're getting to see pretty much everything I wanted to see (including Hapshetsut's temple! Yes!). Now I just have to bone up on my hieroglyphs.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin, my condolences on your friend. The most major thing that happened to me as well was a friend who died last month, from cancer. He was 18 years old, and one of the most inspirational people I've ever met. He was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma last year.

On to the normal post:

YES! Asa is BACK IN ACTION! WOO-HOO!

Anyway, I've been in Forum withdrawal ever since it went down - apparently, I'm still as much the Forum Freak that Commi named me all those years ago. School's been on overload, I got a massive virus two weeks ago, last week I was in Poland; NOW, though... NOW I've got three weeks of break that I'm spending at Tam-tam's house! YES! SO EXCITED!

I finished two stories, three poems and a song. The poems are depressed, so I'm debating whether I should post them here or not - what sort of impression would that make? Scratch that - four poems. One of them is the poem for the February Writer's Group that I wrote back in February, then the forum went down, and I still have it. And I'm waiting to post it. We NEED to get those up and running again.

I know there was more I wanted to say. My hair is now past my hips, and my new goal is to get my braid to wrap all the way around my head, like this, and I've got only a few inches to go for that. So that's something to look forward to.

Lady, you'll just be a few hours away from me! Feel like taking a detour to Israel and visiting? ^_____^

I think I'm done now.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry to hear about your friends, Asa, Tinman.

LadyYates, I'm incredibly jelious, I'd love to go to Egypt, it looks beautiful and all that history! I hope you have some good photos to show us off the pyramids and whatnot.

Oh and Asa....you're not my friend Faith are you? Cause she's very muscial/literal and she just returned from Poland last week.
Tamir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, your friend Faith is not spending three weeks at my house. ^_^ On the other hand, that might have been the same Poland trip....
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was doing charity work in a disabled peoples center...I think.
Tamir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not it. Oh well, that could have been cool. XD
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been cool to meet Asa through Faith (does anyone else keep wanting to type that with two capital A's?), I've only ever met an online friend in real life once...And we've been best friends for 6 years.
Tamir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was definitely fun to meet AsA (to answer your question: yes.) in real life, and I've enjoyed spending time with her since. All thanks to Earthsong! There are so many other forumites I'd love to meet, not to mention the Lady of course, but living in Israel makes that difficult. Alas, alackaday.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't any easier in England.
Cypher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, by the will of the majority (meaning about three people), I am temporarily subverting Asa's dubbing powers and dubbing her AsA.

There. Problem solved. (Speaking of which, we need to start a dubbing thread so the new people and the vets with new names can get dubbed.)

As a few of you might have noticed, I kind of dropped off the world back in January thanks to some computer problems of my own. When I got it fixed, I had work to do, and so on and so forth, so I just now got back to the Forum, only to find it's been totally reworked.

I didn't have any catastrophes during the interim period, so I kind of feel guilty hearing about those of you that did. My condolences to you all.

On the plus side, I'm headed for an art history study trip to Greece and Italy in May. w00t!

It would be wonderful to meet you all in the real world. Unfortunately, the reason why Earthsong's forum so great, because we have so many people from all over, is the reason that's never gonna happen. Cursed irony.

Oh well. I'm a geek in real life anyway. Then again, Im a geek here too, so

Officially dubbed Pez by AsA
Cypher = code = problem = puzzle = Puzz = Pez

Keeper of Skogul's berserk rage, and the Endless Void.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: