FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Running
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Violabelle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Running Reply with quote

Any other runners on here? I've just started in the last couple of months and it's FABULOUS. Best choice I ever made. And I'm the girl who couldn't run half a lap in high school, so it feels like sweet sweet revenge (only on myself, heh). Anyway, I'm training for a 5k, so I thought if anyone else is a runner, we could chat about tips and such.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yes yes! Ever since I was 13, my twin and would wake up early to go run five miles before school! It's what kept us healthy and sane! I'm so glad to meet another runner here! Tried any marathons? It worked well for us because Alex is also an endurance rider. Both he and the horse got fit. Very Happy

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Violabelle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think marathons are waaaaay in my future, but I would like to do one eventually. Have you done them before? The training is harsh! I don't even think I have time to run the miles/week you have to to train!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my brother and I did a marathon a few months ago. It was a Breast Cancer one and we did a LOT better than we thought we would. XD The training was pretty harsh, but, according to Daniel, "No harder than boot camp!" Pfft, that was for him. I wasn't stupid enough to enter the military. Then we did Canter for a Cure, which was with the horses. WHAT a total blast. It was a bit like tie&ride's, where you ride your horse say, 50 miles, then you have to run on foot with your horse behind you for (haha) another 50. The horse gets a break and the human gets fitness! Smile So running has been a big part of my life! I just didn't think anyone else was into it...

Ponce
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really understood the attraction of exercise. Walking and running outdoors are okay; at least you're out and seeing stuff then. But I don't think I'll ever understand people who go to the gym and do boring repetitive motions over and over again.

I'm not in as good shape as I should be, and I know it, but I just plain don't like exercise. I hate getting sweaty and hot; I don't especially like pointless competition; and non-competitive exercise generally bores me silly. And it takes so much time. It kind of bothers me that I don't get more exercise than it takes to walk to campus and back every day (0.8 miles each way). But I don't have enough interest to devote any further time to it, either. Oh well.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sides with Tin*

But just so this thread doesn't fill up with us crankypantses saying how much we hate exercise, I do really wish that I had the energy/willpower to do more physical activity.

And since this is mildly relevant, my husband is doing the annual CN Tower climb for the WWF tomorrow. 144 filghts of stairs! *dies just thinking about it* He's much more fit than I am though.
Ravenna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done running, competitive or for excerise purposes, but last year during my exam period I took up swimming as a break from my studies so I could zone out and get some excerise done. I liked it because I felt like I could always push myself just a little more each time and I didn't feel the burn till I got out of the water.

I tried out the gym this year and quite liked it, and I really want to get back to it as soon as my throat infection clears up. I feel kind of guilty for skipping the gym for so long, but everytime I try to get back into it proper something crops up. >< Although the running machine here always seems to be collapsing - I tend to stick to the bicycles and weights.

Can I ask how you trained/are training up for the running, Vi? I might give it a go meself.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me detests running - a combination of being forced to run at least twice a week, whatever the weather (usually more when it was raining and the sports pitches were unusable) throughout secondary school, and the fact that my dad runs, wearing horribly embarrassing gear... on christmas morning *shudder* has put me off it, and outdoor exercise in general, for good.

I used to do Tae Kwon Do, which is actually very good exercise for those, like me, who hate the boring repeteiveness of most exercise methods - i'd heartily suggest a martial art to both tin and teh Lady. But I dropped that recently. I'm hoping to start something else new next year.

I do enjoy swimming, too, but for the past 4 years i've been well away from the nearest decent pool >.<
horsin'around

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but Crankeypants! Running is so calming and serene! Smile If you get up early, (5 am) and go for a good long run while people are still in bed, in the country, with lovely countryside, on the road or cross-country, it
s absolutely fabulous! Ooh, gotta go, horse feeding. Rolling Eyes

Ponce
Spindrifter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like space; the repetitive nature of running gets to me. I used to wrestle in school, which kept me in good shape and wasn't boring at all... Now carrying speakers and dashing around getting equipment for my job suffices...

Trickier though it is, dactylic hex of the epic-ish style:
"Alt" he is called and his reign is the fierce and the making of pretties.
horsin'around

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running is good though! I went three miles this morning and never felt better. Smile Running is fun, but each to his own, I suppose.

Ponce
Tamir

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like running running. Like, short distances, but high speeds. Much more fun. ^_^ Feeling the wind rush past, and going so fast you almost take off (hah).....it's just great.

But exercise? Meh. I may not be muscular, but I'm in as much shape as I need to be. I can lift heavy things and such, and that's the most strength I ever need. Exercise is not fun for me.
Violabelle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find there are days when I really enjoy running, and then there are days like yesterday where I'm just making myself do it. But I always feel fabulous and strong afterwards Smile Plus it's just so nice to be outside.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what walks are for. ^_^
Violabelle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you don't get that runner's high if you walk!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: